Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every tool with a straight through

• 21-06-2021 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

... exhaust seems to be on the donegal to sligo road the last couple of days what ever was on , Altezzas being the most common offenders . Why they want to sound like tractors and wake the elderly i dont know , its seems car culture has degenerated . Obviously the gardai dont do SPL spot checks or most of these POS's would be off the road .

Im a car guy but these just sound dreadfull ... or else im getting old :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Where were you between 2000 and 2009?
    That's exactly what's coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

JRH wrote: »
    ... exhaust seems to be on the donegal to sligo road the last couple of days what ever was on , Altezzas being the most common offenders . Why they want to sound like tractors and wake the elderly i dont know , its seems car culture has degenerated . Obviously the gardai dont do SPL spot checks or most of these POS's would be off the road .

I believe there was some rally in Donegal over the weekend which may account for the types of cars heading that direction.

Each to their own as far as car mods go I suppose. I wouldn't be a fan of loud exhausts and slammed suspension but these things clearly have an attraction for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

No rally was on....just a gathering to do as they wanted on the main streets of Letterkenny...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058194581

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Miscreant wrote: »
    I believe there was some rally in Donegal over the weekend which may account for the types of cars heading that direction.

Each to their own as far as car mods go I suppose. I wouldn't be a fan of loud exhausts and slammed suspension but these things clearly have an attraction for some people.

What about sticking your head in front of a loud exhaust?

https://twitter.com/ChrisMcNultyDgl/status/1406609230879248395

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've noticed a few tuned and slammed VAG TDI cars reappearing.

Absolutely awful cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

What about sticking your head in front of a loud exhaust?

https://twitter.com/ChrisMcNultyDgl/status/1406609230879248395

Voluntarily taking lungfuls of diesel exhaust? Seems like natural selection at work to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

They were up in Liffey Valley for some carpocalyspe bollox a couple of weeks ago. From what I seen there was a peppering of genuine car enthusiasts, but it quickly descended into chaos with the dreggs of society taking over. Anyone that organises a meet like that should be held accountable for what happens at it. They'd weed out the scum and let the genuine enthusiasts build a bit of a better public image if they were getting fined tens of thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

Duckjob wrote: »
    Voluntarily taking lungfuls of diesel exhaust? Seems like natural selection at work to me.

How times have changed, 20 years ago if you showed up at a meet and started redlineing your diesel you would be laughed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

hellyeah wrote: »
    How times have changed, 20 years ago if you showed up at a meet and started redlineing your diesel you would be laughed at.

I always make sure to laugh whenever I hear a diesel with a "tortured pigeon" exhaust :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

I always make sure to laugh whenever I hear a diesel with a "tortured pigeon" exhaust :P

They always remind me of Ric Flair when they pass

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

May my poor sibling rest in pieces, along with that cut off backbox :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Absolutely awful cars.

Agreed totally and most a utterly stupid looking too. The sad part is when you see a once good decent car ruined by these selfish idiots. One had a lovely or at least it would have been lovely if he had not ruined it Peugeot 306. It was a lovely blue and all but he had ruined it.
    I think the Garda need to do something about these selfish thugs driving these noisy filthy jokes irresponsibly and with no respect for anyone.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Buffman

Obviously the gardai dont do SPL spot checks or most of these POS's would be off the road .
    AMKC wrote: »
    I think the Garda need to do something about these selfish thugs driving these noisy filthy jokes irresponsibly and with no respect for anyone.

53 arrests over the weekend in Letterkenny, 29 for dangerous driving alone. Hopefully the courts will follow through with more than a slap on the wrist.

https://www.highlandradio.com/2021/06/21/53-people-arrested-in-letterkenny-over-weekend/

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Miscreant wrote: »

Once they are declared to insurance and certified then they are fine. How many of the cars meet that criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There's a young fella out and about every night around here in a lowered (cut) civic..

At absolute best it's a 1.4 petrol. The noise off it is painful but it's hilarious watching it struggle to move itself. A bona fide piece of sh:t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Absolutely awful cars.

The soot at the back is very fetching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

'Smoke Maps' don't come cheap you know.
    As Dolly Parton once said "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭pale rider

It’s the fake turbo lag whistle that’s the funniest for me, seems very popular in parts of the country and not in others. It’s ridiculous.

They're genuine Turbo Dump Valves.

It's just that they sound fine on a Petrol Turbo (when they activate at twice the Revs)....and like a p!ss-poor relation on a diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Buffman wrote: »
    53 arrests over the weekend in Letterkenny, 29 for dangerous driving alone. Hopefully the courts will follow through with more than a slap on the wrist.

https://www.highlandradio.com/2021/06/21/53-people-arrested-in-letterkenny-over-weekend/

Reminds me of the good old days. Any Donegal International weekend in the 90's. Port Road, Saturday night, Muppets drag racing the northern hire drives. Wheelspins with their foot on the brakes,the goal was to see who could get the brake discs to glow the brightest. Sunday morning,both ends of the street were blocked off & the Paddy Wagons moved in. Was often better spectator entertainment than the actual stages,& much easier to find too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    They're genuine Turbo Dump Valves.

They're not, as AFAIK turbo diesels generally don't need them.

The "pigeon coo" sound you often hear with modified VW TDIs is the noise of the variable geometry turbocharger - they all do this, but removing silencers and the cat make it much louder.

So it goes back to the OP's topic of straight-through exhausts. They can sound good, but these don't :)

They're not Dump valves. I thought I had spotted somewhere that they were using electronically activated Dump Valves. Must have been late on a Sat night.
    And no, you're correct. Diesels don't need them.
    Most petrol turbo's don't need one either, unless you want to keep a Turbo spinning while gear changing for example. We use one on a Track Car here, but TBH I doubt if we actually need it.

Ms

Buffman wrote: »

Good to see that. I hope the Garda arrest more of these.we have a problem here with them using the Dunnes parking spaces at nights to do 360s and make noise. Would love to see the Garda arrest some of them one night or here of them doing so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

They seem to annoy alot of people but do no actual harm . Why are ppl so against these guys? They are probably more dangerous when theyre driving 30 tonne of tractor and trailer down a back road than in a carpark with a smokey 1.9tdi..

Let em have their slow smokey diesels . What harm.

Ms

Car99 wrote: »
    They seem to annoy alot of people but do no actual harm . Why are ppl so against these guys? They are probably more dangerous when theyre driving 30 tonne of tractor and trailer down a back road than in a carpark with a smokey 1.9tdi..

Let em have their slow smokey diesels . What harm.

Because it's not just in the carpark they do it but on public roads too where there Is pedestrians out walking on the path wanting to breed in fresh air not the poison out of there crappy stupid looking cars. So yes they have no one to blame but themselves.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pollution, noise, bad driving.

No problem with any of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Why are existing laws not enforced consistently in every garda division?

If the car or driver in question is illegal - why not use the existing laws to address the issue???

Because some garda can't be bothered, others don't want the paperwork hassle, others have limited time, and some focus on other higher priorities....
    (bigger picture)

NCT only does checks on a given day...it's the job of the Garda to enforce laws but they are completely under resourced....I'd rather see the growing anti social / assaults addressed ahead of someone with a loud exhaust.

Bit like high priority on speeding - this should be left to all the gosafe vans & not tying up garda doing this as well. (esp when they could be more productive elsewhere)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

They're not, as AFAIK turbo diesels generally don't need them.

The "pigeon coo" sound you often hear with modified VW TDIs is the noise of the variable geometry turbocharger - they all do this, but removing silencers and the cat make it much louder.

So it goes back to the OP's topic of straight-through exhausts. They can sound good, but these don't :)

Not limited to vag stuff, the right setup will produce this sound

It's compressor stall, when during acceleration the demand for boost is cut during boost building, causing turbulence as the turbo wants to slow down but the gasses are moving at a different speed, causing the infamous stall coo. You would need very little bypass or none of exhaust gasses to achieve this

In my younger days I used to have cars that would coo, but also were faster than standard. I doubt anyone these days would know how to build a good VE anymore, let alone machine out turbine housings to suit (or there are but very few far between)

Like this 406 with my own custom homebrew turbo. It's building boost as indicated by the huge plooms of smoke:

It was a hoot and was fairly drivable throughout it's rev range. Think threshold started about 1k rpm, hence the high-ish idle and full boost was around 1800rpm. Was clean at the back on full boost. Burned many that took it on!

Or if you wanted all go within a shabby show another (somewhat famous) 406 with a homebrew everything... And in it's day blew every other diesel on the road away whilst returning a modest 45mpg

I wanted to do a compound setup once, I had 2 turbos I sized up together for the job, had plans to relocate the battery to the boot/place the mad setup on top of the box and was eyeing up a 12mm head for it's pump but never got the time. Now I have even less time than those days :(

And whenever I see a boo wagon now I genuinely cry inside as I know the car is designed for the coooooool factor, not with any beneficial performance in mind; it's humiliating. All show and no go is beyond embarrassing in my eyes

Advertisement