Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

me89 wrote: »
    2 year contract extension for Jules, he deserves every penny.

Amen to that. Minitron has been a stud since day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I remember BB talking about why he was kept around when he didn't seem to be doing much in those early seasons. What a fantastic decision it was to keep him on the roster etc back then, look how he has repaid the faith

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Allen Hurns hitting the FA market...
    Not a top talent by any means at this stage, but he could be a useful body to bring in and compete for a roster spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wouldn't be mad about Hurns. Mike Wallace and Brandon LaFell are both looking for new teams, might be worth a look at camp at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would love to see both of those Wr getting a tryout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Surprised there's been no discussion of the Brady extension, coupled with him putting the house up for sale. Could really be the last year for the GOAT as a Patriot this year.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Surprised there's been no discussion of the Brady extension, coupled with him putting the house up for sale. Could really be the last year for the GOAT as a Patriot this year.
    The extension was always gonna happen, so not a big deal really. It's a year by year thing at this stage, everyone is probably aware of that. Brady gets paid, and we get cap relief.

It might be the last year, or it might not. I'm really easy about it to be honest. Brady is 42, we've gotten a hell of a long time out of him. It has to end at some point, and Brady has had 31 teams waiting for him to exit for a long time already :)

In saying that, he's still one of the best QBs in the game, and I'm hopeful for this year. Worried a little by the WRs options, but if there's a QB who'll find a way to win, then it's Brady. Should win the division, which means they'll be in the playoffs and so another shot at the SB.

Selling the house is not a big deal. His wife is too big of a deal to live in Boston full time. Giselle needs to be in New York for media purposes. It might simply be a situation where she was spending too much time flying to New York and maybe missing her kids too much.

Of course it could be just what you are seeing but I think it's less likely than it is that they are moving for family and business reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Josh Gordon is free to join squad practice.......

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1162494426301849600?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Fantastic news. The WR group needed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hnnng

This team is potentially shaping up to be an all time great. If Harry can click, I could see us eclipsing 2015 (pre injury apocolypse) dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Might go over for a long weekend this year, and go to a game. Any of you regulars any advice for:
    • Where to stay?
    • Best place for tickets, and how much should I expect to pay?
    • Other things to do in the greater Boston area?

Looked briefly there at tickets through NFL.com, very expensive for Cowboys and Browns, actually appeared to be reasonable enough for the Chiefs. As in less than $300......:D

Patriots starting center David Andrews hospitalised with blood clots in the lungs. Date of return currently unknown. He had missed the last 2 practice sessions.

Patriots brought in two OL additions, Jermaine Eluemunor from the Ravens and Korey Cunningham from the Cardinals. Both have started for their previous teams but were currently backups.

Gordon back in action tonight and has a reception under his belt in the final preseason game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Gordon back in action tonight and has a reception under his belt in the final preseason game.

Bay Bay caught 2 TDs. Wonder does he make the final roster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

paulie21 wrote: »
    Bay Bay caught 2 TDs. Wonder does he make the final roster

I'd be surprised if he didn't after last night, he looked good.

Brian Hoyer released...

Brian Hoyer released...

Stidham has looked very good in preseason. I thought 3 QBs would be carried this year so it sounds like Belichick and McDaniels like what they see in Stidham.

Imagine if he was the heir apparent!

• Advertisement

Lack of depth at OL positions could've weighed in the decision to let Hoyer go. He'll find employment fairly quickly I'd say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Do Your Job 3 and America's Game is up on YouTube, always an interesting watch in my opinion

Lack of depth at OL positions could've weighed in the decision to let Hoyer go. He'll find employment fairly quickly I'd say.
    If be pretty confident the decision was made because they like Stidham a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Anyone an reliable info on Antonio Brown having agreed terms with the Patriots?

Have seen a few mentions on Twitter but nothing concrete.

Well AB posted it on his own Instagram. Good enough source!

Holy ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Holy ****

Classic Bill

• Advertisement

Up to a couple of months ago he was my favourite non-Patriots WR, then all this crap happens and I went off him.
    Looks like it's time to forgive and forget.
    This is the best receiving Corp the Patriots have ever had without question.

Scenes when Gronk comes out of retirement later in the year and the Pats line up with AB, Edelman, Gordon, Gronk and James White on third down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dh1985

It's the best receiving core Brady has to work with. Could never understand why they didn't do similar earlier in his career. I just hope Brady has enough left in his arms to utilise these guys and doesn't fall off a cliff like manning did.

Well AB posted it on his own Instagram. Good enough source!

Holy ****

Thanks for reply, I don't use Instagram so wasn't sure if the Twitter sources were right.

Some move by Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd imagine Olszewski to be cut? He was already informed he was cut before a trade with Texans involving Crossen. Could Dorsett or Thomas be cut either? Obviously Edelman and Harry aren't going anywhere, and it's also highly unlikely Meyers will be cut.
    What an absolutely stacked receiving corps we have. Am in a total state of shock we have Brown. Still can't believe it. Only shame is that he can't play against the Steelers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Is AB a nut case? Yes

But we’ve got to take the chance on him because him and Brady, Gordon, Edelman could be special. At $9m/1yr he’s definitely worth the gamble

Also keep in mind, if he makes it through the year, keeps out of trouble and leaves as a FA we will receive a 3rd round pick most likely.

So the raiders traded a 3rd round pick, so the patriots could get AB and a 3rd round pick.

Also aren’t the Steelers still paying AB like $19m this year? That’s icing on the cake

This could all blow up in our faces so I should hold on the gloating but worst case scenario is he acts up, we cut him pretty quickly, we’re down $9m but I can’t envision us not making the playoffs regardless so it’s low risk.

I'm all in on a 19-0 season at this point.

I'm all in on a 19-0 season at this point.
    :D I wish.
    But every reason to think that Gordon will get suspended again and Brown will derail himself here as well.
    I love Brown's talent, but I kinda wish every team blanked him due to his behaviour. Two teams and he's been unbelievably unprofessional.

Won't be able to see tonight game live, will have to wait until tomorrow.
    Two things I'll be watching out for (as we're playing a good team/QB
    1. Is the defense what we saw for the playoffs (and some pre-season hype)
    2. How does the offense look (will miss Gronk in the running game and his threat in the passing game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The AB move blew me away and it's the most exciting move on offense since we landed Moss. If he can quickly get on the Same page as Brady, then it could be very exciting. And if Gordon and it's a big 'if', can stay on script for the season? Then the offense could be devastating.Keeping the GOAT safe and healthy though is the bottom line as always.

First of hopefully many Gordon touchdowns.

Sidenote: Are those snaps to Brady looking very "loopy" or is it just me?

Look like they loop up and come in high to Brady

The AB move blew me away and it's the most exciting move on offense since we landed Moss. If he can quickly get on the Same page as Brady, then it could be very exciting. And if Gordon and it's a big 'if', can stay on script for the season? Then the offense could be devastating.Keeping the GOAT safe and healthy though is the bottom line as always.

Looking at our schedule, it's basically lay ups for the next 5 weeks. The Bills are probably the toughest team defensively we'll face. Practically an extended preseason.

I know it's hyperbolic AF, but if this team stays healthy, 13-3 is their floor for a record.

Expected a lot more from the Steelers, but they were dominated. Didn't help that Thomlin made some poor decisions that hurt them even more.
    Great start to the season. Injuries are the only thing that can really stop another shot at the SB. In the AFC it already appears to be between ourselves and KC, followed closely by the Chargers and Ravens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

great TD by Gordon, the man is a monster. Hopefully they can convince him to keep away from the weed till the off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Just watched the game in 40 there. Looked really impressive for sure. The offence looks incredibly strong. I thought Meyers one reception was class. With Gordon and Brown now there are so many options for Brady. Was hard to tell in the 40 min game but the defence looks nice as well. Good to see Collins back.

OLine is lacking depth so the extent of the Cannon injury could be significant. OLine could be the Achilles heel.

But overall it was an amazing performance.

Crazy that we’ve gone from the worst WR personal in the league at the start of training camp to the best WR personal by week 1

There was no weakness anywhere on Offense, Defense or Special Teams. Pretty awesome performance.

Looking at the schedule ahead and a lot of weaker teams in our next five or six games. I'm firmly of the belief that we wind down our players when we have the opportunity to prevent fatigue and injuries. I could see that happening two weeks before we meet the Ravens and then again right at the end of the season if we are in control of the conference.

Brady looks better than ever, incredible at 42, Gordon was a beast when called upon last night. Hightower looks back to his best and Bennett is one scary individual. Our DB's looked really on last night too. Everybody was on, it'll be interesting to see if we can keep this level of intensity up.

All that without AB and I was just thinking watching that game last night about how much easier it was for Roethlisberger when he had him. Roethlisberger was struggling to find an open receiver a lot last night, AB changes all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That was definitely one of the best Patriots performances I have ever seen. I am not a Patriots fan, but it is incredible what the team achieves so consistently. It is going to be a long season for us ABP's, but I suppose we will just have to admire greatness.

Brilliant all around game.
    I think this could be our best dominating team since 2007. Looking at last nights (I watched the game last night, so I meant Sunday's) performance and add a functioning AB into the mix it is a monster offense

As mentioned, Oline is a bit thin, could be problematic down the stretch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I saw a crazy stat today that Sammy Watkins is carrying almost the exact same Cap Hit in 2019 as AB, Edelman, Gordon, Thomas & Dorsett combined.

How the hell has BB managed to get that corps together for virtually the same price KC is spending on their #2 guy?

I suppose it shows the difference between cap number and real salary?
    Edelman probably has a team friendly salary, same for Gordon given his history
    AB is a relatively low 15m/9m guaranteed. For his undoubted talent if he wasnt a nutter he would command probably 1.5 times both of those.

Cannon's injury is not significant or season ending but he is due to miss a few weeks phew

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

The AB lawsuit just adds another level of circus value to the whole thing. I'm one who isnt convinced by it all. Is it worth the risk? Maybe, hugely talented receiver. But will he accept 2 or 3 targets in a game where we might run it more often? Will he sulk and shrug his shoulders and pi$$ and moan when he doesnt get as many touches as Edelman? Josh Gordon is in a good place right now and doesnt need influences on a negative value that may compromise him. I'd prefer a Josh Gordon who clearly is making great efforts to keep clean, who is all about the team and appreciates the chances he gets over an AB who is a diva who is all about him. Can AB change? I dont know. I've seen nothing to say he can.

A great player, no doubt. But will he make a mess of the dressing room? He has done it many times in Pittsburgh and in his short time in Oakland did it there too.

Advertisement