Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pre-purchase survey-what's expected?

Options
  • 19-01-2021 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I got a pre-purchase survey done of a house.
    Cost me €550 plus VAT.
    Its a 130 year old house, on a 1.8 acre site, its got an outhouse and a very small one bed cottage on the site.
    I was very disappointed in the lack of detail i got for my money!

He wouldn't go into the attic as there was no plywood floor, just the joists and therefore described it as inaccessible. He talked about there appearing to be some damage to the fascia and soffit from his view from ground level but he didn't get up on a ladder to view in more detail. His view of the roof was from ground level once he put his glasses on and he decided from here that it was nice and flat. From what he could see there was no cracks on the chimney but of course he could not see the back. There are no drainage pipes and a small section of the house has a flat roof but no inspection or mention of the flat roof condition.
    He talked about us getting someone in to do a CCTV survey of the drainage and didn't bother to lift a manhole or have any sort of investigation at all.
    He spends the second half of the report saying that he cannot take any responsibility for any issues that come up with the drainage, dry-rot on wood etc etc

Is this normal for a pre-purchase survey and is this what would be expected considering i will have to pay him around €700?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What did you discuss with him before hand?
    Would you walk around an attic with no flooring?
    Why could he not see the back of the chimney?
    His exclusions are standard as without invasive examination, its just visual, with or with spectacles.
    What did you expect re the flat roof?
    How old is the flat roof?
    You say there are no drainage pipes so whats with the CCTV?
    Is there a septic tank

Re the money, its about right plus or minus a few quid when you consider the travelling time, survey, write it up, PI and PL and his expertise.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Id have thought the purpose of a survey was to establish the condition of elements of a property, I did until I got a survey done in the past and there was a lot of what you mention, exceptions, for what I paid I expected a lot more, rather than excusing why it couldn't be done, didnt feel like it gave me what I was looking for, which was confidence that everything was right.

Advertisement