Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster vs Ulster match thread, Sat 9th Nov 5:15pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bizarre decision to go for the posts, that needed a Francois Steyn kick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Terrible offensive display in the 2nd half. Nothing going right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great try Conway

Class!

Wheels................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

What a score.!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jesus, Faddes looked like a forward trying to get across. Poor from Carter to miss a straight up tackle.

Great effort from Conway though.

Great determination from Conway but disgraceful lack of focus and awareness from Ulster.

Likely the game, Ulster the better team but you don't deserve to win if you miss that many tackles on one player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

A couple of tackles seemed high to me in the last few passages of play...no sign of Murphy calling them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Starting to wonder if this coaching ticket has improved the team at all?!

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Faddes is looking like a bit of a dud. Not sure what he brings to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

awec wrote: »

Bench cover at best

Ulster haven't been the better team at all

Payne, he ain't. But he isn't a patch on a fit and firing Ludik either. I do believe he's much better than he's shown. Very early to write him off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

He looks slow and makes too many mistakes

• Advertisement

Murray has been good since he came on, picked up the pace

leakyboots wrote: »
    Ulster haven't been the better team at all

Very little in it. They've certainly been the better team this half but Munster were dominant for large portions of the first 40.

That ball was supposed to go wide, didn't see which played decided to take it back in.

Faddes is garbage. A bald Peter Nelson.

At 70 minutes take the points
    With 3 minutes left? Go for the corner lads.

Huge wasted opportunity

• Advertisement

Then we miss it. Ah here.

Faddes is garbage. A bald Peter Nelson.

Rare to say that backs win matches but that's the case here. Ulster pack certainly haven't been dominant but they've matched Munster.

McCloskey almost with a match winner at the death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Did Faddes not play 7s for New Zealand? Surprised at how unathletic he seems particularly speedwise

At 70 minutes take the points
    With 3 minutes left? Go for the corner lads.

Huge wasted opportunity

One score game. Completely sensible call. Poor kick and never connected with it correctly.

Buer wrote: »
    One score game. Completely sensible call. Poor kick and never connected with it correctly.

Nah. Go down the line and go for the TBP while running time off the clock.

That's a point thrown away. A lot of opportunities not taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

If it was a gimme kick I'd agree. But that was a wrong call imo. Even without the benefit of hindsight.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In a one score game if you have a chance to make it a two score game you take it.

One away from try bonus with very little time left. Like I said if 10 minutes left yes kick is right option. Not if there's hardly any time for the opposition to score after your lineout.

TBP was left out there.

Faugheen wrote: »
    In a one score game if you have a chance to make it a two score game you take it.

There's a few minutes left. Are Ulster likely to turn over possession and go from their 22 to get a try?

Faugheen wrote: »
    Kick corner, saunter up to lineout. Slow maul and a few phases game is over.
    Lose maul? If you dont trust your team to stop Ulster 90m out with 2 mins left you have a very poor mindset.

• Advertisement

Ulster played with a bit more shape and determination. Unforced errors robbed them of the chance at a win.

Munster look to have taken a full step back from last season, I wouldn't be surprised if VanGraan didn't last the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Referee kept Ulster in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Tough game. Ulster could have won it, but Munster deserved it. Silly mistakes at crucial times cost them.

I know it won't happen, but Rob Lyttle should start with Craig Gilroy on the wings next week. Stockdale needs to go away and sort his head out. He is nowhere near where he needs to be.

Burns will make a big difference to our backs, and obviously Hendy and Marcel are our key forwards.

Also, McBurney has to be asking the question regards starting hooker.

Yeah odd one, Ulster aren't in Munsters conference so denying us a LBP was pointless, although I suppose if it had gone over the game would have been finished which was obviously the reason he went for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Coming away from Thomond with a point is more than most can expect, but we never gave ourselves a chance to win it. Knock ons under no pressure and some braindead decisions. The inconsistency of our play and the huge lapses in concentration in defence were exactly what I was hoping the coaching ticket and new players could squeeze out. I was a huge defender of signing Faddes because I know what he's like at his best, but even I'm losing a bit of patience with him. Man I hate my team.

Unless Baloucoune is starting, in which case I love my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ulster played with a bit more shape and determination. Unforced errors robbed them of the chance at a win.

Munster look to have taken a full step back from last season, I wouldn't be surprised if VanGraan didn't last the season.

Haha... ‚ Thanks for that...

Coming away from Thomond with a point is more than most can expect, but we never gave ourselves a chance to win it. Knock ons under no pressure and some braindead decisions. The inconsistency of our play and the huge lapses in concentration in defence were exactly what I was hoping the coaching ticket and new players could squeeze out. I was a huge defender of signing Faddes because I know what he's like at his best, but even I'm losing a bit of patience with him. Man I hate my team.

Unless Baloucoune is starting, in which case I love my team.

We aren't too far away. Burns alone would have made a difference tonight, never mind Hendy and Coetzee.

That LBP makes up for the missed BP last week.

We are moving through the gears now, so expect a bit effort over the next two weeks. A bit more accuracy is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That looked like an pathetic attendance for a prime time interpro. Whither Thomond crowds of old? (I'm including crowds in seasons post redevelopment)

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That looked like an pathetic attendance for a prime time interpro. Whither Thomond crowds of old? (I'm including crowds in seasons post redevelopment)
    Ulster v Munster, weekend before Christmas - 16,800

Munster v Ulster, Champions Cup 1 week away - 14,400

Not great, but get out of here with Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Didn’t see the game tonight, but I thought one of Faddes main attributes was supposed to be his pace? I know a lot of players need a season to settle and become accustomed to defensive systems, so I’m still hopeful Faddes can become a decent signing, but it‘s strange that he‘s known for his speed in the Southern Hemisphere and seems pedestrian here.
    Unless the pitch was like a swimming pool tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Didn’t see the game tonight, but I thought one of Faddes main attributes was supposed to be his pace? I know a lot of players need a season to settle and become accustomed to defensive systems, so I’m still hopeful Faddes can become a decent signing, but it‘s strange that he‘s known for his speed in the Southern Hemisphere and seems pedestrian here.

It appeared to be pretty boggy alright. Conway's break looked slow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

As a game that was a bit of a mess. Big collisions and lots of effort, but so many basic errors at the set piece and handling errors. It's a hallmark of Leinsters that whatever side they have on the pitch looks extremely well drilled and comfortable in how they play. Neither Ulster or Munster look that comfortable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

mogwai81 wrote: »

He best qualities were never his pace. For the Highlanders he was an elusive runner and hit great lines at the right time, none of which we're seeing here. He had a long term injury around a year ago iirc, and hasn't looked quite up to speed since.

Balacoune was on the bench tonight, right?

I'd have had Faddes off asap, Stockdale back to full back and Balacoune on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I agree with moving Stockdale to 15. He could be a devastating counterattacker. But right now he is in pretty poor form as well. Don't think he's had a good 2019. Maybe a positional change could give him a boost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »
    I agree with moving Stockdale to 15. He could be a devastating counterattacker. But right now he is in pretty poor form as well. Don't think he's had a good 2019. Maybe a positional change could give him a boost.

He was doing ok towards the end of last season but just doesn’t look himself this year

He had a poor World Cup and confidence probably took a bashing, he has said before he likes to play 15 but if Ireland see him long term on the wing I don’t see much point putting him at 15

I don't mean moving him to full back permanently. I just meant during today's game, when it was clear Faddes was stinking the place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The bashing of Faddes remind me of some people last year about Tomane

The guys has moved to a new country, I would guess has family to move over as well, coming to a whole new club and new style of rugby....it might be worth giving him a small bit of a break.....

He wasn’t utterly awful this evening which you would think based on the comments.....if memory serves me right he had a good few games at the start and people said he looked good?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The bashing of Faddes remind me of some people last year about Tomane

The guys has moved to a new country, I would guess has family to move over as well, coming to a whole new club and new style of rugby....it might be worth giving him a small bit of a break.....

He wasn’t utterly awful this evening which you would think based on the comments.....if memory serves me right he had a good few games at the start and people said he looked good?

Leinster have a huge squad so can absorb their NIQs taking a year to sort themselves out.

The other provinces don't have the luxury of it, our NIQs need to hit the ground running and improve the team.

leakyboots wrote: »
    You're obviously not in the stadium

North and South terraces blocked off. East stand has lots of empty seats.

14436 for an interpro is terrible what ever way you look at it. 11166 empty seats. 56.4% attendance. I’ll say it again lots of empty seats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement