Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

spotted this on twitter today. The SUN have done a run down on the usage of the Bike Schemes in Galway and the other regional cities.

CYCLE OF DESPAIR Irish taxpayer spending €85,000 each month on bicycle projects in Galway Cork and Limerick – but two of them are facing an uphill battle

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2449236/irish-taxpayer-spending-e85000-each-month-on-bicycle-projects-in-galway-cork-and-limerick-but-two-of-them-are-facing-an-uphill-battle/

CYCLE OF DESPAIR Irish taxpayer spending €85,000 each month on bicycle projects in Galway Cork and Limerick – but two of them are facing an uphill battle

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2449236/irish-taxpayer-spending-e85000-each-month-on-bicycle-projects-in-galway-cork-and-limerick-but-two-of-them-are-facing-an-uphill-battle/

Was surprised on reading Anne Rabbitte's contribution as it is not her Constituency but she hits the nail on head for one of the reasons of poor uptake

The bike stations are not very visible around the city . . and the ones that are visible are not practically usable. It is all about location and accessibility, and the marketing of the scheme. I think there needs to be a review of the system."

First and foremost we need to look at the drop-off and collection points and we need to put them in more strategic areas to promote their use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Since the bike scheme started it has been horribly maintained. More often than not the bike has a problem. Had one instance of the front wheel separating entirely from the bike. Luckily i wasnt on the bike at the time. They just dont seem to care.

The (tiny) station at the bottom of Eyre Square usually has over half of the stands out of operation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I picked up a bike recently and started pedaling up prospect hill from Eyre Square, took the right hand turn down towards the bus station and discovered that my brakes didn't work, which was a nice surprise.

In fairness, whenever you get into or onto a rental vehicle (car, bicycle, whatever) you should always do a safety check before you start, including testing the brakes.

In fairness, whenever you get into or onto a rental vehicle (car, bicycle, whatever) you should always do a safety check before you start, including testing the brakes.

in fairness, that's nonsense. Nobody's doing a safety check on bikes in a public bike scheme, they shouldn't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

in fairness, that's nonsense. Nobody's doing a safety check on bikes in a public bike scheme, they shouldn't have to.

Seriously, you wouldn't check the brakes worked before getting on it? Are you consciously trying for a Darwin award?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe you aren't a member.

The T&C's which members have signed up to include this:
    Prior to using the bike, you must carry out a basic check of the main visible working parts, in particular (but not limited to):

That the saddle, pedals and basket are properly fixed;

That the bell, brakes and lights function properly;

That the frame and the tyres are in good condition and the tyres are adequately inflated; and

That the anti-theft combination lock is attached to the bike. This lock should be used by you at all times if the bike is left unattended at any time during the Period of Use.
    (ref: https://www.bikeshare.ie/terms-and-conditions.html)

The Rules of the Road publications, which apply to all vehicles not just motorised ones, are also pretty clear that the driver is responsible for inspecting their vehicle before using it on a public road.

And lastly - plain common sense. You know that the bike almost certainly hasn't been inspected by a technician between the last hire and yours, so of course you need to check it over. If you don't realise that, you probably should not be operating a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

i emailed the NTA about the state of the stands and general bike maintenance and they got back saying they are meeting with the contractor Telfourth next week so lash in a few email and put some pressure on them to make Telfourth meet their obligations.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    i emailed the NTA about the state of the stands and general bike maintenance and they got back saying they are meeting with the contractor Telfourth next week so lash in a few email and put some pressure on them to make Telfourth meet their obligations.

They're getting worse and worse over the last few weeks.

jkforde wrote: »

For a minute there thought there was a change of service provider.

https://www.bikeshare.ie/terms-and-conditions.html
    "
    1. Introduction

The National Transport Authority is providing a service (the "Service") enabling access to self-service hire bicycles in the cities of Galway, Limerick and Cork under public bike share schemes operated as Coca-Cola Zero® Bikes.
    The Service is operated on behalf of the National Transport Authority by Telfourth Limited, trading as An Rothar Nua.

"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tmh106

tmh106 wrote: »
    Pretty much identical experience to Worn_Out last Thursday. Very disappointing.

In the interest of balance and fairness, I mentioned my negative experience of the bike scheme to two friends who use it more frequently than I and they said that for the most part they had not had any problems with it and had a largely positive opinion of it.

I hope to try it out more frequently over the summer, so hopefully I will have better experience than heretofore, though some of the replies to this thread dampen my expectation somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

tmh106 wrote: »
    In the interest of balance and fairness, I mentioned my negative experience of the bike scheme to two friends who use it more frequently than I and they said that for the most part they had not had any problems with it and had a largely positive opinion of it.

I hope to try it out more frequently over the summer, so hopefully I will have better experience than heretofore, though some of the replies to this thread dampen my expectation somewhat.

But it's usually only people who have an issue that you hear about, the thousands of journeys where nothing out of the ordinary happens don't generate posts on boards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm an occasional user to be fair, so not a huge amount of journeys, but I've never had a problem bar once getting to my destination and no free spaces to park the bike. Bikes have always been well maintained and in good condition in my experience. The only faults I have are the saddle - water pools in the middle after rain, and the basket carrier in front is useless for carrying items securely.

Zzippy wrote: »
    The only faults I have are the saddle - water pools in the middle after rain, and the basket carrier in front is useless for carrying items securely.
    +1 on that .The basket is really poor design, Dublinbikes one is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dmitry Brychkov

<boards do not allow surveys unless specifically allowed by admins/mods. Survey removed>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Posted by Subcomandante Marcos on another thread, might be of interest to any NUIG students subscribed to this thread...
    [...] Subscription is free right now if you register with a NUIG email address and use the promocode NUIG18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Thanks for this. Would be interested to hear if this works for others. I am having an issue whereby even though it says the €10 discount has been applied it takes me to a payment page and I can't get past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Thanks for this. Would be interested to hear if this works for others. I am having an issue whereby even though it says the €10 discount has been applied it takes me to a payment page and I can't get past that.

It needs to have your credit card details in order to be able to place a hold on that in case you steal/lose the bike, it's also important for renewing your membership next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

It needs to have your credit card details in order to be able to place a hold on that in case you steal/lose the bike, it's also important for renewing your membership next year.

Thanks a million, that makes total sense although the website could have explained that the card would not be debited now. It's a very basic interface. Not to worry, I'm signed up now and thanks again for your help :).

Advertisement