Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done, congrats on the big PB. And yes, of course there is room for further improvement - it's normal to have to tough out the last 10k but you certainly can get tougher and stronger by continuing to put in the work. Anyway enjoy the result for now and worry about the next one later!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Well done on what sounds like a really well paced and well executed marathon. The last 10k is always going to be uncomfortable, just look at the expressions on the faces of elite marathoners towards the end of the race. There's undoubtedly room for improvement if you go again and complete another marathon programme, ideally on the back of a good spell of base building. That said, there are plenty of other distances, and indeed types of running, to tackle so if you're happy with your PB you shouldn't feel obliged to keep running marathons. Some people will only run one marathon, for others it becomes an annual thing, and then you have those who will run several each year. It's whatever works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats on the PB. Sounds like you did really well. It’s nice to be told somebody was following you in the race and to feel you have helped somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

Thanks all for the positive comments.

I didn't actually look at my watch but so long as I couldn't hear the 3:30 pacers I knew I was maybe a minute at least ahead of them. Even when as it transpires, I was slipping a bit in the last 5 miles, I still couldn't hear them, and there is always additional noise from cheers etc for a band of pacers, so I just remained steady...

The last 10K is considered the hardest in Limerick, slightly more climbs and I suppose it comes at a stage when you're really tired. But the last Kilometre is at least, mostly downhill so a nice finish!

Maybe there was another half a minute or minute in me but that's 'knit picking'. It was a day when I got the best out of myself.

Struggled to walk for about 2 hours, remember staggering into a chair in a Cafe afterwards, but that passed while the pb is for life.

Am entered for the Full in Galway in October (didn’t get a place in Dublin) and while that's a flat course it can be very windy and there's been no pacers the past few years.

Might do it for the weekend in Galway by the sea, but making an effort like I did on Sunday and the preparation, not sure if I would go for it again as soon as October. Might do Galway at a more leisurely pace, in the wind, but who knows?

For now anyway I can 'rest on my laurels'🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congrats on the PB, nice one!

I did Galway in 2021 and while I got a big PB and it is indeed very flat, I still found it a tough course and I am not sure I would do it again. It's almost too flat - if that could be considered a problem! I got quite a lot of a pain in my quads and I blame all the concrete and the lack of undulation to break up my stride pattern. There is no camber on the prom and all my training was done on roads with camber so I think this all played in to the quad issues. My body really wasn't happy from quite early in the race (maybe 10miles) and I'd had no injuries or problems on the lead in, I'd gone to 22miles with 18m at MP without an issue. Thankfully the wind wasn't too much of an issue, it picked up as the morning progressed and maybe the last lap it was a slight issue but we were lucky that year.

Anyways, rest up and enjoy your PB, you have plenty of time to plan for whatever comes next!

• Advertisement

How long before others resumed a bit of speedwork? I was thinking of doing a bit at Parkrun next Saturday, maybe at a different Parkrun to my 'usual' venue. . Of course it's psychological as well as physical. Mentally a bit of a break from intensity is needed too.

Thanks for feedback as regards Galway Ariana. Will probably do it for a nice weekend away in early October. But not with the same intensity as Limerick.

Wouldn't be in a rush. Do you mean 'racing' the parkrun? I'd hold off for at least 4 weeks after the marathon myself. But I'm conservative about these things, others might have a different view. I think recovery is the most important post-marathon activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Totally agree with this.

I think it was about four weeks after DCM last year before I did anything intense.

You know your own body of course but I would certainly advise being cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Fully agree. I hurt myself quite badly in the Jingle Bells 5k a few years ago. That's almost 5 weeks after Dublin and comes at a point where most people are ready to race again. Perhaps it was just coincidence but I suspect I wasn't fully recovered from the marathon and the all out effort was too much for the body to handle at that time. It led me to missing over a year of running so I've since learned to be over cautious!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

To give the other side of that coin, I ran my 10k PB 3 weeks after DCM last year. Between DCM and the 10k, I did one run of 2 miles. So it was the fitness from the marathon that got me through

Only you will know your own body, its a very personal thing IMO

• Advertisement

Hi I did one of the Galway Parkruns Saturday, first mile was nearly on a par with normal while the last was a real struggle as I slowed considerably.

A lovely day in Galway but incredibly tired the following day.

A 3 or 4 week tail to the marathon? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I'm still debating about what plan I will follow for DCM23 and currently edging towards Daniels 2Q (peak 89km/week). It meets a key goal of flexibility with the midweek run on either Tue or Wed, and allowing me a lot of freedom of making up the easy miles the rest of the week.

The tricky part seems to be tracking Q sessions which have a lot of variation during the run (e.g. 2E + 6M + 1E + 6M + 1E), but maybe its easily programmed into my watch.

Another concern is the max distance in this plan is 17m, but I understand the logic and could always adjust later if I really felt I needed to.

Anyone have any experience with the 2Q plans? My target time is "somewhere close" to 3:45.

I would suggest that this plan is too difficult for a 3:45 target and a second or third marathon. Overkill. Daniels method is great but it is very tough! Consider Hanson and do it properly and you will have a great marathon. Save Daniels for the sub-3. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

Errh, I think sub-3 is not something I'll ever get close to at my age ;-)

I'll get a copy of Hanson and give it a read. I know there is plenty of folks who have used it around here. The only thing I am apprehensive about is balancing kids activities during the week, and the need for multiple 90 min weekday sessions. That's why I was steering towards Daniels.

I think Murph is right here TheRef.

I'm saying that from bitter experience.

My experience is pretty much exactly the same as yours.

I ran my novice marathon in 2017, following the boards plan on the mentored thread. Ran a 3:58.

I then took on the Daniels Q2 plan for 2018 with a target of 3:40.

IIRC people were advising me it was too intense for me, think Murph may have been one of them.

I cracked on with it.

Got injured in September that laced me down for almost three weeks.

I then did a couple of foolish things, I stuck with my target, and I fully tapered.

Marathon was fantastic.

Up until Milltown 😊

An eye gouging torture after that. I had to be carried most of the last mile.

As Murph said, save it for your sub 3, and none of that 'at my age' nonsense 😉

Trying to decide myself what plan to go with for Dublin. My goal is to break 3:30. Same goal as last year and I had used a Breaking 3:30 plan from Evan Scully. Didnt follow it 100%. On the day, I think my nutrition let me down. I badly cramped near the end and my HR was very high from mile 2 or 3 (was up in the 170bpm) and stayed there. Came home in 3:39. All my other races and times indicate 3:30 should be no problems to me

5k - 19:41

10k - 40:51

Half - 1:32

I might go with the same plan again this time and try to follow it 100%. I really enjoyed it and think it works, just my nutrition. I have looked at other plans and dont really like the look of a lot of them.

I am doing Cork in 2 weeks but thats with a friend who's goal is Sub 4 so pacing him to that. Should help in the long run though

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I don't know who Evan Scully is or what plan you did but your 5,10 and half times are pretty much the same as mine, since last April I've run three Marathons -3.18 - 3.17 and a 3.18 on a tough Boston course. With a bit of luck on the day you will fly past 3.30.

This is Evan - https://www.evanscully.com/

A friend is coached by him so I took a look at one of his plans and took it.

But yeah, I absolutely know I am able for the 3:30. Its just getting it together on the day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven't run DCM since 2019. Trying to think of a good long game to play for 2024, aside from aerobic base and S&C, I'm not sure what else to do. Connemara ultra 2024 is in the diary following a deferral. DCM PB is 3:51:22. Will be running in memory of someone. Sub 3:40 would be great, but even low 3:4X doesn't seem realistic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Would you use a coach TBO? I went from 4:03 to 3:45 last year. Strength work was a big factor as that was new in the previous 1.5 years prior to DCM 2022 but I’d a running coach who built me up perfectly also.

• Advertisement

I think a whole lot more than that really. To break a milestone like 3:30 - especially after a couple of attempts - you need to take care of a lot more than 'on the day stuff'. Months of training at the appropriate intensity is what does it, time after time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's keen on my mind. Some of the ones on YouTube I follow having coaching businesses, they're all full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

in a weird way, the last paragraph makes it sound more appealing to me lol. i dont know why

glutton for punishment

Has anyone any recommendations for Marathon plans they have used in the past? Have a bit of downtime before I start training for Dublin, just finished Cork there on Sunday. I am looking to go sub 3:30. In general, I like having runs around 20-22m as the LSRs. I know some plans only go up as far as 18m and have longer runs midweek, but those arent for me.

I tried 80/20 by Fitzgerald before and couldnt get used to it either so maybe not that one, though I could try it again if recommended

Oh and realistically, we are talking about 4 runs a week. Potentially 5 one some weeks but with work and life, 4 is usually it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I used the meno plan to go sub 3:30 twice.

Majority of my weeks had 4 runs in them, a couple towards the end had an extra day with a 5km easy built in just to get out.

It has a couple of 35km runs built in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

There's a link in the first post of this thread.

Thank you both

Run 6x days a week and you'll smash 3:20 😉

What would stop you doing so?

• Advertisement

Life.

I'm a member of my local GAA committee which takes up some time.

I'm in the middle of doing a lot of work to my house which takes up every evening and most of the weekends.

I've a good few social events this summer, family weddings etc.

I've recently started a new job which will have erratic work hours.

I'm running 10 years now so I know there's nothing like consistency to get results. But I also realistic. I usually commit to the plan I do so if I said I would do one that's 6 days a week and I didn't do that, I'd be very annoyed.

4 days a week is what I can do at the moment realistically

Advertisement