Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance dog complaint - Barking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    As his cctv system records sound It can show there are other dogs barking and not just the op dog.

I suggest a bit if muzzle training by the op. When dig starts barking put on the muzzle for a few minutes. Make it clear to the dog that if he barks muzzle goes in.

What solutions do you have?

For court to be mentioned the neighbours are seriously pissed. Nobody home for 7-8 hours each day gives the neighbors plenty of time to do harm.

You did not suggest a bit of muzzle training, muzzles should not be used to train your dog not to bark anyway. You said

"Get a muzzle for the dog. If you feel it is not your dog doing the barking record the days when the dog has a muzzle."

suggesting he should leave the muzzle on all day and record it. Please educate yourself for what a muzzle should be used for. Posters here have already given a humane solution - leave the dog in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

SteM wrote: »

It's amazing the amount of people that want a dog, a pack animal, but can't or won't spend time with it. Then they're surprised when the animal complains and people they live around complaining.

It certainly is. Dog owners seem to be oblivious to the fact that others might have a problem with their dogs behaviour. Never mind the ones who don't clean up after them.

@ OP:- Leaving a dog alone all day is cruel. If you can't be there to keep a dog company, then give it to someone else.
    It's your fault/problem, not the dog's.
    You seem to be patting yourself on the back for having a dog licence for some reason. You've more responsibility than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

SteM wrote: »
    You did not suggest a bit of muzzle training, muzzles should not be used to train your dog not to bark anyway. You said

"Get a muzzle for the dog. If you feel it is not your dog doing the barking record the days when the dog has a muzzle."

suggesting he should leave the muzzle on all day and record it. Please educate yourself for what a muzzle should be used for. Posters here have already given a humane solution - leave the dog in the house.

I did suggest it in my last post, read it and educate yourself.

Where did i say leave muzzle on all day.??? You should actually read my post with a lot more care!

Leave the dog inside all day locked into a room?? Are you for real? That is cruelty. As previous poster said these are pack animals and you would leave them locked For 7-8 hours per day. Then again at night?
    Have you any idea how tempered that dog would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

We have a medium/large dog - a lab. When we are not home he is inside. Generally asleep. I know this because 1) if I come home early than he expects I see him sleeping and be if I stick to the normal routine but work from home he sleeps all day.

The easiest solution imo is just to bring the dog inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Why not fit the Dog with an anti barking collar?...they are quite cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Just to add that bringing the dog inside might not be a solution. My neighbour has 2 dogs. She seems to leave the backdoor open all hours to give them the run of the place - though even when they're left in they'll position themselves in an upstairs bedroom or at the front kithcen window and bark at everything that moves.
    One of her previous pets (a black lab - now dead thankfully) would bark its head off for hours. 3-4 hours constant barking. The dogs weren't walked, stuck in a back garden all day.
    At this stage I wish dogs would be banned from estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

archer22 wrote: »

Most of these are shock collars so they are preventing any verbal communication rather than inappropriate communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Anti bark collars are cruel, don’t work and cause psychological damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

em_cat wrote: »
    Anti bark collars are cruel, don’t work and cause psychological damage.

Ahh ok discomfort to the Dog comes before discomfort to the neighbours...got it. cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There's probably a few gaps in the OP's story but any diving could result in the online beating up of the OP. Lets not go there. The OP is looking to remedy the situation, so offering constructive advice is the name of the game.

The issue has got serious enough that residents are getting together and district court threats are being made. If they have a record of raising this with you previously then this doesn't reflect well on the OP from a court perspective, even if the OP isn't at fault.

So a few things:

Is your dog causing the issue? (I had a friend who had a note put in his door about a similar issue complaining about dog barking. My friend doesn't have a dog!) It can be hard to really judge where the sound is coming from if there are other dogs in the neighbourhood so this is an important thing to establish.

If you have the technology to do it, start tracking when your dog barks and for how long. Dont cut corners or be conservative, log every moment. If your dog is barking randomly for no reason then you have an issue. (And a bigger issue than just noise, it means your dog is distressed about something) Now while this log may not change the minds of your neighbours it will give you a sense of the reality.

If you really feel your dog isn't the issue and its another dog, then take your dog indoors for a week and let your neighbour know. If barking continues then clearly its not your dog.

Either way, leaving a dog unattended for 6-7 hours 5 days a week is not fair on an animal who needs the attention of others. I would seriously consider using doggy day care at least once a week.

Hope you get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Ahh ok discomfort to the Dog comes before discomfort to the neighbours...got it. cheers

No the decisions of the owner about proper care and training is leading to the discomfort of the neighbours.
    If someone owns a barker who can't be trained or they cant be bothered to remove it out of the house rather than shocking the dog the owner should consider if the dog would be better off rehomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Are you on the residents committee? If not it's time to join or at least attend their meetings. Potentially if the dog is as well behaved as you say it could be all down to one crank on the committee running with complaints or just assuming any dog they hear barking is your one. CCTV recordings hopefully prove it's not your dog if they can provide a list of dates and times. Statements from your nearest neighbours should help your argument (don't pressure them for these as perhaps your dog is a problem and they are being polite about it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

No that’s not the point. Plenty of studies support my opinion that they are cruel, have and do cause psychological damage. There are better ways to train them not to bark incessantly or be reactive to the their environment.

In this case I’d imagine that there are many more issues at play it’s not just a simple black & white issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    There are several examples of breaches of the forum requirement that posters must be respectful towards one another. You don't have to agree with one another, but you may not be bitchy, catty, or smart-arsed in the way you communicate your disagreement.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement