Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-01-2020, 21:49   #1
Whereisgerry?

Rocommon Family

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what happened to the 2 youngest daughters in the family below.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...allagh/765383/

I found the eldest daughter in the UK in the 1939 register but no trace of the 2 younger girls. I believe one of them to be a grandmother of my cousin (on the other side of her family). My cousin doesn't know who her father is but through ancestry dna and irishgenealogy.ie we have narrowed it down to this family. Sadly, we've now hit a wall and can't seem to get any further.

Theres no sign of marriage or death certs and the youngest daughter was rumoured to have gone missing. All advice on where to look welcome.

P.S. Just a disclaimer here! We could be wrong about the connection.

Last edited by Whereisgerry?; 15-01-2020 at 21:53. Reason: Adding a disclaimer!! 🤣
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 22:07   #2
spurious
Category Moderator

Did Bridget travel from the US to Ireland in 1937?
Thanks from:
15-01-2020, 22:15   #3
Whereisgerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
Did Bridget travel from the US to Ireland in 1937?
I don't know! I believe that they were all UK based at some point but anything is possible.
There were a few Bridget's with the same name from the area and it really doesn't help my investigations.
15-01-2020, 22:23   #4
spurious
Category Moderator

There is a Bridget T Towey naturalised in Pennsylvania in 1928 that gives Ballaghdereen as where she is from, but the birth date is wrong and I think in the 20th century people would have known their birth dates.
Thanks from:
15-01-2020, 22:36   #5
pinkypinky

Have you traced the eldest daughter forward past 1939?
Find her descendants could help trace the others.

Have you got the parents' deaths? One of the daughters may have registered, which would give an address.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-01-2020, 22:49   #6
Whereisgerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Have you traced the eldest daughter forward past 1939?
Find her descendants could help trace the others.

Have you got the parents' deaths? One of the daughters may have registered, which would give an address.
We did find some descendants of the eldest daughter but they had no idea of what happened to the other girls. There was a rumour that the youngest worked for a shipping company and just disappeared. We think Bridget is probably the connection.

We found the mothers death, a neighbour registered the death. We couldn't find their fathers death. I guess that the girls weren't living in Roscommon when their mother passed away.
15-01-2020, 22:51   #7
Whereisgerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
There is a Bridget T Towey naturalised in Pennsylvania in 1928 that gives Ballaghdereen as where she is from, but the birth date is wrong and I think in the 20th century people would have known their birth dates.
I did see that Bridget too. I think she renamed herself as Beatrice. I don't think that she is the correct Bridget. Infact, I think that I found her parents names too and they didn't match up.
Thanks from:
16-01-2020, 02:23   #8
Deja Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereisgerry? View Post
We did find some descendants of the eldest daughter but they had no idea of what happened to the other girls. There was a rumour that the youngest worked for a shipping company and just disappeared. We think Bridget is probably the connection.

We found the mothers death, a neighbour registered the death. We couldn't find their fathers death. I guess that the girls weren't living in Roscommon when their mother passed away.
I don't suppose you may know of the general time frame Katia worked for the shipping company?
Thanks from:
16-01-2020, 08:00   #9
Whereisgerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Boo View Post
I don't suppose you may know of the general time frame Katia worked for the shipping company?
I think she worked for the shipping company from the late 1930s. The White Star company has been mentioned.

I think Katia was probably just Katie. The name Katia seems pretty exotic for Roscommon at the time.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2020, 09:01   #10
pinkypinky

If you look at the actual handwriting, it is Katie.
(2) thanks from:
16-01-2020, 14:36   #11
Deja Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereisgerry? View Post
I think she worked for the shipping company from the late 1930s. The White Star company has been mentioned.

I think Katia was probably just Katie. The name Katia seems pretty exotic for Roscommon at the time.
I thought maybe you might find reference to her in the Signal (as they included more than just the ships crews), but wrong company and much too early a time frame.

Last edited by Deja Boo; 16-01-2020 at 14:40.
Thanks from:
16-01-2020, 14:39   #12
Deja Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
If you look at the actual handwriting, it is Katie.
It was late. I figured as much - just wrote it as the transcriber had. Ta
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion