Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Raspberry Pi Zero with purchase of MagPi Magazine

Options
  • 26-11-2015 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

Raspberry Pi Zero, made in Wales and priced at just $5. Zero is a full-fledged member of the Raspberry Pi family, featuring:

A Broadcom BCM2835 application processor
    1GHz ARM11 core (40% faster than Raspberry Pi 1)
    512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM
    A micro-SD card slot
    A mini-HDMI socket for 1080p60 video output
    Micro-USB sockets for data and power
    An unpopulated 40-pin GPIO header
    Identical pinout to Model A+/B+/2B
    An unpopulated composite video header
    Our smallest ever form factor, at 65mm x 30mm x 5mm

Now, does anybody know anywhere that sells the magazine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

TheChevron wrote: »

http://swag.raspberrypi.org/collections/magpi/products/the-magpi-issue-40

However currently out of stock :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭Sappy404

TheChevron wrote: »

Yer man on O'Connell St/GPO arcade has every magazine known to man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

Dont know about the Magazine but you can the Zero here for £8 delivered and according to the MagPi store the Mag is £5.99 before delivery (or traipsing around looking for it) I'd go with the Pimoroni one. in fact I just did,damn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

damn was just in the process of ordering from Pimoroni along with some other bits for a new raspberrpi and got an updated out of stock message for the pi zero

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

damn was just in the process of ordering from Pimoroni along with some other bits for a new raspberrpi and got an updated out of stock message for the pi zero

Still in stock here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Still in stock here

yeah I grabbed one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Just managed to grab one of these, they had gone out of stock temporarily this morning but when i seen this post i checked again to find they were back in stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Not stocked by either Eason outlet in Limerick. :-(

What extras would I need on this to get it running Kodi?
    I don't think it would be worth the hassle tbh. More a "disposable" board for embedded projects. Although I always think of RPIs in terms of "maker" type stuff first and media second.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Can anyone confirm if the magazine is in stock anywhere in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Reids of nasseau street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Reids of nasseau street?

No longer Reads. It's now an Easons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

b0gg3r wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the magazine is in stock anywhere in Dublin?

Not in Easons O'Connell st today

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MrShaneH

fdevine wrote: »
    No longer Reads. It's now an Easons

...and they don't have it

What a blast of nostalgia, desperately trying to find the issue of that magazine with the extra cool cover disk or free gift. 20 years at least. Amiga 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

What a blast of nostalgia, desperately trying to find the issue of that magazine with the extra cool cover disk or free gift. 20 years at least. Amiga 500.

Yeah, reminds me of the christmas edition of Amiga Format with a special christmassy version of cannon fodder.

Id love to pick a copy of this but i guess even if it makes it over here it will be dang rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

no ethernet. no wifi. no bluetooth. need more cables due to smaller than usual ports. I'm out.
    it will be good for portable gameboy consoles and the like....

ESP8266 wifi is sub $2, why wouldn't they include it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Because that increases the cost of a $5 device by 40% and would defeat the purpose of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭Sappy404

no ethernet. no wifi. no bluetooth. need more cables due to smaller than usual ports. I'm out.

Because giving away a Raspberry Pi for free is enough.

I did have the same thought. It's so small that adding plugging a load of stuff into seems wrong - set it up once then remote login after that via wifi.

Also - is it even capable of powering a wifi dongle without a powered hub?

I'm sure people will come up with cool uses for it but there is a bit of messing to connect to it.

PS - cannon fodder, man - we were reminiscing about that and syndicate in the office here recently. Still got your old Amiga disks? http://www.armigaproject.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Just picked one up in Tesco Dun Laoghaire - €6, few left on the top shelf separate from computer section ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

kungfual wrote: »
    Just picked one up in Tesco Dun Laoghaire - €6, few left on the top shelf separate from computer section ;)

I just rang Tesco customer care before seeing your post and the fecker's told me that none of their ROI stores stock this. Will check a few of my local Tesco's. Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

sarah88 wrote: »
    I just rang Tesco customer care before seeing your post and the fecker's told me that none of their ROI stores stock this. Will check a few of my local Tesco's. Thanks!:)

It didn't scan when I went up, the guy said it wasn't in the system so he couldn't sell it to me. I said can I wait til you put it in and he said come back in an hour. Went back and the girl that was there knew nothing about it, so just scanned the Good Housekeeping magazine she was reading at customer care and charged me €6.04.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

Any other lucky members found one? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I don't think it would be worth the hassle tbh. More a "disposable" board for embedded projects. Although I always think of RPIs in terms of "maker" type stuff first and media second.

Had kodi running on my Raspberry Pi A model for ages. What hassle do you mean?

You need a mini SD card and your media you want to play. If you want network access of to use the kodi mobile remote you need an ethernet or Wifi dongle.
    The essentials pack which is about $6 should have everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Tried two tescos in the city centre and nothing there. Seems like it was lucky you got one in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Will it run Kodi or Openelec?

syklops wrote: »
    Had kodi running on my Raspberry Pi A model for ages. What hassle do you mean?

You need a mini SD card and your media you want to play. If you want network access of to use the kodi mobile remote you need an ethernet or Wifi dongle.
    The essentials pack which is about $6 should have everything you need.

Yeah but there's other boards will do the job without all sortsa gubbins hanging off em.

I mean fair enough if you really really like adapters. Personally I'd put the price of the adapters toward extra performance but hey...

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Because giving away a Raspberry Pi for free is enough.

nobody is giving anything away, even at e5 they make money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Will it run Kodi or Openelec?
    Its faster with more RAM than previous versions which run Kodi fine.

Advertisement