Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Clothes

• 15-09-2010 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Hey,

When buying clothes for work do you invest in pieces or do a pennys on it and save your money for going out clothes?

I buy mine in pennys but my mother is wrecking my head to purchase an expensive outfit for work (I work in an office - business casual). An expensive outfit for me, for work, would be buying something in Dunnes instead of Pennys!!!
    I hate buying clothes for work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Bit of a middle ground - I spend so much time in work I'd hate to wear cheap nasty things, which Penneys office wear is - their trousers in particular are foul, and the shirts tend to be quite obviously from Penneys (and since I'm not a b-cup, they don't fit me anyway). That said I don't go OTT on work clothes, I tend to get most of them in Zara and Warehouse, with a bit of Coast or Jesire if I'm feeling more flush/get a bargain, and mostly I wear dresses. It's 40+ hours a week, too much time to spend in clothes I don't like!

StinkySocs wrote: »
    Hey,

When buying clothes for work do you invest in pieces or do a pennys on it and save your money for going out clothes?

I buy mine in pennys but my mother is wrecking my head to purchase an expensive outfit for work (I work in an office - business casual). An expensive outfit for me, for work, would be buying something in Dunnes instead of Pennys!!!
    I hate buying clothes for work.

I buy trousers in a-wear or next and tops in penneys. Might get tops in a-wear too.
    I get slagging from my mother on buying "expensive" clothes for work but if you look you can find a lot of nice things in penneys that don't look like they're from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Right now I'm working as a postgrad in research, so there's no dress code as such...I could wear jeans and a tshirt or a skirt and pumps and I wouldn't look out of place in either.

When I eventually get my dream job (before I'm 30, please GOD let me be employed by age 30!) it'll be a lot more formal so I plan on investing in some nice pieces. I'll have a pretty long working day, so I'll want to have nice outfits that I feel confident in :)

I don't have to worry about that for a while though. Em...yay? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

i think its important to wear clothes to work that you like. you're in them 4 or 5 days a week, more often then casual/going out clothes so its worth while spend the extra time finding good quality clothes that you can work into different outfits.

Zara and H&M do good value office wear, Next as well, and you can find stuff that is a bit different rather than black trousers and plain tops.

There's a saying that you should dress for the job you want not the job you have. Its worth it in the long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I have a few pairs of pennys trousers, and a few cardis which I could throw over a while shirt. But I find the trousers just "go" very easily! The little catches over the button have just broken on me so when I'm talking to a customer I'm trying to tie them up behind the counter! :(

I do have a few nice pieces if I ever went to interviews. I buy them in sales usually, unless you could look in TK Maxx if you have a root you might find some top notch work clothes on the cheap! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I'm lucky because I can get away with dark skinny jeans and a nice little tunic top. I feel comfortable in these, because it's basically what I'd wear outside of work anyway. Some things I wear cost quite a bit, other things were just from charity shops! I think as long as you look respectable, don't show a lot of flesh, and choose items that suit your body shape then it's all good!

However if I needed to dress up a bit more, if a client was coming in, say, then I'd probably wear some black skinny trousers and a nice blouse with some kitten heels.

I've never been one to spend a fortune on my work clothes, I used to buy any old crap and it used to look awful on me, so over the years I've come to realise that if I have to wear these clothes most of the time I may as well invest some time and consideration into them - not necessarily money. A nice compromise between comfortable, smart but functional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 anti22

cherryred wrote: »
    i think its important to wear clothes to work that you like. you're in them 4 or 5 days a week, more often then casual/going out clothes so its worth while spend the extra time finding good quality clothes that you can work into different outfits.

Zara and H&M do good value office wear, Next as well, and you can find stuff that is a bit different rather than black trousers and plain tops.

There's a saying that you should dress for the job you want not the job you have. Its worth it in the long run!
    I agree with cherryred.

Advertisement