Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

having a few pints the night before a marathon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

enricoh wrote: »
    If yer super fit it doesn't affect u as much. Was in the pub one Saturday n a lad that plays gaelic for the county was drinking vodka n red Bull all night. Probably the best forward we have.
    The final league match was on the next day n put on local radio to get the end of the match. The same lad got man of the match with commentators saying he was virtually unmarkable!!

Would like to know who this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Grew up beside Jim, a fascinating, humble man. Loved discussing the weather every time he went past the house as he walked the block. Id fully believe he drank the Coors!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/shufflin-mac-an-aristocrat-of-the-running-spirit-1.941087

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Why would somebody choose to race hungover? Firstly, you can't enjoy the night out because the race is on your mind. Secondly, you can't race well because you have messed up your sleep among other things.

Pick one or the other. Trying to do both just results in a rubbish performance and a so-so night out.

Because both are fun things to do. Having beers is fun. Getting up next day and racing is fun.

If you’re worried about racing with a hangover, then don’t drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ran the DLR10k in 2017 hungover as ***k after a bottle of wine and some tins of cider (classy..) the night before. It was a warm day. Half way through I thought I was going to vomit all over the place, by the end I couldn't speak as my tongue was stuck to the side of my mouth. My other half smirked knowingly when it was over and said said I didn't look the best and was not sympathetic to my painful dehydrated plight at all.

So yeah, drinking and running, good times.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Djoucer wrote: »
    Because both are fun things to do. Having beers is fun. Getting up next day and racing is fun.

I’d say it depends on the race. If it’s one you did any meaningful training for, having any more than one drink the night before is just stupid.

If it’s just an event you’ve entered for fun, or as a training run, then by all means go on the pi$$ as much as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Djoucer wrote: »

Racing hungover is not fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

thebourke wrote: »
    would anybody ever consider having a few pints of guinness the night before a marathon..the reason i ask is my brother ran dublin city marathon today in a time of 3hrs 17 minutes...he had 6 pints of guinness yesterday...he is 41 years of age..i

He probably cost himself 5-10 minutes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My daughter is graduating college on Saturday followed by a family meal and drinks, since I'm running in the Brain Tumor Ireland race the next day I'm planning on a sober & early night, of course that plan is probably going to fall flat on its face (me included) so running the next day should be fun lol.

After the Dublin Marathon a few of the group I run with went out for celebration drinks for the guys (and ladies) who done the marathon.

Next morning we were out for an 8km, I puked at 5km and walked home feeling like road kill lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

One things for sure anyway, nobody improves their performance by going on the beer the night before. Is it possible to race after pints? Sure. Are you maximizing the outcome? Not a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

One or two might relax you and help you get a better nights sleep so may be some benefits. Anymore than that cant see the benefit. More importantly if you are training for months leading up why squander that by knocking back pints the night before.
    Anytime I go for a long run after a few Guinness end up having to stop for a toilet break a few miles in. Not pleasant at 7 in the morning in the middle of nowhere !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

rm75 wrote: »
    One or two might relax you and help you get a better nights sleep so may be some benefits. Anymore than that cant see the benefit. More importantly if you are training for months leading up why squander that by knocking back pints the night before.
    Anytime I go for a long run after a few Guinness end up having to stop for a toilet break a few miles in. Not pleasant at 7 in the morning in the middle of nowhere !!

Well it's obvious the runner wasn't too concerned or bothered. Couldn't have been taking it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I won the county senior 1500m indoor championships after drinking a bottle of red the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

YFlyer wrote: »
    I won the county senior 1500m indoor championships after drinking a bottle of red the night before.

means nothing without the context!

pb? sb? standard of race etc. if I raced a 5k hungover now id prob pb, but id certainly do it better without one! Just fitter now

IvoryTower wrote: »
    means nothing without the context!

pb? sb? standard of race etc. if I raced a 5k hungover now id prob pb, but id certainly do it better without one! Just fitter now

Very slow race. Burn up the last 250m.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

I had 4 pints of Guinness the day before Connemara this year and ran a pb at the time. I wasn't expecting much out of the race to be honest and I think that played a big part of it on the day. I was very relaxed and after 20 miles, I suddenly thought this is going ok! I don't think drinking more than 1 or 2 is a good idea though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Having a few pints right after a marathon is probably the best thing in the world though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Some people are machines though. I've a friend who flew to Chicago on a whim, ran a 2:41 pb. Went straight out on the lash. After a rake of pints copped he hadn't eaten so ran for food. Fell, cracked his ribs and busted his face.

Then ran Dublin in 2:45 two weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jonnbinn

Never raced hungover but have done some training runs after 4 or 5 pints the night before. Generally I find my heart rate is a few beats lower relative to effort after drinking the night before which I find strange. Would have thought it would lead to a higher heart rate. Probably a perfectly responsible explanation though.

Just done a Brain Tumor Ireland race after being on the last celebrating my daughters graduation from college, woke up this morning realizing I'm still hammered so I blagged a lift (if I was road side tested I'd have lost my licence).

I absolutely died on the run, never again.

Although in fairness I did have the intention of just having two or three beers but then the whiskeys started flying lol

Just done a Brain Tumor Ireland race after being on the last celebrating my daughters graduation from college, woke up this morning realizing I'm still hammered so I blagged a lift (if I was road side tested I'd have lost my licence).

I absolutely died on the run, never again.

Although in fairness I did have the intention of just having two or three beers but then the whiskeys started flying lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not sure if you can read this but there is the coach recommending Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Sorry to come across as a killjoy, but I'm struggling to comprehend why having 'a rake of pints' or going on the p**s the night before running a marathon is a good idea.

It's a ridiculous thread topic and what's even more baffling is how it's already 52 posts long. :confused:

coogy wrote: »
    Sorry to come across as a killjoy, but I'm struggling to comprehend why having 'a rake of pints' or going on the p**s the night before running a marathon is a good idea.

It's a ridiculous thread topic and what's even more baffling is how it's already 52 posts long. :confused:

Coughlan the night before Helsinki had a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

YFlyer wrote: »
    Coughlan the night before Helsinki had a few.

He also ran the 1st 4km of that at 13.50 pace roughly 30 seconds slower than his PB well below race effort

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

rom wrote: »

100 miles and a hundred pints in a week. Fukcin ell. I think I'd be nearer to the first!!! Couldn't do the pints, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

right fk it I'm increasing my pints

Advertisement