Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible virus on laptop

Options
  • 30-10-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭

Over the weekend, I went to use my laptop but saw that half of the screen was covered by some abomination. Maybe it's just an internal electronic problem with the screen but it looked a bit too dodgy/artistic/weird for this to be the case.

Here is what I see:

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/tornaxx/media/IMG_0082_zpsfb876500.jpg.html
    This is the full screen, the right side is just partly visible.

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/tornaxx/media/IMG_0081_zps84710395.jpg.html
    This is a closer view of the faulty part of the screen.

I have Windows 8, on a Toshiba something or other. I have tried to do a system restore a few different ways but can't. When I open some applications, I can move the screen so that I can see all of it (but not at the same time) but with others, they are hidden by the thing on the screen.

When I click on Control Panel, nothing happens. Same with Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Looks like impact damage to me, very similar to what happened when my laptop was stood on. I could be wrong though - I haven't heard of a virus like this but perhaps someone else has?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I definitely didn't stand on it but I possibly could have placed something on it. If so, can anything be done?

And thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

When I click on Control Panel, nothing happens. Same with Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
    These could be from the virus. can you follow the steps in the sticky thread in this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'll check when I get home. Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'll check when I get home. Thanks.

When you start the laptop, you'll see the manufacturer's logo on the post screen. Does it look damaged there? Alternatively, can you connect it to a monitor or tv? If it's not on the tv, it's your laptop screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Looks like what happened to me.
    Fell asleep with it on my lap and fell off me onto the floor. When I woke up it looked exactly like that.

Sorry dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

physical damage, anybody even suggesting a virus shouldnt be aloud advise on computer products. The preassur points look to be under the bessel, 90% of these sitiuations happen from people lifting the laptop by the screen, or closing the lid with something on the keyboard. Either way, its defo physical damage

Advertisement