Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

oddly enough I just bought a boxed copy this today for €2 :)
    (need to decide if the box gets donated to my starflight and a repro cover gets printed..;))
    That and PGA II on the meg , and microprose soccer are the only (non track and field joystick waggler) sports games I've ever really liked ..

You guys havn't lived until you've played Premier Manager on the megadrive. It's a toss up between that & Kevin Keegans Player Manager on the SNES

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    You guys havn't lived until you've played Premier Manager on the megadrive. It's a toss up between that & Kevin Keegans Player Manager on the SNES

Ryan Giggs football on the SNES. My brother and his friend agree it's the worst game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Worst football game ever has to be Adidas Power Soccer. There was an ok game in there somewhere, except they broke it to showcase the predator boot. Automatic goals for a 'predator shot' and crap like that. I paid 30-something quid for the privilege of owning an Adidas commercial.

UEFA striker on the DC and PS1 is also dire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actua Soccer is another atrocity. Amazing for it's time because it was one of the first games to use motion capture and to do commentary half decently. Go back to it now and the animation is god awful as is the commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,531 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »

I fell asleep half way through that post. :p

• Advertisement

Can we ban enternow from this thread? The smell of sell out loserness from him is infecting the awesome of my retrogame party of awesomeness :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can we ban enternow from this thread? The smell of sell out loserness from him is infecting the awesome of my retrogame party of awesomeness :P

No we can't as we need a contingency plan incase a console goes down or needs to be modded so we gotta keep him sweet;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Best sports game ever, for me at least, was Formula 1 '97, it was utterly brilliant, visuals, presentation, audio, excellent arcade or sim mode with different menus and an in game palette swap, superb stuff.
    One of the first racing games that made nongamers stop in their tracks, it was a great update to the triumph of the previous years Formula 1, also on playstation and pc.

Of course they cocked it up with F1'98 the following year, but F1'97 remains my fave F1 game of all time.

I got to play a 3Dfx accelerated version on pc and it was pretty special although Geoff Crammond had the genre there sewn up with F1gp2 at that time.
    It lost a lot of the polygon tearing that plagued ps games.

Athlete Kings on the Saturn was good as was Tour de France on my PS2.

The MotoGP series on the Xbox and the first couple on the 360 were great too.
    I quite enjoyed Manx TT on the Saturn as well, but the TT games on the PS2 were superb in a quirky way, racing side cars through country villages, brilliant!
    The TT game polyphony was rubbish though, pity....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Best sports game ever, for me at least, was Formula 1 '97, it was utterly brilliant, visuals, presentation, audio, excellent arcade or sim mode with different menus and an in game palette swap, superb stuff.
    One of the first racing games that made nongamers stop in their tracks, it was a great update to the triumph of the previous years Formula 1, also on playstation and pc.

Of course they cocked it up with F1'98 the following year, but F1'97 remains my fave F1 game of all time.

I got to play a 3Dfx accelerated version on pc and it was pretty special although Geoff Crammond had the genre there sewn up with F1gp2 at that time.

I quite enjoyed Manx TT on the Saturn as well, but the TT games on the PS2 were superb in a quirky way, racing side cars through country villages, brilliant!

F1 97 was a great game on PS1 I played the crap out of it, as for MotoGP on PS2 didn't like the way it played even though I love motorcycle racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I thought '99 on the PS1 (I think) was great, huge step in the graphics at the time.

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    No we can't as we need a contingency plan incase a console goes down or needs to be modded so we gotta keep him sweet;)

I suppose with amacachi there anything can happen :P (sorry man, had to be done!)

:(

Don't worry about it, it was more funny than anything else when you did it :)

What did he do?

I don't think I've ever had my head in my hands for as long as that. Actually there was once, few months ago a mate and I went to a gig in Dublin and I fell as I got to the front of the balcony I slipped and a full pint smashed on the edge and Carlsberg and glass rained on a few people. Met them afterwards and they found it funny thankfully. :pac:
    I'm generally not that clumsy though, I swear!

amacachi wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever had my head in my hands for as long as that.

I think you thought I would have went mental but I was trying to hold in the laughter because of how distraught you looked! Sure it was an accident and everything was fixed anyway.
    pdbhp wrote: »
    What did he do?

When we went to augmersons for a retronight amacachi accidentally tripped on the wires for my saturn and sent it flying! Good old sega engineering though, it still works fine. If it was a 360 it would have been screwed :)

Ha ha thats because of all the wireless controllers these days people forget that older consoles have wires.

Anywho does anybody need a lift on Saturday from the Southside or City Centre??

Also retr0 can you PM me your address or a map to find you!

I'll send a PM now. It's really easy to find.

Don't worry amacachi, I've got a few spare duvets and have fashioned a full bodysuit for you to minimise damage when you arrive :P

Looks like I could do with a lift, could've sworn there were buses running from here that ran through Balbriggan but it seems that's no longer the case.

You have to get off at drogheda and then get the bus there to balbriggan... assuming you are in dundalk? You could try the train either?

• Advertisement

You have to get off at drogheda and then get the bus there to balbriggan... assuming you are in dundalk? You could try the train either?

Yeah I'm in Dundalk. Might get the bus to Dublin and one back out, turns out that I hadn't been charged for stuff on Amazon that I thought I had been so I can't afford the opulence of the train. :pac:

Thought a bus to drogheda then a bus to balbriggan would be quicker?

Thought a bus to drogheda then a bus to balbriggan would be quicker?

Yeah but I've already got a ticket that'll get me into the city centre, could really do with saving a tenner if I can.

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah but I've already got a ticket that'll get me into the city centre, could really do with saving a tenner if I can.

I can collect you from the city centre if you can let me know what time your train arrives at connolly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

nah best sports game ever
    Track and field , on mame with a PS2 dancemat hooked up as the buttons.
    If I ever get around to hosting a night later in the year I'll have to set it up again...;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just thought of it, should I bring Steel Battalion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

may as well because I not bringing mine! Tellin' yaah :pac:

Only if it's not too much trouble.

When could marching around in 30 tons of bad ass be too much trouble????
    Given that I haven't played it since the last retro games night :(

• Advertisement

When could marching around in 30 tons of bad ass be too much trouble????
    Given that I haven't played it since the last retro games night :(

No better excuse then :)

Advertisement