Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ladbrokes responsible gambling emails

Options
  • 17-12-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else getting almost weekly emails from Ladbrokes about their tools for responsible gambling?

There is no way to opt out given on the email and it purports to be a “customer service message sent to Ladbrokes.com account holders” and that “If you have chosen not to receive marketing emails from Ladbrokes.com receipt of this email does not alter that decision”.

While I recognise gambling addiction is a huge problem for some people, I am an infrequent gambler and don’t need to be told weekly about their responsible gambling tools. In fact given their excessive frequency I view them as being akin to marketing by the backdoor to raise awareness of their company and brand. Also I am not sure such emails are necessarily going to change the behaviour of gambling addicts in any event.

It feels to me like a breach of the spirit of the GDPR right to opt out of marketing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scobyone

I thought it was just me! They’re very frequent. I didn’t try to opt out but I agree, it does look a bit fishy. On about three out of five occasions, I have logged into the app to mooch around, following those emails. Something smells, alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Unfortunately there's no Irish gambling regulator any more and at the rate the government is putting it off, it will be a while coming.
    Try contacting Ladbrokes Irish Head Office or Joe Duffy.

Ladbrokes Ireland
    1ST Floor
    Otter House
    Naas Road
    Dublin 22

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/introduction-of-gambling-regulator-is-delayed-again-39527653.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's no Irish gambling regulator any more and at the rate the government is putting it off, it will be a while coming.

Ladbrokes Ireland
    1ST Floor
    Otter House
    Naas Road
    Dublin 22

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/introduction-of-gambling-regulator-is-delayed-again-39527653.html

Thanks might look into that later, for now I have contacted their data protection team, maybe a few references to GDPR might put the wind up them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

dam099 wrote: »
    Thanks might look into that later, for now I have contacted their data protection team, maybe a few references to GDPR might put the wind up them a bit.

Doubt that tbh.
    It's mainly run from the UK with a very small number in the Irish Head Office who look after the Irish shop Specials, UK won't care about data protection over here.
    Took me 5 days to find someone who looked after an Irish Special but I had to
    go through about 8 UK departments before they sorted it out correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

okidoki987 wrote: »

Ladbrokes Ireland
    1ST Floor
    Otter House
    Naas Road
    Dublin 22

There was one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement