Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus/Malware eating my data?

Options
  • 12-12-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

We have a 30GB allowance with Meteor and we hit our limit the other night with 4 days left to go which we have never done before,

Yes I've watched a few matches online, downloaded a few bits & bobs and the kids did rack up a lot of Youtube videos but it's not sitting right with me,

I've done the following to be sure;

Ran Malwarebytes and it came up clean,

Downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, ran it and it found 141 Adware cookies which are now removed, (not sure if these are even serious)

Ran Avast anti-virus and its clean also,

Opened Resource Monitor, clicked Network and I've found the following;

Processes with network activity

uTorrent.exe
    svchost.exe
    chrome.exe

Network activity

uTorrent.exe keeps popping up in between svchost

TCP Connections

nothing unusual, avast, explorer and chrome

any thoughts,
    thanks

EDIT: just something to add, I got a 3gb add on last night and we've managed to use 600mb of it so far,

we done some online shopping last night, it wasn't used all day today and then a bit of general use so far this evening!!!

cant be right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

uTorrent is for illegally downloading movies, games or music and can can use hundreds if not thousands of GBs per month if left turned on. Sports streams and youtube use 1-4GB per hour depending on the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

If mbam didn't find anything then you can rule out a virus issue.

Has to be the simple issue of everybody just watching too many movies online

could always ring your ISP and they might be able to break down things more precisely

Advertisement