Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shire to create 400 new jobs in Co Meath

Options
  • 15-04-2016 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

400 new jobs are to be created in Co Meath over the next four years by Dublin based biotechnology company Shire.

The firm is to build a new $400m biologics manufacturing plant on a green field site at Piercetown.

Shire focuses on developing speciality treatments for rare diseases, neuroscience, as well as gastrointestinal and internal medicine.

To meet growing demand for treatments for rare diseases, the company says it is planning to build a new state of the art facility in Co Meath.

700 people will be temporarily employed during construction at the 120 acre site between Dunboyne and Dunshaughlin, with 400 permanent high skill positions also created once it is completed.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0415/782012-shire-jobs/

Piercetown is more between Dunshaughlin and Kilmessan. No?

A nice bit of news all the same.

Edit: One of my colleagues assures me its Blackbull, near the toll Plaza.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I think there is a Piercetown near Kilmessan, but that is not where it goes.

Where this is going is on the new stretch of R147 between the Exit 5 roundabout and the Fairyhouse/Trim junction. On that road, you have Plantagen which is to become Avoca, and then Kilsaran. On the main road itself just after Kilsaran going towards Dunshaughlin, there is a large white house, and then just after this, there is a large field. I think this is the site for Shire.

If you include Facebook just down the road, there is a lot of development in this area, which I am not against at all. However, I would be very keen to see what the council plan for traffic management in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I may wrong, but I think this is the field

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4480427,-6.4744308,3a,75y,68.33h,86.03t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxkFcroos1c8Z8MkHeVAMbg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DxkFcroos1c8Z8MkHeVAMbg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D75.416176%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I don't know what connection the people living in the large white house have, but there was a time when the old N3 followed line of what would now be the outbound carriageway of the motorway and their driveway stretched from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Colm R wrote: »
    I may wrong, but I think this is the field

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4480427,-6.4744308,3a,75y,68.33h,86.03t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxkFcroos1c8Z8MkHeVAMbg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DxkFcroos1c8Z8MkHeVAMbg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D75.416176%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I don't know what connection the people living in the large white house have, but there was a time when the old N3 followed line of what would now be the outbound carriageway of the motorway and their driveway stretched from there.

I remember. They lost a lot of driveway that time. You are correct about the location as I saw the news report that day with the RTE reporter standing at the field and you could see the side of the white house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

That's the spot - Brian Peters old gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Coat22 wrote: »
    That's the spot - Brian Peters old gaff.

Southfork! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

Sorry to shhhtick my nose in on an old thread.

I drive by there daily and was wondering what was going on. There has been a security hut set up just inside the gate of the house for the last few weeks maybe months even.

And then this morning I noticed a load of drains/trenches dug out in the field next to it.

Mystery solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Looks like the big house's days are numbered, I passed by the site yesterday and noticed a few lads throwing rubble out the upstairs windows (windows appeared to be gone), so I'm guessing they have finished using the house as a "Site Office" as there is a new big office compound at the back of the site now.

I passed the Shire site this evening, looks like they manually removing the slates, a lot of the main roof & timber work is now removed & the slates on most of the lower roof are gone too.

Good satellite imagery of Shire site & surrounding areas (& an Aer Aingus plane 6 times) on Google earth now (photos date 10/05/17)

Note: not on Google map yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I wanted to believe it wasn't going to happen but yes they've erected traffic lights at the site entrance.

• Advertisement

I noticed on Friday last (11th Jan) the signage outside the Shire Pharmaceutical site have changed over to Takeda Pharmaceutical to reflect the new owners to the site.

News Article: Takeda shareholders give nod for $59 billion Shire acquisition

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I noticed on Friday last (11th Jan) the signage outside the Shire Pharmaceutical site have changed over to Takeda Pharmaceutical to reflect the new owners to the site.

News Article: Takeda shareholders give nod for $59 billion Shire acquisition

Business and recruitment aren't affected. Lots of roles available

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Fatmeathman

Etc wrote: »
    Business and recruitment aren't affected. Lots of roles available

Some bad news coming out ot the Takeda plant I hear they are going to close it and sell as a going concern. Really bad news.

Some bad news coming out ot the Takeda plant I hear they are going to close it and sell as a going concern. Really bad news.

where did you hear this?

chewed wrote: »
    where did you hear this?

I know someone working there told this afternoon

Thanks. That is very sad! I wonder who paid for the building of the facility? Was it Shire/Takeda?

it would have been shire I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's crazy. The plant is barely finished construction & probably hasn't even been certified yet.
    Whole lot of money spent for no return..

ongarite wrote: »
    That's crazy. The plant is barely finished construction & probably hasn't even been certified yet.
    Whole lot of money spent for no return..

We'll probably find out in a few years, the tax payer paid for it! :eek:

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    We'll probably find out in a few years, the tax payer paid for it! :eek:

The tax payer didn't, it was a Shire investment, no IDA help was sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Shire built it, was acquired by Takeda and Takeda have no use for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Vicxas wrote: »
    Shire built it, was acquired by Takeda and Takeda have no use for it

Something else must be going on behind the scenes, why acquire a brand spanking new building and have no use, was it part of a larger buy out and came with the deal?

scudzilla wrote: »
    Something else must be going on behind the scenes, why acquire a brand spanking new building and have no use, was it part of a larger buy out and came with the deal?

I would imagine, there is nothing going on behind the scenes, Takeda bought Shire in late 2018. At that stage, Shire was building this facility for a drug which they were going manufacture there. Takeda probably has another facility in the world that has the scope for some extra capacity & has the trained workers to manufacture the "Shire" drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

scudzilla wrote: »

Takeda took over the entirety of Shire, including all plants in 2018. The Dunboyne facility was presumably just a line in Shire's numerous assets. Now that they've done a more detailed examination of their new acquisitions, Takeda must have decided to get rid of the ones that don't fit their plans.

As was said above, maybe the Dunboyne facility produces a product Takeda already make or don't want to sell.

The only thing going on behind the scene is that Takeda are 60 billion in debt and are divesting assets and products. They have too much manufacturing capacity at the moment and selling a "clean" biologics plant i.e. it hasn't produced anything yet will be far easier than an operational plant.

It also has a lot of spare capacity. On the plus side, Takeda are investing in Bray and Grange Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Metalpanic

Update on the now MSD site. Massive investment incoming.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1210/1183591-jobs-msd-meath/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wonder if it'll be involved in the COVID vaccine

Shire, then Takeda, and now MSD! Who will it be next year? :confused:

• Advertisement

It will stay as MSD, see the link above re: investment.

Advertisement