Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apocalypse3

I have similar question as one of the previous posters, but my bank is PTSB.

If I want exact 6 month bank statements for example from 26th of May until today 26th of November, do I need to call them? I don't see option to take exact 6 month statements on the online app :((( I need it cause I gambled and want to take mortgage as quickly as possible and want to avoid it being on the statements.

Thanks a lot folks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If I want exact 6 month bank statements for example from 26th of May until today 26th of November, do I need to call them? I don't see option to take exact 6 month statements on the online app :((( I need it cause I gambled and want to take mortgage as quickly as possible and want to avoid it being on the statements.

Thanks a lot folks

On Open24 on a browser you can order a postal statement and it'll be from your last statement to the day prior to requesting it. Will come in post but appear as an estatement within two days if you have them enabled.

If you want specific dates, you need to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Thanks a lot folks

Did you gamble in May
    Get a statement from 1st may till present or just wait till 1st Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Foodie2012

Looking for advice from anyone who availed of the cashback offer from PTSB recently?
    We're due to close in the next couple of weeks and wondering how long it would take to get the cashback? Has anyone recently been in this position and how long were you waiting to get it?
    Hoping to have it in time to pay for all the balances on the furniture. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Foodie2012 wrote: »
    Looking for advice from anyone who availed of the cashback offer from PTSB recently?
    We're due to close in the next couple of weeks and wondering how long it would take to get the cashback? Has anyone recently been in this position and how long were you waiting to get it?
    Hoping to have it in time to pay for all the balances on the furniture. Thanks!

We got the cashback from PTSB 1 month after drawdown, seemed to correlate with first mortgage payment paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Finally got approved from Finance Ireland for exception on Monday for a new build just waiting on them to do a valuation and send loan pack. Longest 7 weeks ever!

Waiting to hear from BOI/UB but my application only went in 2 weeks ago to them.

Solicitor won't let me sign until I have loan pack..so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Finally got approved from Finance Ireland for exception on Monday for a new build just waiting on them to do a valuation and send loan pack. Longest 7 weeks ever!

Waiting to hear from BOI/UB but my application only went in 2 weeks ago to them.

Solicitor won't let me sign until I have loan pack..so frustrating

Your solicitor is correct.

Why would you sign a contract unless finance is guaranteed. You could be sued for specific performance if you couldnt complete the contract as the finance fell through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Your solicitor is correct.

Why would you sign a contract unless finance is guaranteed. You could be sued for specific performance if you couldnt complete the contract as the finance fell through.

Ah no I understand it's just the anxiety of wanting to sign to ensure the house is mine as naturally worried developer will be on wondering why I haven't signed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Financesetc.

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Ah no I understand it's just the anxiety of wanting to sign to ensure the house is mine as naturally worried developer will be on wondering why I haven't signed yet.

Buy what you can afford to repay or buy what the bank will give you. Tough one. Banks give yoi way more than you need. We were offered a mortgage on a purchase price up to 380k with 50k saving as a deposit. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Whodanoob

Does anyone know, if I get a variable rate mortgage and I use the help to buy scheme, and put a 30% deposit down, including the 10% htb grant, can I then pay another chunk of money off the mortgage after that is all done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hi

Do banks give mortgage exemptions on a 1 bed apartment? I'm looking at one in Dublin, and I have a 20% deposit, along with stamp duty and legal fees.

However, I need an exemption. Are banks willing to use exemptions on 1 beds?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Whodanoob wrote: »
    Does anyone know, if I get a variable rate mortgage and I use the help to buy scheme, and put a 30% deposit down, including the 10% htb grant, can I then pay another chunk of money off the mortgage after that is all done?

Yeah you can overpay without penalty on a variable rate mortgage

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Hi

Do banks give mortgage exemptions on a 1 bed apartment? I'm looking at one in Dublin, and I have a 20% deposit, along with stamp duty and legal fees.

Thats not really a question anyone will be able to answer with certainty.

It really depends on the bank and your own circumstances. I will say though, the assessment for an exemption is done on the applicant, not the security.

You would really need to call the bank and see to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Hi

They would rather it was a 2 bed

• Registered Users Posts: 40 misstyc

Got told by BOI I could only borrow 85% ltv (first time buyer) on an apartment outside dubllin even though its 2 bed. Is this a thing across all the banks? discriminating by location in Ireland as i would have gotten 90% ltv if it ws dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

misstyc wrote: »
    Got told by BOI I could only borrow 85% ltv (first time buyer) on an apartment outside dubllin even though its 2 bed. Is this a thing across all the banks? discriminating by location in Ireland as i would have gotten 90% ltv if it ws dublin?

Yes, but in Dublin you would be paying double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 misstyc

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Yes, but in Dublin you would be paying double the price.

its madness though, not sure i get the logic especially since i can also get 90% ltv if it was a house outside dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

misstyc wrote: »
    its madness though, not sure i get the logic especially since i can also get 90% ltv if it was a house outside dublin.

They know how much they lose on these properties when there's a market crash, so they adjust the LTV requirements accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What sort of exemptions are the banks generally considering these days? For context, I would be looking for a 4.5x exemption whilst still taking 90% LTV - as far as I know BOI and AIB consider this, whereas PTSB will only allow an exemption above 3.5x where there the LTV is no more than 80%.

Any general views?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

Hard to know. I’m waiting for a decision on a LTV exemption. Second time buyer need 85% LTV but on looking for 3 times LTI

• Advertisement

How much can you save a year? I expect a lot more with Covid. I have saved €20k over the last 12 months quite easily on about €26k net income. My income should increase to €34k net next year when I hope to save €28k per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

How much can you save a year? I expect a lot more with Covid. I have saved €20k over the last 12 months quite easily on about €26k net income. My income should increase to €34k net next year when I hope to save €28k per annum.

Didn’t you post about how much you save just the other day?
    Are you asking again how much others save?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ya U said that all ready, but haven’t said how exactly u make this saving? I asked before have u Netflix? Clothes? Do u literally deprived ur self of everything. I’m trying to save aswell so any tips is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭GoldenSlumbers

hey guys. I know for mortgage approval they want to see you save money monthly. even if it's something like 300 (on top of what you're already paying for rent). But I was wondering, do you regular savings need to be at an Irish bank? Or can it be international?

Also does it make a difference if say I save the money at Bank Of Ireland and then apply for a mortgage with a different bank. Or would they rather you save at the bank that you want to get the mortgage at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

hey guys. I know for mortgage approval they want to see you save money monthly. even if it's something like 300 (on top of what you're already paying for rent). But I was wondering, do you regular savings need to be at an Irish bank? Or can it be international?

Also does it make a difference if say I save the money at Bank Of Ireland and then apply for a mortgage with a different bank. Or would they rather you save at the bank that you want to get the mortgage at?

I wouldn't expect they would care what bank you are saving into, once you can demonstrate you are properly saving the funds and not dipping into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

We just got the mortgage loan offer, signed it this evening.

All they now require is valuation, house insurance and life insurance. I am going through BOI, what is the likely time frame here if i can get everything ASAP to the cheque being written?

Thanks

M

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya U said that all ready, but haven’t said how exactly u make this saving? I asked before have u Netflix? Clothes? Do u literally deprived ur self of everything. I’m trying to save aswell so any tips is helpful.

Hi, it's easy when no rent and few outgoings. I appreciate not many in this fortunate position. I dont have netflix. I have so many clothes I stopped buying ages ago
    My advice is to look at your bank statement to see where your money is going. Do you need gym membership if you rarely go. Etc etc.

Differenciate between needs and wants. Ask yourself do I need this? If it's an expensive item, and youre impulsive, dont buy straight away sit on it for 24 hours and you may be glad you didnt buy especially if expensive. shop around for bargains. All my food is reduced to clear.
    Eating out / drinking regularly? That's a total waste of money plus the food is very unhealthy full of fat and salt. Only eat out occasionally as a treat. You will be amazed at the saving and cooking is very enjoyable. I can prepare a main course for about 60c. I had chicken today. Homemade soup about 10c. I avoid all processed foods, if possible. I dont drive as I live near the city. My outgoings per month are very limited e.g.. €9.99 for phone, no separate broadband.
    I spend about €4 on average per day buying food, etc much of which is then frozen for the weeks ahead. Before Covid I used to travel abroad 3 or 4 times a year on budget European holidays.

I drip feed my savings into multiple regular savings accounts. I recommend Ulster Bank home saver, they pay 0.85% gross. I moved my banking to KBC as it's free if you lodge 2k per month. KBC regular saver pays 0.55% gross now so I'm getting money from them. ( I left Bank of Ireland as my fees increased from €20 per year to €72. So F.U. BOI! )EBS also have a FREE current account but POOR INTERNET BANKING. as regards Electricity I switched to SSE Airtricity and got €200 free credit welcome from them. I look for freebies a the time but very little in Ireland compared to the UK

Finally good luck to everyone saving for a deposit...

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

They may ask for credit report from international bank/country.

Myself and herself are back from living in the UK and I've secured a permanent role here.

My better half has agreed a remote arrangement with some back and forth travel with her company so will still be paid a UK salary. When we're applying would we still be able to submit a joint application with my Irish and her UK salary combined to be considered for the borrowing amount? Or would only my Irish salary be eligible?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Where will 'herself' be resident for tax purposes/paying tax? My guess is; that will be the influencer.

Advertisement