Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

distinguish feral and stray kitten

Options
  • 18-06-2019 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise how to distinguish between a stray and a feral kitten?
    Lots online about cats but not kittens and I guess it might be different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

not very technical but here goes

a stray may well be just that but as a rule will be used to human contact if it was handled at a very early age

whereas a feral kitten will usually hide and hiss and not welcome any approach but if caught in time will come around

at this moment we have what started out as 2 feral kittens tom a grouch ball now aged 10 but adorable and poppy nearly 2 mad as a bag of spanners and toms best friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Can’t keep it regardless. Trying to figure out whether to keep it in and find its owner if it’s a stray or let it out so its mother can find it if it’s feral. Reasonably sure it’s feral..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Can’t keep it regardless. Trying to figure out whether to keep it in and find its owner if it’s a stray or let it out so its mother can find it if it’s feral. Reasonably sure it’s feral..

How old is it, approximately?

Not sure. Thought it had blue eyes but then looked amber. Ate some chicken. Quick and small. Calling <snip>s cattery when they open.

Not sure. Thought it had blue eyes but then looked amber. Ate some chicken. Quick and small. Calling Limerick Animal Welfare's cattery when they open.

Poor wee soul. I could not do that! I have five cats and one stray already so what is one more ...:eek:

eyes change soon after 4 weeks ish.

• Advertisement

it bit my wife, my dog wants to eat it , I have a very active one year old who would be highly affectionate and get scratched or bitten. Good to know you would keep it though.

Snip is overflowing. Calling snip to see if they want to neuter it before we let it go.

Weighs less than 1kg so too small to be neutered. Advice is to release near where found to find its mother. Giving it a feed of chicken. Then will figure out how to get him over there with a minimum number of bites and scratches.

Weighs less than 1kg so too small to be neutered. Advice is to release near where found to find its mother. Giving it a feed of chicken. Then will figure out how to get him over there with a minimum number of bites and scratches.

you deserve a medal; was just closing down last night when you posted first; sorry did not reply properly.

Do you have ??him?? caged?

From all strays, thanks and blessings!

PS got any gardening gloves?

Yes used gardening gloves to handle him earlier.
    He darted out into a lot of bushes by the back of the house when I tried to move him. Could hear him meowing there hours later and couldn’t let the dog out because she was just barking and trying to get at him. Looked like it was going to be a bit of a disaster but there was a similar looking adult cat there later last night, and he seems to have gone now, so it seems like his mother found him anyway.

Yes used gardening gloves to handle him earlier.
    He darted out into a lot of bushes by the back of the house when I tried to move him. Could hear him meowing there hours later and couldn’t let the dog out because she was just barking and trying to get at him. Looked like it was going to be a bit of a disaster but there was a similar looking adult cat there later last night, and he seems to have gone now, so it seems like his mother found him anyway.

Wonderful thought...

• Advertisement
Advertisement