Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single/Mixed Schools

Options
  • 07-11-2014 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Not sure if I'm in the right section,but was just wondering whether people think single or mixed schools are better,and why?

Personally I'm a mixed schools man,it provides better social activities etc.

All opinions welcome!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Not sure if I'm in the right section,but was just wondering whether people think single or mixed schools are better,and why?

All opinions welcome!

Racist! :pac:

Joking btw mixed sex schools are better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Heard that grades are higher in single schools

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mixed. Why would you want to segregate anyone is beyond me, some old fashioned fear of what might happen probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Mixed what?

In Donegal, a mixed marriage is a FGer marrying a FFer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

All opinions welcome!

Is that you, Gary Glitter?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Mixed what?

In Donegal, a mixed marriage is a FGer marrying a FFer.

Anything goes in Donegal, heard they can be from the same family even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

I went to single sex schools for the 14 years I was in education, it was probably the biggest mistake my parents ever made on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

I went to a all girls school for years then my last two years were mixed. If I'd to choose - I'd say mixed theres no b!tchneys & bullsh!te all fun and good aul crac! ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Splitting children up is a weird idea. Let's cut you off from a gender that makes up 50% of the population!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Went to mixed school and was incredibly awkward around girls. Can only imagine how much worse I would've been if I didn't have any interaction with them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

14 years of being in an all boys school turned me into one massive creep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Where I grew up the single sex schools got much better exam results.

I went to one and Also managed to not turn out to be a f*cking creep.

So anyone who uses going to a single sex school as an excuse for being rubbish with women or being a total creep would more than likely have turned out that way in a mixed school too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I went to single sex schools for the 14 years I was in education, it was probably the biggest mistake my parents ever made on my behalf.

Went to a mixed primary school, single sex secondary school, it was probably the best thing my parents ever did for me on my behalf.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. It's literally impossible to tell at an individual level which type of school would be more beneficial, and it also depends on your priorities whether it be academic or social development.

Sending a child to a mixed school with a poor academic record wouldn't do them any favours in the long run. There's always opportunities for their social development outside school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

This is utterly school dependent. It's similar to private vs state; it doesn't matter if its 6k a year and it's pish vs free and a good school. Socially, I really can't tell the difference in people that went one way or the other in whichever gender of schools. The only difference I've ever seen is that some people that went to the same gender schools tend to have more of the same gender pals; but behavior nae difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I'd say you'd have more bant in an all-boys school... all girl's schools could be bitchy... but I think mixed is the best way to go, I've met males and females who never encountered the opposite sex until they were finished school....

LoganRice wrote: »
    I'd say you'd have more bant in an all-boys school... all girl's schools could be bitchy... but I think mixed is the best way to go, I've met males and females who never encountered the opposite sex until they were finished school....

How was that even possible?

No mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, cousins, neighbours, friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

How was that even possible?

No mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, cousins, neighbours, friends?

Well parents and relatives aside, yes some people I know never had friendships with people during school of the opposite sex...I mean they would have seen people in places but not at school with regular interactions and contact. I guess i don't mean what i said in a literal sense but I suppose it came across that way, sorry for confusing you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

LoganRice wrote: »
    Well parents and relatives aside, yes some people I know never had friendships with people during school of the opposite sex...I mean they would have seen people in places but not at school with regular interactions and contact. I guess i don't mean what i said in a literal sense but I suppose it came across that way, sorry for confusing you :(

Yep, that happens a lot.

Yep, that happens a lot.

Which, me being confused, or... or both? :D

Ah no, I don't think it's fair to say it happens a lot, especially not nowadays with most young people having access to social media or communication devices in some shape or form.

I grew up in the country where you were miles from your neighbours in any direction, and we still managed to meet up outside school with members of the opposite sex!

Of course back then there wasn't anything like the social isolation young people nowadays experience - 500 friends and nobody to talk to!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Was in a mixed school for 4 years at primary and then spent the rest in an all girls school.

I liked it, there was less bitching going on compared to the mixed school it seemed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement