Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Well I'm kicking off with Gardens of the Moon tonight. I'm doing so with some trepidation as I've heard some very mixed reactions and that GOTM is a rough ride.

However I'm used to heavy, complicated series like the Wheel of Time, which I love.

I've been taking it easy with David Eddings which was great but I need a challenge and I think I've found it...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

However I'm used to heavy, complicated series like the Wheel of Time, which I love.

The Malazan world is in a whole different ballpark to the Wheel of Time in terms of complexity.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    The Malazan world is in a whole different ballpark to the Wheel of Time in terms of complexity.

Really...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Really...:eek:

Most definately, wot has one central plot, malazan has so many plots, stories and don't even get me started on characters.

The big question for both of you, is it worth the effort..?

• Advertisement

Yeah most definately, took me 3 attempts to read the first book, its gets confusing as he throws so much at you with little or no introduction but once you get your head around it all, it's captivating.

Yeah most definately, took me 3 attempts to read the first book, its gets confusing as he throws so much at you with little or no introduction but once you get your head around it all, it's captivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

The big question for both of you, is it worth the effort..?

Hells yes

Thats good to know...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

The books are okay. They kind of need to be edited down a little and the characters aren't really that deep. But its a nice fantasy series to read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My favourite series that there is, after that it's a song of ice and fire.

I don't think it's that challenging to remember anything or that it is demanding, if you read them together and relatively fast. Otherwise tou forget so much. He also hurts your heart with his killings :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good news is there is still plenty to go.
    Erikson is working on his Karkanas trilogy, followed hopefully by a trilogy around Karsa.
    Esslemont has two more books to go as well: First one is back to Jacuruku and tentatively called "City in the Jungle". The final one is currently called, intriguingly, "Assail"...

A question about Esselmonts work. Can it be read in conjunction with Erikson or is it to be read completely serarately..?

Definately read it later.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭fitz

Definately read it later.

Reading the lot in the order they were published is what Erikson has recommended.

A question about Esselmonts work. Can it be read in conjunction with Erikson or is it to be read completely serarately..?
    Well from Esslemont's comments "Stoneweilder" is contemporary with "Orb Sceptre Throne". "Orb Sceptre Throne" is (sort of) a sequel to "Toll the Hounds". You could read "Orb Sceptre Throne" before "The Crippled God" for example (from a chronological perspective) but, under no circumstance, read it before "Toll the Hounds" as it has major spoilers.

Wow I'm so glad I've found these books. It's going to be some adventure. Sorry if that sounds childish....... No, in fact I'm not sorry at all...:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Enjoy, great pleasure reading them. :)

The AMA on reddit was great thanks ixoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Enjoy, great pleasure reading them. :)

The AMA on reddit was great thanks ixoy

Okay_guy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I've decided to have a go at this series as soon as I finish a Song of Fire and Ice.

I'm a sci/fi and fantasy nut but i do like to take a break when i finish up a big series, so it'll be a little Elmore Leonard in between.

Go Raylan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Just finished Orb, Sceptre, Throne. Spoiler free review is: Very good but.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Makes any books by any other authors I've read look like babytown frolics.

Reading Game of Thrones at the moment and it's like it was written for kids by comparison.

I recommend waiting till you're pretty sure you've only got time to read one more fantasy series before you die, because you're ruining all the rest if you read these early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I got the first book there and read... tried to read some on the tram, its heavy from the get go i like that. might just curl me self up and have a lash of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

When I first started up, I was left slack-jawed by a certain trilogy called The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, but rather than giving up in the face of that, I took it as inspiration.

I think this explains why I'm not so crazy about Malazan... :)

I see "Forge of Darkness", the first book in the Kharkanas trilogy, is due for release on the Kindle on July 31st.

Now for the rant: I also see it's for the rip-off price of $19.20. Erikson's publishers (and ICE's) seem to charge far in excess of the average eBook price for their works. "Orb Sceptre Throne" is still $19.47 - the paper back was cheaper on release in Irish stores. Why can't it be closer to Peter F. Hamilton's new book which I pre-ordered for $12.50 which is far more reasonable (and of a similar size)? Greedy publishers will only hurt themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I don't get it until Sept over here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PADRAGON

Fantastic read one of the best series out there.
    Horribly confusing at times but well worth all
    the headwreckery.
    Unforgettable.
    Highly recommended. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

I'm about half way through the second book currently and really enjoying it.

It took me two attempts to start the first book (I don't think I was mentally prepared first time around) and I'm still telling my girlfriend that "I'm not sure what's going on but I'm loving it!" :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭fitz

Imo, despite it being a little slow to start, if you get to the end of Deadhouse Gates and aren't floored, then Erikson isn't for you. The Chain of Dogs arc completely knocked me sidewise. I think from the second half of Deadhouse on, you start to get settled in to his writing and things start to make a degree of sense.
    I found everything from the second half of Deadhouse to really fly along, until Toll the Hounds and Dust of Dreams which were heavy going for the first half, with incredible endings.

My favourite series of books, bar none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aye, anyone new really needs to get to the Chain of Dogs before deciding whether to continue. The first book really just drops you into it, and it takes that long to actually get into it imo.

Advertisement