Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far back does social welfare go back on bank statements?

Options
  • 22-11-2020 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi,

does anyone know how far back the dept of social welfare check bank statements?

I am applying for the one parent allowance, its means tested, 20000 euro is the limit. I below that now but received an injury insurance claim last year which was paid to me. I used that amount to pay off a bank loan. Would this. be counted against me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Marie2020 wrote: »
    hi,

I am applying for the one parent allowance, its means tested, 20000 euro is the limit. I below that now but received an injury insurance claim last year which was paid to me. I used that amount to pay off a bank loan. Would this. be counted against me?

Thanks

SW will look at your current financial situation and will pay you according to it.
    As far as I remember they want to see bank statements from the last 6 months or so.
    If you was not on any means tested payment last year and did not have to report any changes of circumstances you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Normally 6 months and that's it but if it looks suspicious they can ask for another couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I don’t think there would be a problem if you used the money to pay off debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Marie2020 wrote: »
    hi,

Thanks

If my memory is correct on application for SW there is a question regarding any claims pending - I certainly wouldn’t hide it from them, it was last year, if they suspect you are hiding something, it could delay the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Pronto63 wrote: »
    I don’t think there would be a problem if you used the money to pay off debts.

And have a papertrail to prove it. I did read however that the leglislation had changed to specifically allow the SW to clawback benefits paid - specifically from insurance claim payouts - ypu shouod maybe google the leglislation & read the little print. I know it definately covers any unemployment payments made by the state to person who was out of work or could not work because of an injury. That was where its relevance ended for me so I didn’t scour the fineprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

I’m pregnant and my partner is due to be laid off - when he is unemployed can he apply for social welfare or some sort of unemployment. My salary is 28k would he get anything plus the fact I am pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭SourSessions

If he has enough PRSI contributions, he can apply for Jobseekers Benefit, which is not means-tested so your salary wouldn't be held against him.

Advertisement