Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A6 timing belt

• 22-06-2021 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello all,

Mrs Eric has an A6 2.0 TFSI. Wouldn't start on the driveway the last day, local mechanic had a look & said timing belt gone.
    Is the damage the same even if engine wasn't running?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ericsinjun wrote: »
    Hello all,

Mrs Eric has an A6 2.0 TFSI. Wouldn't start on the driveway the last day, local mechanic had a look & said timing belt gone.

The timing chain is gone, they are a chain, not a belt iirc.

Damage from chain slipping or stretching can be hard to quantify bar the fact that it is broken without stripping down the engine.

You may get lucky and just need a new chain and tensioners etc, you may have damage to cylinder head (that is likely IMO), you may also have damage to pistons but this wouldn't be too likely. The only way to find out accurately though is split the engine and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

The timing chain is gone, they are a chain, not a belt iirc.

Damage from chain slipping or stretching can be hard to quantify bar the fact that it is broken without stripping down the engine.

You may get lucky and just need a new chain and tensioners etc, you may have damage to cylinder head (that is likely IMO), you may also have damage to pistons but this wouldn't be too likely. The only way to find out accurately though is split the engine and see.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

would the driver get any advance warning of something like this happening, especially with a chain, for example, noises or poor driving feedback etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

would the driver get any advance warning of something like this happening, especially with a chain, for example, noises or poor driving feedback etc?
    Ahh Don't go down Blame Game Rd, Mostly its sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ish66 wrote: »
    Ahh Don't go down Blame Game Rd, Mostly its sudden.

:D no, I'm honestly not but I'd like to know, surely a chain will have less of a tendency to fail suddenly compared to a belt, is there any truth in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Its very rare for a chain to snap, Belts do in a flash. Normally chains get slack but the tensioner would normally take care of slack. You are the first snapped chain I ever heard of tbh. Something else caused it to snap.
    I did hear of a chain connector link coming out once but its rare.
    It sounds like something else failed first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ish66 wrote: »
    Its very rare for a chain to snap, Belts do in a flash. Normally chains get slack but the tensioner would normally take care of slack. You are the first snapped chain I ever heard of tbh. Something else caused it to snap.
    I did hear of a chain connector link coming out once but its rare.
    It sounds like something else failed first.
    My 1.8 tfsi was on the verge of skipping over a tooth when i brought it in to change it so maybe thats what happened. So much for the lifetime chain - and ive owned mine from new and serviced on time with top quality oil. It lasted to about 140k miles.

mickdw wrote: »
    My 1.8 tfsi was on the verge of skipping over a tooth when i brought it in to change it so maybe thats what happened. So much for the lifetime chain - and ive owned mine from new and serviced on time with top quality oil. It lasted to about 140k miles.

That was actually very good going for one of them.

A poorly maintained one mightn't have went half that distance. Not that that makes it ok or anything.

That was actually very good going for one of them.

A poorly maintained one mightn't have went half that distance. Not that that makes it ok or anything.

Ok so at least my servicing served some purpose.
    I had convinced myself i wouldnt see that issue at all by keeping the oil right. No such luck.

You'd be forgiven for thinking so, but they are junk unfortunately. Years ago you'd prefer a chain on a car, but anything half ways modern a belt is actually the more reliable article.

• Advertisement

You'd be forgiven for thinking so, but they are junk unfortunately. Years ago you'd prefer a chain on a car, but anything half ways modern a belt is actually the more reliable article.

Is the later chain any better do you know? I fitted genuine one from audi that appeared to be different design.

Ah, honestly, no.

Be very common with any of the TSI engines to see repeat failures particularly on the smaller 1.2's and 1.4's but generally it can and does happen again.

The only this is, and it's terrible to say if you get another 140k miles out of this chain and you still have the car you probably won't mind doing another.

Currently dealing with one that had a chain very early, 32k kms, had another chain at 125k kms and now needs another at 181k kms. All genuine chains, good service history.

Ah, honestly, no.

Be very common with any of the TSI engines to see repeat failures particularly on the smaller 1.2's and 1.4's but generally it can and does happen again.

The only this is, and it's terrible to say if you get another 140k miles out of this chain and you still have the car you probably won't mind doing another.

Currently dealing with one that had a chain very early, 32k kms, had another chain at 125k kms and now needs another at 181k kms. All genuine chains, good service history.

Ah the car owes me nothing at this stage. Audi A5 - Ive it 13 years since new and at 170k miles now on original clutch, it hasnt done too bad. Im looking to get something else now.

ericsinjun wrote: »
    Hello all,

You didn't say what year it is. The earlier models had a belt and a chain, later ones just a chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

mickdw wrote: »
    Ah the car owes me nothing at this stage. Audi A5 - Ive it 13 years since new and at 170k miles now on original clutch, it hasnt done too bad. Im looking to get something else now.

That's environmentally friendly motoring despite what the greens might say.

Advertisement