Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tying Down a Bike in Van

Options
  • 13-06-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

Off to collect a new bike Sunday and going to rent a van as its quite a spin home and there are a lot of spares I'm getting too.

Last time I brought a bike by van unfortunately it fell over, side stand wasn't great, it slipped and down it went causing a lot of damage. I had one ratchet over the saddle with a cushion like they do on the ferries, with an additional strap on the pillion grab rail to the floor.

So any tips to ensure my new baby doesn't hit the deck before I get it home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Whip the mattresses out of the house if you think you'll be back home before herself... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Buy a wheel chock and rest stand.

Both very handy things. And ratchet over swingarm. You could do a rally stage it wont move.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tying bikes down is a bit of an art, anything above the suspension is only really there for stabilisation. The real work is done at the wheels and that is why wheel chocks work so well.
    The rear wheel also benefits from being held down as well, I think the best solution is a front wheel chock and a rear strap.
    You can buy kits that have them both for not much money link but if you are going this weekend then you may be able to rig something up using straps and the rear wheel/swingarm.
    Any straps used that compress the suspension are liable to fall off when the bike bounces in the van.
    People hook tie downs on the handlebars or triple clamp and the bike suspension compresses releasing the tiedown and the bike goes over.
    Ratcheting the pressure on a bike on a sidestand can also lead to sidestands getting bent or broken they aren't meant to take the pressure.
    The forces are both fore and aft as well as side to side. so when you put the bike in the van try and wedge the front wheel into a corner if you don't have a chock.
    Then use a ratchet strap to pull the rear wheel down and slightly forward, then use straps to stop lateral movement.

Drive for a mile then check the strap tension, drive for 5 miles then check again.
    If its all good then it will probably stay that way but regular checks are no harm at all every 50 mile or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Thanks for the tips lads.

Those tie down kits seem to be the job alright but probably won't be able to get one in time unless I put off collecting until next week.

Wedging the front in a corner appears to be the best option, with the rear tied down if not.

With a nice soft matress next to it just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I dont have any, but maybe see if you can borrow some ratchet straps from somewhere before you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If you've no wheel chocky yoke :

Push the bike into front corner of the van

Fold up the sidestand

Turn the steering full lock so the front wheel is pointing towards the opposite side
    ( NOT pointing into the corner )

Put something between the bar end and side of van

Now to keep it there, put a strap from the very bottom of the front fork nearest the side of the van DIAGONALLY to the front corner of the van

Put something between the rear wheel and the side of the van to stop it gradually bouncing inward

That will also stop the tailpiece grinding off the side of the van

Tie the rear wheel or swingarm to side of van to stop it bouncing outward

Take off the seat, find something solid, put a strap from it to up high-ish on the van

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's no science to it.

Go to Aldi pick up pack of ratchet straps they sell them in a pack of 4.

Most vans have u clips in the four corner floors.

Put the bike on side stand ,put it in gear and ratchet the the front strap around the fork cross. Ratchet the rear around the passenger grab handles.

The bike won't go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Roll bike into van tight to left side, leave in side stand and in gear, make sure front wheel is wedged into front left corner of van, ensure you have a tie hook in this same corner at low level. Ratchet strap from this hook up around headstock and back down again. This will keep the bike in place but you can fit another couple of straps for comfort/ peace of mind.

I have done dozens of journeys like this without any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Straps, lots of them. Centre stand. In Gear. Disable the alarm. Put a strap on the brake on the handle bar to keep it engaged. Strap to all 4 corners in the van using the loops on the ground. Place a duvet or 4 over the bike. Take it easy.

Stupid question: why can't you lie a bike on it's side for these journeys?

Assuming it's because oil/petrol/etc. will move, surely if you just leave the bike upright for an hour before starting it, after the journey, all fluids would have returned to normal places?

(I don't own a motorbike, never rode one, etc just genuinely curious).

• Advertisement

Stupid question: why can't you lie a bike on it's side for these journeys?

Assuming it's because oil/petrol/etc. will move, surely if you just leave the bike upright for an hour before starting it, after the journey, all fluids would have returned to normal places?

(I don't own a motorbike, never rode one, etc just genuinely curious).

Because plastics break, levers, indicators and handlebars get bounced off the floor and bikes just get a general beating from lying down and being bounced down the road on their side.
    Bikes have good suspension and that is why they are moved standing up so the suspension can take the vibration and movement not the parts that aren't designed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I got a bike delivered by a UK company and they just had loads of old sofa cushions. But a few against the side of the van, then the bike and more cushions to rachet strap around. Not a bit of damage to my bike and there was a bike inside mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Del2005 wrote: »
    I got a bike delivered by a UK company and they just had loads of old sofa cushions. But a few against the side of the van, then the bike and more cushions to rachet strap around. Not a bit of damage to my bike and there was a bike inside mine.

Was it a baby bike :)

Sorry couldn't resist

Del2005 wrote: »

But that was standing up very different story lying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I collected my bike in a van. We put a scaffold plank in under the side stand to hold it tight against the wall and then used 3 straps to tie it to the side of the van. Kicked the bike into gear and it barely moved the whole way from dublin city ctr in via Carlow and down to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Advertisement