Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any good "small" phones anymore?

• 13-04-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on the lookout for a new phone to replace a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact that's slowly falling apart. There's one issue with my search though, it would appear that I'm in the minority when it comes to preferring smaller form phones over the 5+ inch screen phones which I thought used to be considered "phablets" but now appear to be the norm.

I just can't see myself getting used to not being able to use a phone one-handed comfortably or being able to comfortably put it in my pocket so my options are severely limited. I've no plans to move to an Iphone so that rules their small handsets out and Sony appear to be the only company still making Android phones that are both small and come with good specs.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like any carrier here is going to stock the Xperia XZ2 compact which was recently released, the larger version is all that's popping up with Eir and Vodafone, and I don't think I can justify paying €600 for it sim free from Sony.

So while it looks like I'll have to compromise on performance, I would if possible like it to have a decent camera for some back-packing and with that in mind the Xperia X Compact or Z5 Compact look to be the best options even though they're a little old at this stage. They're currently €200-250 new sim free from sellers on Amazon.

Anyone have any better suggestions?

TL;DR: Need a new phone to replace Z3 Compact; preferably small (<5 inch screen); good camera if possible; budget €200-300 sim free but have the possibility of an upgrade with a bill pay contract for any pricier handsets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    TL;DR: Need a new phone to replace Z3 Compact; preferably small (<5 inch screen); good camera if possible; budget €200-300 sim free but have the possibility of an upgrade with a bill pay contract for anyone pricier handsets
    How about the iPhone SE? I think it's only 4 inches big? Maybe over budget, though. €370 in the CPW for the 32GB version - maybe check if they have a 16GB model, that may be cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

the_syco wrote: »
    How about the iPhone SE? I think it's only 4 inches big? Maybe over budget, though. €370 in the CPW for the 32GB version - maybe check if they have a 16GB model, that may be cheaper?

Thanks, looked at it the SE alright and it would be very cheap on the upgrade I'm due but trying to stave off a switch to Apple if possible :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

What about a Samsung A5 2017?

I think you should look at the overall size of the phone, rather than the screen size. Phones these days might have a bigger screen, but they're not significantly larger.

The only significant difference between the Z3C and something like the Samsung S9 is 2cm in length. It's not going to be a major difference when using one handed or putting in your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I might recommend the XZ1 compact.

Its a great size, great camera, very fast and stellar battery. Compared to the newer XZ2 compact it has the fingerprint reader in the power button which is far more convenient. The screen is also practically small and not as tall as the XZ2. Due to its size, plastic body and slight chunkiness it is really tough and I rarely put a case on. You should find good second hand deals around the place.

Only bummer is the 32gb storage. Although you have microsd support you can't actually install apps to the SD card, and some apps refuse to even store app data to the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I got a Sony Xperia XA1 recently & I'm pleased with it. It's good value @ €200, octacore processor, 32Gb RAM, & 21Mp camera. It has a 5" screen, & is a nice size. It replaced a Samsung S3 mini which is smaller. Samsungs J3/J5 were just too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

larchill wrote: »
    I got a Sony Xperia XA1 recently & I'm pleased with it. It's good value @ €200, octacore processor, 32Gb RAM, & 21Mp camera. It has a 5" screen, & is a nice size. It replaced a Samsung S3 mini which is smaller. Samsungs J3/J5 were just too big.

Nice little phone for the money, strange to see Sony using MTK not Qualcomm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

I had a z5 compact then switched to xz1 and I couldn't be happier it's the perfect size tbh.

It's extremely difficult to find a compact powerful phone which I think is insane really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

rizzee wrote: »
    What about a Samsung A5 2017?
    Basil3 wrote: »
    I think you should look at the overall size of the phone, rather than the screen size. Phones these days might have a bigger screen, but they're not significantly larger.

The only significant difference between the Z3C and something like the Samsung S9 is 2cm in length. It's not going to be a major difference when using one handed or putting in your pocket.

Both the A5 and S9 are a little on the large side imo. As I said, I realise that size now appears to be the norm for phones but for instance a family member has the regular Xperia Z3 and compared to my Compact version it feels way larger and for a lot of purposes would feel like it requires two hands for use and would feel bulky to have in your pocket.

I might recommend the XZ1 compact.

Its a great size, great camera, very fast and stellar battery. Compared to the newer XZ2 compact it has the fingerprint reader in the power button which is far more convenient. The screen is also practically small and not as tall as the XZ2. Due to its size, plastic body and slight chunkiness it is really tough and I rarely put a case on. You should find good second hand deals around the place.

Only bummer is the 32gb storage. Although you have microsd support you can't actually install apps to the SD card, and some apps refuse to even store app data to the card.

I have no doubt the XZ1 Compact would be a good choice, I'd far prefer to have the headphone jack also which is removed in the new XZ2 Compact. But unfortunately Vodafone were the only provider to carry it here and €375 new sim free is a little out of my budget. I'm not sure if I could chance getting one second hand and I'm not even sure where would be a halfways reputable place to start looking for one without the risk of a private seller.
    larchill wrote: »

Yes the XA1 and newer XA2 are definitely options at their price point if all else fails and I can't get a smaller phone. How do you find the camera on it?
    recyclops wrote: »
    I had a z5 compact then switched to xz1 and I couldn't be happier it's the perfect size tbh.

It's extremely difficult to find a compact powerful phone which I think is insane really.

Had you any issues with the Z5 that forced you to switch? As in did some of the Android updates over the years slow it down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

I noticed the xperia z5 compact itself was prone to over heating and froze sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The battery on the Sony Xperia XA1 seems very small it's like a battery from 3yrs ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

HTC 10 possibly?

Advertisement