Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pod factory 2 bed unit

Options
  • 24-06-2019 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Sorry if this has been dealt with before but I can’t seen to find an answer. I am thinking of putting in a two bedroom unit into my garden to allow my parents to have somewhere to stay whilst visiting. The proposed unit is 54m squared and is, I'm told, fully compliant with all building regs. I have side access to my garden so there would be access in case a need for emergency personnel required to attend. This is not a log cabin a million times better to be honest but I’m aware it would need planning permission. My garden is large so structure would only take up 1/4 of the garden. Given that is is proposed that it would be a habitable unit (not full time, maybe 60/365 days a year) what do you think are the chances of getting planning permission in Dublin. From the research I’ve done the habitable part seems to be a killer. Just wondering if anyone has any information or tips that might help before I go to the expense of applying. Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Comments on specific companies by PM thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lfcynwalfc

BryanF wrote: »
    Comments on specific companies by PM thanks

Apologies edited now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

lfcynwalfc wrote: »
    I'm told, fully compliant with all building regs.

Guarantee you it's not. Ask them from a cert from their Arch/Eng stating that it is compliant and a copy of said professional's indemnity insurance. 100% guarantee you will not get that.

lfcynwalfc wrote: »
    what do you think are the chances of getting planning permission

Zero.

If, however you build apply for permission to build an extension to your house to accommodate visitors I'd say the chances are fairly good.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maybe it complies with building regulations if its considered a shed.....

However you can be guaranteed it doesnt comply with regulations as an "independent living unit" which is what you will be using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Maybe it complies with building regulations if its considered a shed.....

True!

• Advertisement
Advertisement