Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migration Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

fash wrote: »
    Solutions: recognizing the difficulties and prioritizing integration measures. That means being strongly aware of the limitations of our capacity (and see following point : willingness) to help.
    Massively increase the resources (and the expectation of cost going forward) spent on ensuring integration of those permitted to remain.
    Supporting (and listening to) minorities within the minorities: ex- Muslims, gay Muslims, women etc. - to break down group identity.
    Prioritizing migration of such minorities as well as migration from countries with more secular minded populations: Turkey, Iran etc.

Couldn't agree more.

Oh, I get it...then we just agree and there's nothing to talk about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Midlife wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

The devil's in the details though isn't it, e.g.

"That means being strongly aware of the limitations of our capacity (and see following point : willingness) to help."

If you are opposing any more immigration, or even just want far more selectivity about immigration (asking you to suspend disbelief & assume for a sec, that some such people are not just more polite ignorant bigots) you probably think the limit is being approached. If you see no issue with current levels of immigration, you most likely think that limit is far away and we'll let just let the future worry about it anyway.

I think there is a strong moral, almost faith aspect to this. If you believe humanist ideas it is (IMO) difficult to oppose just allowing any people into the West who seek to immigrate from far poorer/unstable countries once you think Western countries are not near that capacity limit.

We are all humans & equal. Where we were born is just an accident. Borders and culture and religion are arbitrary. If you believe all that quite deeply its hard to accept just saying "no" to someone poor & uneducated living a hard life in another country (while you have a guilty, comfortable existence in a rich, well organised country).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

fly_agaric wrote: »
    The devil's in the details though isn't it, e.g.

"That means being strongly aware of the limitations of our capacity (and see following point : willingness) to help."

If you are opposing any more immigration, or even just want far more selectivity about immigration (asking you to suspend disbelief & assume for a sec, that some such people are not just more polite ignorant bigots) you probably think the limit is being approached. If you see no issue with current levels of immigration, you most likely think that limit is far away and we'll let just let the future worry about it anyway.

I think there is a strong moral, almost faith aspect to this. If you believe humanist ideas it is (IMO) difficult to oppose just allowing any people into the West who seek to immigrate from far poorer/unstable countries once you think Western countries are not near that capacity limit.

We are all humans & equal. Where we were born is just an accident. Borders and culture and religion are arbitrary. If you believe all that quite deeply its hard to accept just saying "no" to someone poor & uneducated living a hard life in another country (while you have a guilty, comfortable existence in a rich, well organised country).
    True enough- it is also much easier to be harsh with abstract ideas of categories of people. Nevertheless for me it is more important that people agree that there is a reasonable limit of some sort that needs to be taken in to consideration - whether that limit is 1,000 or 1,000,000 is far less important and a matter for discussion. The situation in Sweden (as well as the thinking that led to it) - where politicians and opinion formers refused to admit it discuss the idea of a limit - until they were forced by reality to do so and suddenly imposed it in a strict fashion is what must be avoided.

EDIT: thinking about it, once people agree that there is a limit, the question is why are we agreeing that there should be a limit, what bad things happen if that limit is exceeded etc. - based on an empirical analysis of that, one can determine what numbers can readily be accepted.

Related to this topic of the importance of ethnic identity, the most recent slatestarcodex blog post reviews "The secret of our success" by anthropologist Joseph Henrich, which I for one found interesting.

https://slatestarcodex.com/2019/06/05/list-of-passages-i-highlighted-in-my-copy-of-the-secret-of-our-success/

Finally, the psychological machinery that underpins how we think about ‘race’ actually evolved to parse ethnicity, not race. You might be confused by this distinction since race and ethnicity are so often mixed up. Ethnic group membership is assigned based on culturally-transmitted markers, like language or dialect. By contrast, racial groups are marked and assigned according to perceived morphological traits, such as color or hair form, which are genetically transmitted. Our folk-sociologcial abilities evolved to pick out ethnic groups, or tribes. However, cues like skin color or hair form can pose as ethnic markers in the modern world because members of different ethnic groups sometimes also share markers like skin color/hair form, and racial cues can automatically and unconsciously ‘trick’ our psychology into thinking that different ethnic groups exist. And, this byproduct can be harnessed and reified by cultural evolution to create linguistically labeled racial categories and racism.

Underlining this point is the fact that racial cues do not have cognitive priority over ethnic cues: when children or adults encounter a situation in which accent or language indicate ‘same ethnicity’ but skin color indicates ‘different race’, the ethno-linguistic markers trump the racial markers. That is, children pick as a friend someone of a different race who speaks their dialect over someone of the same race who speaks a different dialect. [311] Even weaker cues like dress can sometimes trump racial cues. The tendency of children and adults to preferentially learn and interact with those who share their racial markers (mistaken for ethnic cues) likely contributes to the maintenance of cultural differences between racially marked populations, even in the same neighborhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

fash wrote: »
    True enough- it is also much easier to be harsh with abstract ideas of categories of people. Nevertheless for me it is more important that people agree that there is a reasonable limit of some sort that needs to be taken in to consideration - whether that limit is 1,000 or 1,000,000 is far less important and a matter for discussion. The situation in Sweden (as well as the thinking that led to it) - where politicians and opinion formers refused to admit it discuss the idea of a limit - until they were forced by reality to do so and suddenly imposed it in a strict fashion is what must be avoided.

True, usually an uproar/campaign here when the govt. goes to deport anyone...probably even those theoretically against immigration don't like it too much if they actually personally know the person being deported.
    Should never get to that point. If they are claiming asylum etc. the decision should be quite quick and then actually enforced (even if the cost is really hideous, finding out where the person comes from+ likely paying whatever backhanders may need to be paid so that country will take them back.

I don't think such limits can ever be agreed. IMO the only limit most people on other side of this argument may recognise is if it does blow up in their faces.

edit: I suppose the pull factor would greatly reduce then anyway, economic migrants will not be as attracted to politically unstable countries even if they are still wealthier than their own country...

Even then, there would be many other factors involved if, say, a worse/ more disruptive schism between muslims/non muslims ever does open up in a Western country after very large amounts of immigration. These other factors can be given all the blame after the fact.
    Related to this topic of the importance of ethnic identity, the most recent slatestarcodex blog post reviews "The secret of our success" by anthropologist Joseph Henrich, which I for one found interesting.

Does look like an interesting book.
    Finally, the psychological machinery that underpins how we think about ‘race’ actually evolved to parse ethnicity, not race. You might be confused by this distinction since race and ethnicity are so often mixed up. Ethnic group membership is assigned based on culturally-transmitted markers, like language or dialect. By contrast, racial groups are marked and assigned according to perceived morphological traits, such as color or hair form, which are genetically transmitted. Our folk-sociologcial abilities evolved to pick out ethnic groups, or tribes. However, cues like skin color or hair form can pose as ethnic markers in the modern world because members of different ethnic groups sometimes also share markers like skin color/hair form, and racial cues can automatically and unconsciously ‘trick’ our psychology into thinking that different ethnic groups exist. And, this byproduct can be harnessed and reified by cultural evolution to create linguistically labeled racial categories and racism.

Underlining this point is the fact that racial cues do not have cognitive priority over ethnic cues: when children or adults encounter a situation in which accent or language indicate ‘same ethnicity’ but skin color indicates ‘different race’, the ethno-linguistic markers trump the racial markers. That is, children pick as a friend someone of a different race who speaks their dialect over someone of the same race who speaks a different dialect. [311] Even weaker cues like dress can sometimes trump racial cues. The tendency of children and adults to preferentially learn and interact with those who share their racial markers (mistaken for ethnic cues) likely contributes to the maintenance of cultural differences between racially marked populations, even in the same neighborhood.

In most cases all the identity markers will line up together for children when "inside" a given group? (people in my "in" group look like me, talk like me, dress like me, follow same customs, invoke same gods, if it looks like a duck etc...). Maybe there's a few places on earth that are not like that, not many I'd say either now or in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

When asked to transpose your beliefs into [even attempted] solutions, you complain that other people aren't asked to do it -- which is of course nothing more than a cop-out.

It's an observation, and I think it speaks to how genuine you are in seeking a solution. For example:
    And no, I don't concede that mass migration (a term you always carefully use) has been a negative for Europe.

So to summarise, you're asking me to provide a solution without accepting the terms of the problem. Let be honest - you are not interested in solutions to problems that you are in denial of.
    while simultaneously firing the word 'disingenuous' around.

Because it is disingenuous.
    All I ask is that you break out of this little intellectual merry-go-round you take us all on, and actually explain why anyone should ever be persuaded to your point of view if it offers no meaningful answers -- only complaints. If you think the governments are getting it wrong.. . if you think the commentators are getting it wrong . . if you think pro-immigration people are getting it wrong. . . .then (seeing as being asked to think of your own solutions seems almost offensive to you)

Again, as if I haven't already addressed this.

The problem is the policy of permitting and encouraging mass migration into Europe has been a net negative for Europeans. The solution is to end the policy of permitting and encouraging mass migration into Europe. Mass migration into Europe is not a natural state like gravity or rain. It is a policy that has been embarked upon. It is a bad policy. And like any bad policy it should be ended. This is not controversial.

Now if you want to advance the conversation, then do so. A conversation is two sided. But if you want to go back round to denial of the problem in the face of all evidence then don't blame me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Sand wrote: »
    It's an observation, and I think it speaks to how genuine you are in seeking a solution. For example:

So to summarise, you're asking me to provide a solution without accepting the terms of the problem. Let be honest - you are not interested in solutions to problems that you are in denial of.

The problem is the policy of permitting and encouraging mass migration into Europe has been a net negative for Europeans. The solution is to end the policy of permitting and encouraging mass migration into Europe. Mass migration into Europe is not a natural state like gravity or rain. It is a policy that has been embarked upon. It is a bad policy. And like any bad policy it should be ended. This is not controversial.

Now if you want to advance the conversation, then do so. A conversation is two sided. But if you want to go back round to denial of the problem in the face of all evidence then don't blame me.

Where is the policy you refer to laid out?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What policy of permitting mass immigration into Europe? I can see no basis in reality for this assertion.

Never mind encouraging.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

MrFresh wrote: »
    Where is the policy you refer to laid out?
    Brian? wrote: »
    What policy of permitting mass immigration into Europe? I can see no basis in reality for this assertion.

Never mind encouraging.

This pretence at ignorance is all so tiresome. On the old Politics forum there was a sticky post, inserting a rule that ignorance of the Dublin Regulation was an infraction, to deal with repeated attempts to derail threads. A similar rule-set would help deal with these stupid "Oh, migration policy? What migration policy? Never heard of it" posts on a mass migration thread.

This pretence at ignorance is all so tiresome. On the old Politics forum there was a sticky post, inserting a rule that ignorance of the Dublin Regulation was an infraction, to deal with repeated attempts to derail threads. A similar rule-set would help deal with these stupid "Oh, migration policy? What migration policy? Never heard of it" posts on a mass migration thread.

The Dublin policy is absolutely not an endorsement of mass migration. It sets our rules for controlled immigration.

they/them/theirs

The Dublin policy is absolutely not an endorsement of mass migration. It sets our rules for controlled immigration.

So you accept there is a policy now? Strange, because before you pretended ignorance of any policy. Now suddenly you are completely familiar with the Dublin Regulation and its implications? (BTW, you are not if you think it sets the rules for controlled immigration. It sets the EU directive for asylum claims in the first country of entry to the EU. The previous infraction policy in the old Politics forum was to combat the incorrect claim that no asylum claim in Ireland could be genuine because Ireland could never be the first country of entry to the EU).

This despite the English (for example) becoming a minority within their own capital. Or an Islamic insurgency raging throughout western Europe with multiple suicide bombings by 'homegrown' terrorists. Or the girls of Rotterham being exposed to the sexual mores of Pakistan. All entirely random and unrelated to government policy regarding immigration over the past 70 years.

As I said before, the pretence is all so tiresome. If you felt you had a genuine argument you wouldn't pretend to be so ignorant of the realities of the situation. The pretence of ignorance is just derailment of a genuine discussion of the real results of mass migration into Europe. The mods previously treated such pretence/ignorance of migration policy as being an infraction, to foster genuine debate and prevent derailment. My view is they should do so again.

• Advertisement

So you accept there is a policy now?

I always accepted it.

[quiote]Strange, because before you pretended ignorance of any policy. [/quote]

No I did not. Can you quote an example of me disagreeing on its existence
    Now suddenly you are completely familiar with the Dublin Regulation and its implications? (BTW, you are not if you think it sets the rules for controlled immigration. It sets the EU directive for asylum claims in the first country of entry to the EU. The previous infraction policy in the old Politics forum was to combat the incorrect claim that no asylum claim in Ireland could be genuine because Ireland could never be the first country of entry to the EU).

This despite the English (for example) becoming a minority within their own capital. Or an Islamic insurgency raging throughout western Europe with multiple suicide bombings by 'homegrown' terrorists. Or the girls of Rotterham being exposed to the sexual mores of Pakistan. All entirely random and unrelated to government policy regarding immigration over the past 70 years.

As I said before, the pretence is all so tiresome. If you felt you had a genuine argument you wouldn't pretend to be so ignorant of the realities of the situation. The pretence of ignorance is just derailment of a genuine discussion of the real results of mass migration into Europe. The mods previously treated such pretence/ignorance of migration policy as being an infraction, to foster genuine debate and prevent derailment. My view is they should do so again.

This is a roasting hot strawman.

they/them/theirs

Am I going crazy here? The Dublin regulation sets out how each government should deal with refugee claims. Am I wrong?

they/them/theirs

I’m slightly irked now. I’m waiting for at least one of the following:

1. Proof I denied the existence of the Dublin regulation

2. Proof I believe in open borders

3. Proof I claimed there are no negative effects of mass immigration

they/them/theirs

If that rule were in place you would be the one to be infracted. You claimed

The problem is the policy of permitting and encouraging mass migration into Europe has been a net negative for European

Now you are claiming this refers to the Dublin Regulation. This is nonsense. How exactly does the Dublin Regulation encourage or permit mass migration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

You will be waiting as the proof doesn't exist. He has you down as a libard/snowflake/virtue signalling cuck. So all the above have been projected on to you before you ve even written a word. It's the new reality.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    You will be waiting as the proof doesn't exist. He has you down as a libard/snowflake/virtue signalling cuck. So all the above have been projected on to you before you ve even written a word. It's the new reality.

Give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he's trying to figure out what the Dublin Regulation is. Probably never read it before. A lot of anti-immigration people haven't a notion of what it actually is and so they believe the nonsense headlines about Merkel's open borders.

Give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he's trying to figure out what the Dublin Regulation is. Probably never read it before. A lot of anti-immigration people haven't a notion of what it actually is and so they believe the nonsense headlines about Merkel's open borders.

it's insane that the same people are obsessed with fake news, absolutely insane.

Am I going crazy here? The Dublin regulation sets out how each government should deal with refugee claims. Am I wrong?

As kindly as I can put it, you are inconsistent. Controlled immigration and refugee claims are different, even though open border advocates attempt to conflate the two. The latter claim is closest to the truth, but even that is not an accurate summation of the regulation's purpose.

Let me help you out. See the Dublin Regulation here
    The Dublin III Regulation provides a mechanism for determining which country is responsible for examining an application for international protection that has been lodged in one of the member states by a third country national or a stateless person.

Now some might question why you have such strong opinions on mass migration yet be so uninformed on the basics (such as the Dublin regulation) that you can offer two contradictory opinions on its purpose and be wrong both times. But I accept serious discussion of the issue is hugely stifled. The learning opportunity for yourself is not the nitty gritty of the regulation but why you have such strong views on a topic, without any real knowledge of the topic.

All of this is just a strawman. Again, it's all so tiresome. Stick to what I stated.
    If that rule were in place you would be the one to be infracted. You claimed

Now you are claiming this refers to the Dublin Regulation. This is nonsense. How exactly does the Dublin Regulation encourage or permit mass migration?

I thought a bit how to address this post. Firstly that you can so misunderstand a straightforward point is problematic. But it is your problem. Secondly that fanatical group-think is so prevalent that other people double down on this ill-founded post is problematic. But that is their problem.

But finally,I had to consider how to address this ill founded post without giving the moderators an excuse to throw their hands up and shut the thread down again. Open border advocates such as yourself want no discussion and no debate about the policy of mass migration into Europe, much as there has been no discussion and no debate for the past 70 years. As the policy is being carried out, you don't have to argue *for* it. It clearly benefits you to be disruptive and deny any genuine discussion by throwing in stupid posts like the above and hoping to provoke a reaction, derail the thread and turn it into a trainwreak.

Lets just agree that we will never agree on this topic because I prioritise in what benefits Europeans, and you do not. Mass migration does not benefit Europeans. It has never benefited any indigenous people.

As kindly as I can put it, you are inconsistent. Controlled immigration and refugee claims are different, even though open border advocates attempt to conflate the two. The latter claim is closest to the truth, but even that is not an accurate summation of the regulation's purpose.

Now some might question why you have such strong opinions on mass migration yet be so uninformed on the basics (such as the Dublin regulation) that you can offer two contradictory opinions on its purpose and be wrong both times. But I accept serious discussion of the issue is hugely stifled. The learning opportunity for yourself is not the nitty gritty of the regulation but why you have such strong views on a topic, without any real knowledge of the topic.

All of this is just a strawman. Again, it's all so tiresome. Stick to what I stated.

I thought a bit how to address this post. Firstly that you can so misunderstand a straightforward point is problematic. But it is your problem. Secondly that fanatical group-think is so prevalent that other people double down on this ill-founded post is problematic. But that is their problem.

But finally,I had to consider how to address this ill founded post without giving the moderators an excuse to throw their hands up and shut the thread down again. Open border advocates such as yourself want no discussion and no debate about the policy of mass migration into Europe, much as there has been no discussion and no debate for the past 70 years. As the policy is being carried out, you don't have to argue *for* it. It clearly benefits you to be disruptive and deny any genuine discussion by throwing in stupid posts like the above and hoping to provoke a reaction, derail the thread and turn it into a trainwreak.

Lets just agree that we will never agree on this topic because I prioritise in what benefits Europeans, and you do not. Mass migration does not benefit Europeans. It has never benefited any indigenous people.

No, you claimed there was a certain policy in operation. When asked where it was set out you made a reference to the Dublin Regulation. So either state where the policy is laid out or explain how the Dublin regulation encourages mass migration into Europe. It's very simple. I'm not interested in your opinion of me, although I would be interested in seeing your proof I'm an advocate of open borders, I just want to see you back up your claim.

The Dublin regulation is a regulation to deal with refugees. It’s part of a plethora of laws and regulation that control immigration into the EU. I don’t see the inconsistency.

I didn’t offer 2 contradictory definitions of its purpose. Nice attempt at an ad hominem though. I can tell it took a while to brew up.

No. You accused me of something. I asked for proof. Can you prove any of these?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

The Dublin regulation is a regulation to deal with refugees. It’s part of a plethora of laws and regulation that control immigration into the EU. I don’t see the inconsistency.

Your inability to see the inconsistency is entirely your problem. Though I kindly advise it is better to educate yourself on a topic before holding strong views on it.

I don't expect you to concede this publicly. Human beings are unfortunately built to see a view that contradicts a deeply held belief the same as a deadly attack on their very life, and you react with the same stubborn resistance. A survival trait no doubt, but not one which lends itself to truth. But privately, to yourself, you must question why you can offer two answers as to what the Dublin regulation is, be wrong both times, and yet be totally convinced you are right. Are these your own views you have reached on the evidence? Clearly they are not. So why are you parroting someone else's views? Don't explain it to me, explain it to yourself.
    I didn’t offer 2 contradictory definitions of its purpose. Nice attempt at an ad hominem though. I can tell it took a while to brew up.

You did. It did not.
    No. You accused me of something. I asked for proof. Can you prove any of these?

Can you quote me accusing you of these things? Let us save time. You cannot. Hence, a strawman.

I'm giving you more credit than Mr Fresh. I'm crediting that you are genuine in your mistakes and misinformation, not malicious. I am crediting that you prioritise the polices that benefit Europeans, and reject those that do not. If I am incorrect on this, let me know and I will accept that.

In fairness Sand you just said that a poster is an advocate of open borders about 3 posts ago. You throw these comments around a fair bit. It's kind of tar everyone with the same brush.

Also,

this seems quite clear to me in terms of the flow of conversation

Never mind encouraging.

I think you should stop evading and telling people 'they don't get it' any time your argument is shown to be flawed. It's happened a few times at this stage.

when asked for a policy permitting mass immigration into europe, you brought up the Dublin regulation in the very next post.

Now you're saying this doesn't permitt mass immigration so tell us, is there an actual policy?

Your inability to see the inconsistency is entirely your problem. Though I kindly advise it is better to educate yourself on a topic before holding strong views on it.

I don't expect you to concede this publicly. Human beings are unfortunately built to see a view that contradicts a deeply held belief the same as a deadly attack on their very life, and you react with the same stubborn resistance. A survival trait no doubt, but not one which lends itself to truth. But privately, to yourself, you must question why you can offer two answers as to what the Dublin regulation is, be wrong both times, and yet be totally convinced you are right. Are these your own views you have reached on the evidence? Clearly they are not. So why are you parroting someone else's views? Don't explain it to me, explain it to yourself.

What a load of condescending waffle.

I don’t even know how to reply to most of it.

I know very clearly what the Dublin regulation is: an agreement among EU nations on how to deal with refugees claiming asylum in the EU.

Nothing I have written has contradicted that.
    You did. It did not.

Can you quote me accusing you of these things? Let us save time. You cannot. Hence, a strawman.

I'm giving you more credit than Mr Fresh. I'm crediting that you are genuine in your mistakes and misinformation, not malicious. I am crediting that you prioritise the polices that benefit Europeans, and reject those that do not. If I am incorrect on this, let me know and I will accept that.

You accused me of being an advocate for open borders. I am not.

You said the Dublin regulation encouraged mass immigration. It doesn’t.

Before now at least you debated honestly, even if you were largely wrong. I refuse to engage anymore if you’re simply going to lie.

they/them/theirs

[Quote: Brian?]

Never mind encouraging.[/quote]

How does the Dublin regulation encourage mass migration.

they/them/theirs

So you accept there is a policy now? Strange, because before you pretended ignorance of any policy. Now suddenly you are completely familiar with the Dublin Regulation and its implications? (BTW, you are not if you think it sets the rules for controlled immigration. It sets the EU directive for asylum claims in the first country of entry to the EU. The previous infraction policy in the old Politics forum was to combat the incorrect claim that no asylum claim in Ireland could be genuine because Ireland could never be the first country of entry to the EU).

When did I Deny the existence of the Dublin regulation?

they/them/theirs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Moleskin

Im just back from a holiday in Prague and Budapest. One thing I noticed was the absence of Muslims and I didnt miss them, so tired of seeing so many of these depressed looking covered up women in my neighbourhood and many many Irish people feel the same but are afraid to say it.

Refugees and there are very few genuine ones wont go to poorer countries, they will go where Government handouts are good.
    The numbers of non nationals living in the North inner city of Dublin is beyond comprehension,, huge numbers in Longford and Westmeath too and anywhere were rent is cheap.

Trying to provide social housing is like filling a sieve, the more houses you build the more will come, many parts of Dublin now are like Lagos, no go areas and its lawless. Wait until the next downturn hits and then we will really reap what we let happen. The powers that be dont care about Tyrellstown or Longfird or Mullingar, its out of sight and out of mind and houses in nice areas wont be bought up by local authorities in great numbers so areas dont become ghettoes in Foxrock, Cabineteely, Howth and Clontarf.

This country is going to be in very serios trouble when the next recession hits.

Moleskin wrote: »
    Im just back from a holiday in Prague and Budapest. One thing I noticed was the absence of Muslims and I didnt miss them, so tired of seeing so many of these depressed looking covered up women in my neighbourhood and many many Irish people feel the same but are afraid to say it.

Refugees and there are very few genuine ones wont go to poorer countries, they will go where Government handouts are good.
    The numbers of non nationals living in the North inner city of Dublin is beyond comprehension,, huge numbers in Longford and Westmeath too and anywhere were rent is cheap.

Trying to provide social housing is like filling a sieve, the more houses you build the more will come, many parts of Dublin now are like Lagos, no go areas and its lawless. Wait until the next downturn hits and then we will really reap what we let happen. The powers that be dont care about Tyrellstown or Longfird or Mullingar, its out of sight and out of mind and houses in nice areas wont be bought up by local authorities in great numbers so areas dont become ghettoes in Foxrock, Cabineteely, Howth and Clontarf.

This country is going to be in very serios trouble when the next recession hits.

I'm unsure why Muslims are so much dangerous in a recession but totally agree with your points about ghettos.

Sadly, judging from boards, when people look at Darndale or Neilstown they see 'scummers'. I guess if there's a predomintly muslim disadvantaged area, they'll see 'Muslim scummers'.

It's the Nimby crowd that are the problem. Everyone agrees with social housing as long as they're all small houses in areas they don't want to live in. Rediculous. Social housing should mean fully integrated social housing, yeah sure some people will luck out and get something we percieve they don't deserve but we know 100% we're on a path towards ghettos with anything else.

Like you say, the elite don't worry about this in their leafy Dublin suburbs and then say people who's areas are undergoing massive change should be more inclusive.

Rediculous irresponsible government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It’s hard to have any debate on this subject when literally in the same interview at centerparcs, Leo’s considering letting Lisa smith back into the country, then In the next breath explains how he’s all for protecting child welfare after kids found a gun in the park.

I don’t care about the religion aspect, just the numbers.

The knock on affects of this current migration are going to kill us down the line. We have to remember that the majority of these people are not the hard working polish, they are not hard working Indian or even Pakistani migrants. They are people who mostly do not work and subsist. They likely feel like they have won the lotto once they get out of direct provision in Ireland, social
    Welfare, free house(essentially), free education(all the way to college as the parents usually don’t work so full grant), clean water, children's allowance, illness benefit etc etc...

Then if the kids decide to stick with mommy and daddy’s “culture” we have a multiplication issue.

If Brexit goes as the leaver brits have planned, Ireland will be up a certain creek without a certain tool as we are the only English speaking welfare state left. If even 10% of what currently goes to England decide to come
    here we would be overwhelmed.

Anyone who’s pro migration(in its current state) think of the following,

Do you ever want a house?

Do you want your children to have access to further education?

Do you want wages to rise?

Do you want rents to go down?

Do you want to pay less tax?

If you answered yes to any of those, engage in reasonable debate for the love of god/allah or whoever.

It’s terrible that these people don’t have to the same life as us, I understand that, but instead of them
    rising to our level, they will bring us to theirs as none of this is planned.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    It’s hard to have any debate on this subject when literally in the same interview at centerparcs, Leo’s considering letting Lisa smith back into the country, then In the next breath explains how he’s all for protecting child welfare after kids found a gun in the park.

I don’t care about the religion aspect, just the numbers.

The knock on affects of this current migration are going to kill us down the line. We have to remember that the majority of these people are not the hard working polish, they are not hard working Indian or even Pakistani migrants. They are people who mostly do not work and subsist. They likely feel like they have won the lotto once they get out of direct provision in Ireland, social
    Welfare, free house(essentially), free education(all the way to college as the parents usually don’t work so full grant), clean water, children's allowance, illness benefit etc etc...

Then if the kids decide to stick with mommy and daddy’s “culture” we have a multiplication issue.

If Brexit goes as the leaver brits have planned, Ireland will be up a certain creek without a certain tool as we are the only English speaking welfare state left. If even 10% of what currently goes to England decide to come
    here we would be overwhelmed.

Anyone who’s pro migration(in its current state) think of the following,

Do you ever want a house?

Do you want your children to have access to further education?

Do you want wages to rise?

Do you want rents to go down?

Do you want to pay less tax?

If you answered yes to any of those, engage in reasonable debate for the love of god/allah or whoever.

It’s terrible that these people don’t have to the same life as us, I understand that, but instead of them
    rising to our level, they will bring us to theirs as none of this is planned.

Link...proof...research either qualitative or quantitative would be helpful ... on th other hand i've found research around xenophobia from longitudinal research by the ESRI [2002-2014] some of which I quote below. You will find hints of your demographic in the second 2 paragraphs.

'the attitude of Irish-born people towards immigrants followed our boom and bust economic cycle, shifting from positive to negative as the recession took hold and regaining some ground as the economy recovered. Responses by individuals varied, depending on financial security, educational qualifications or social class. The greatest resistance to further immigration was displayed by low-income groups that regarded foreign workers as competitors for jobs and housing.

Apart from economic considerations in opposing immigration, underlying racism and xenophobia were detected. People surveyed were less likely to oppose entry by migrants with similar ethnic or cultural antecedents'

Incipient racism is evident from findings that nearly half of Irish adults believe some cultures are superior to others, while 45 per cent take the view that individuals from certain cultures work harder.

• Advertisement

thomas 123 wrote: »

Do you mean refugees? Genuine question, it wasn't totally clear from your post.

Advertisement