Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Trains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I decided to post this here as its more related to than the Train and rail systems.

Has anyone got Railworks 2020? I've just realised a Chap called Brendan Moran spent about 12 years building the Cork to Dublin route including the Limerick City and Tralee lines. I actually cant believe how much work has gone into it. And whats more... Its Freeware! I'm quite sure this chap could have made a fortune off Dovetail in the UK. The level of realism is beyond anything i've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUdTN1eVhk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iOuXijJoIE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep79wHSji64

Fair play to him, but driving a train is like taxiing an A320 around for hours - necessary and demanding but utter boredom compared to flying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I decided to post this here as its more related to than the Train and rail systems.

Has anyone got Railworks 2020? I've just realised a Chap called Brendan Moran spent about 12 years building the Cork to Dublin route including the Limerick City and Tralee lines. I actually cant believe how much work has gone into it. And whats more... Its Freeware! I'm quite sure this chap could have made a fortune off Dovetail in the UK. The level of realism is beyond anything i've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUdTN1eVhk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iOuXijJoIE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep79wHSji64

I’ll pass the suggestion on to him, but he’s doing it more as a labor of love. He used to have HO scale layouts, but life more suits virtual layouts these day.

He’s about done with DART (still needs to build the rolling stock) and has apparently just tackled the Faranfare to Valentina Harbor line. Will install when I get a new PC next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I’ll pass the suggestion on to him, but he’s doing it more as a labor of love. He used to have HO scale layouts, but life more suits virtual layouts these day.

He’s about done with DART (still needs to build the rolling stock) and has apparently just tackled the Faranfare to Valentina Harbor line. Will install when I get a new PC next month.

I removed train sim. I could never really get the route working properly. the only part i could ever drive properly was mallow to Tralee. and at that ground would have been missing under the rails etc, after downloading every single file that was required.

I removed train sim. I could never really get the route working properly. the only part i could ever drive properly was mallow to Tralee. and at that ground would have been missing under the rails etc, after downloading every single file that was required.

Yeah, getting the full set of assets is annoying. Unfortunately, both he and I have been installing in bits and pieces over the years as the line gets further along, and we've discovered that assets he thinks are in a package in fact are not. As a result, when I get the new PC next month I'm going to do a full install from total scratch to make sure everything in the packages that is needed is, in fact, in the packages and work with him to fix it. I'll post back here when we have this properly sorted.

Yeah, getting the full set of assets is annoying. Unfortunately, both he and I have been installing in bits and pieces over the years as the line gets further along, and we've discovered that assets he thinks are in a package in fact are not. As a result, when I get the new PC next month I'm going to do a full install from total scratch to make sure everything in the packages that is needed is, in fact, in the packages and work with him to fix it. I'll post back here when we have this properly sorted.

That would be fantastic! Thank you. :D

• Advertisement

OK, with dad actually watching over my shoulder (Now that we have opened the borders), I went ahead and installed from scratch so he could see what was or was not working.

To get yourself at least rolling on Dub-Cork-Limerick-Tralee, install the RWPs (with the TS Utilities tool) from following files in order from UKTrainsim.

35528, 35529, 35530, 35531, 35532, 37356, 37362.

Note that there are some readmes in there which instruct you to get a few more files from other sources. One of them is Polish and no longer a good URL, but it doesn't seem to be the end of the world.

There are still a few quirks he's discovered, for example, some of the DMUs are based off a German vehicle the DLC for which I did not purchase, so you might see some couplers floating down the rail line, but the majority is good. Same with the DART line should you choose to try that out, the DART EMUs are based on a payable DLC, but you can still run the line with a railcar. Maybe there's a power cut or something. Here's Howth.

Anyway, he's seen the troubles with a fresh install, so we'll see if he's able to put out a patch as best he can.

This is the greatest work of art! i still cant believe its free. Gonna install again later once the tree is up and the arguing is over haha!

Its working Brilliantly! Now the rails are still floating above ground in places but im finding no errors.

Autoballaster is not working properly tho, the bogies are textured with that black/yellow tape stuff that was showing up on some trees track side but isnt any more.

201 class is dreadfully slow to get up to full power? it takes 20 minutes to reach 60.

Has anyone else made irish rolling stock? And finally, how does one repaint a 071 class? what software....

All in all its fantastic! working 10 times better with just those files listed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I think the 201s default to having the handbrake on. Look above your head and there should be a lit switch, turn that off.

You are quite correct. I wouldn't have copped it either, as I don't see the parking brake as an option in the HUD. Just train, engine and dynamic. But I turned it off, and it took off with the 13:00 to Cork with no trouble at all.

• Advertisement

Yet that indeed sorted it!

I cant find any decent links to Scenario creation tutorials. thats the next thing now!

It has been a while since I played. I know I have some missing assets as there was some that I simply couldn't find but the vast majority is there and working fine.

Apparently not, he's got to finish the Dun Laoighre stretch before releasing it.

That and the other detail is that he doesn't have an EMU to drive.

Ah ok. I tried adding the Sugar factory sidings into the Tralee Line outside Mallow and it was a nightmare. the youtubers make it look so easy and id be good with stuff like that as i do a lot of AutoCAD work.

The same with C++ / Java / Python YOUTUBE Tutorials ..... They make it look soooo easy but on your own PC / MAC a completely different fraught rocky road

I also tried to Re-skin the 071 class but alas it would t show up. It wouldnt import the file either on Bintools. Something about not having enough MIPMAP what ever that was. spent 2 hours just doing the roof only for that to happen so i think ill leave it!

Credit for trying anyway dude.

I’ve successfully reskinned stuff with MSTS in the past (for my own use) but never had the time to look into the RailWorks-based games.

Are there any more updates to the Dublin-Cork route? Id love if the Sugar factory layout and sidings were put in on the Kerry Line. Ive tried to do this but its just too hard. Full credit too ye for making these route as i cant get anything to work properly when i tried to add it in.

• Advertisement

Response. What new sugar factory?

Can you give me a Google Maps link?

The old one!

The factory is long flattened now(10 Years) but the yard and line's are still there. There a few generic Factories that i tried to plonk onto the map but i cant.

https://goo.gl/maps/xyC1HC4bBxMqoksx9

Attached is the layouts.

He says "That factory was closed many years ago and the tracks have been long lifted". So unless you can find an onsite photo saying otherwise, I'm going to take that as a "no".

There was 52 flat wagons there until 2 weeks ago. They only disconnected the points into the yard in 2015 and left it sit there.

"Disconnected the points?" What happened two weeks ago?

The tracks only go as far as the road, where they are tarmac'ed over more than 10 years ago. They look to be gone on the sugar factory side of the road. There are no wagons, flat or otherwise, visible in satellite view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1228311,-8.6892735,3a,75y,48.79h,85.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgdgP2W5cIll5h0uwSxtnxQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Rails are there, just a bit over grown.

Flat Wagons in the yard across the road:

@Manic Moran Any word on the DART route? I see UKTS has been a bit neglected lately, the SSL cert expired months ago and hasn't been renewed.

Yeah i did ask on UKTS and they said it was inactive so the topics were locked.

• Advertisement

Threads are apparently locked.

Only update is he has uploaded a new file for Dublin- Cork which includes the new platform at Limerick Junction. But he couldn't post on the forum to announce it.

DART is still under construction. For whatever reason he has decided to expand the line to Rosslare so it's not public yet. (I'm home for Christmas).

Advertisement