Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What console will I stick on the projector?
    Last time it was the Nes which Sparks commandeered with Boulder Gash or something ...
    I seem to remember that mental beat 'em up getting a good airing as well, perhaps Dinorex's arcade stick will work as planned this time!
    Atari vcs for giant warlords action. ill be heading from maynooth so if any leixlip/celbridge/blanch people want a lift let me. know

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can your projector rotate the image vertically? I haven't had a chance to break out that Raiden 2 pcb since playing it on Andrew76's rotated tv a good while ago.

This might sound silly but couldn't the projector be placed on it's side if need be? Assuming it doesn't overheat or anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I believe it can, will have to make a screen somehow ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I believe it can, will have to make a screen somehow ...

I'm fairly sure the projector in question has a setting to turn the picture 90°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Dinorex and o1s1n you can accompany myself and johnny ultimate! Just make your way via the Luas to dundrum. I'll also bring my 3ds

It would be after 9 before I could make it out to Dundrum.

Are you coming around the M50? I could meet you guys at the other end, maybe at the Darndale Hilton...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    It would be after 9 before I could make it out to Dundrum.

Are you coming around the M50? I could meet you guys at the other end, maybe at the Darndale Hilton...

I might be heading in that way, if you and sparks need a lift...

And I have an issue with the Supergun and Projector, when I try to hook the two up I'm getting no picture.
    Turns out the Supergun is a Vogatek MkIII which outputs video via Scart RGB.
    The projector can handle composite, VGA and Component.

Is there a way to marry them without costing a fortune?
    Otherwise, No Giant Raiden!

And I have an issue with the Supergun and Projector, when I try to hook the two up I'm getting no picture.

I wonder would a Sync Strike come to the rescue there? It's used for RGB SCART input and outputs VGA. Just in case anyone going along had one to bring maybe.

Does someone have such a thing?
    Some of you have some pretty weird stuff in your man-caves, so please help a brother out!
    I can hook it back up to the main TV but ain't no rotating that.

I may not see it but can hear it, at least I've cables for that!

I have one but won't be able to make Friday unfortunately, Pyong has one too though. Actually I'm wondering, what resolutions does that projector handle? I'm wondering would some sort of upscaler or converter be needed between the Sync Strike and the projector input. Pyong-meister is needed in these matters. :)

I have the MK3 Vogatek Supergun, should've got the Mk2, mine has RGB out but then limits the devices I can plug it into, like I said the projector is having none of it :(
    It only has a video phono and a VGA in for video.

• Advertisement

Now, the projector has a s-video input, is there a way to take the video out from the scart and convert it?
    Cheaply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's really weird that your projector doesn't do RGB. I Thought it would be standard!

I'm think if your Vogatek does RGB then it'll do composite too. Have you got a composite cable with those RGB scart adapters you can plug the cables into?

Oh good stuff.

I also have a 50" projector screen in my office in Coolock if we want to grab that.

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's really weird that your projector doesn't do RGB. I Thought it would be standard!

I'm think if your Vogatek does RGB then it'll do composite too. Have you got a composite cable with those RGB scart adapters you can plug the cables into?

Nope, there are several different types or Mk's as he calls them.
    Some have Neogeo stick inputs, some 2 Megadrive ports, mine has a more useful block for connecting arcade sticks.
    They also have varying video out, see the table on the site linked here

Never mind, it's back home, beneath the tv.. :(
    Ah well, plenty of other things to wire up to the projector.

Master of the Universe

Nope, there are several different types or Mk's as he calls them.
    Some have Neogeo stick inputs, some 2 Megadrive ports, mine has a more useful block for connecting arcade sticks.
    They also have varying video out, see the table on the site linked here

If you look at that list, composite isn't mentioned. I think that's because some of the pins in RGB scart carry composite signals. So if you plug an RGB cable into a composite jack you'll get a composite picture.

It is why you can accidentally plug an RGB cable into the composite slot on your tv and still get a picture. (and why I think some people reckon RGB isn't all that great - it's because what they're looking at is still composite)

A cable like this -

scart-cinch-switch.JPG
    search?q=composite+scart&view=detail&id=0712FA4DA1D0A1CFF9C35DD7A09CFE84A45C0EA6&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

Edit -after further investigation, yep, composite is carried.

Pins 17,19 & 20 of RGB carry composite video.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A cable like the one above will work if composite or s-video (basically the same thing) are supported.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A cable like the one above will work if composite or s-video (basically the same thing) are supported.

Ah hang on, they have a section for S Video and 'RCA video' in that table Ciderman linked with a big red X. RCA is another term for composite. :(

I think this is the first time in history I have ever been sad that something won't output composite.

What next, RF?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't even go there!

• Advertisement

Don't even go there!
    But How I play my VEE CEE ESS GAAAAMEZZZ WIT ARR GEE BEEEZZ?

VCS games on anything other than RF is wrong :) it's not like the visuals will be much improved anyway!

It'll be a stepdown quality wise , but a cheap fix is to use a VCR!
    Scart RGB goes into SCART 1(input) and Composite comes out via scart 2(and an adaptor if needed) .
    I use one for getting RGB SCART and RF based consoles connected to my video capture card (which only wants composite/RF).
    I can bring one if you like

VCS games on anything other than a fuzzy black and white portable is wrong .it's not like the visuals will be much improved anyway!
    FYP :)

Playing Warlords through RF while badly tuned in on a CRT in DinoRex's brought a tear to the eye.

Master of the Universe

Scart RGB goes into SCART 1(input) and Composite comes out via scart 2(and an adaptor if needed) .
    I use one for getting RGB SCART and RF based consoles connected to my video capture card (which only wants composite/RF).

That's a really Interesting solution.

WAIT A MINUTE!

Chaining devices together to alter video signals?

!!!

I better give Luas_Dublin a ring, looks like Pyongyang has hijacked his account! :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Playing Warlords through RF while badly tuned in on a CRT in DinoRex's brought a tear to the eye.

Even worse, I'm pretty sure that was RF badly turned on an LCD!

It was a hell of a lot of fun, but sweet jesus, saying it looked like a dog's arse would be a compliment! :D

I think it's the most extreme case of Gameplay > Graphics

I'm deffo bringing a copy of it and 2 sets of paddles tommorrow so.
    (hopefully cider has a VCS,;))

I can't wait now!

Tried it, no dice!
    I found my old but still functional VCR and tried to use it as a bridge but to no avail.
    On a brighter note I could watch my sister-in-laws wedding on the wall in the kitchen, and it's still crap, so maybe not such a bright note after all :(

Actually, brings yours along, and as payment you can have a massive pile of Edge mags!!!!

• Advertisement

I have, it's ready and waiting in the gamesroom!

It's a bit chilly up there, even with the heating on, so remember those Jesus-day jumpers!

Tried it, no dice!
    I found my old but still functional VCR and tried to use it as a bridge but to no avail.
    On a brighter note I could watch my sister-in-laws wedding on the wall in the kitchen, and it's still crap, so maybe not such a bright note after all :(

Actually, brings yours along, and as payment you can have a massive pile of Edge mags!!!!
    Rightio ..sure I'll bring mine anyway (and I have a spare you're welcome to)

I'm bringing my PS1 with Legend of Dragoon and Overblood.

And a lever of some kind to retrieve them from your own anus, or armpit, whichever is more gross!

Is it your power pack that I still have?

BRING MY PAC VS!!!

please, I left it in yours so, so long ago.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Shít news, gotta work early on Saturday so I prob won't be able to make this one. Meaning everyone from the Southside will get lost without my world renowned navigation skills..

oh yeah!
    if you still have it bring it if you dont mind.
    I've been using one held togetther with spit and sellotape the last while!

pdbhp wrote: »
    Shít news, gotta work early on Saturday so I prob won't be able to make this one. Meaning everyone from the Southside will get lost without my world renowned navigation skills..

NO EXCUSES!

Get your ass over here for some of the night, you can home early.... Early in the morning! Mwahahaha!

Seriously, place wouldn't be the same without your anecdotes about ram raiding Game in the Micra, carrying a roll of security stickers with you for returning crap games and that groovy kit box you keep your gaming treasures in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So what time is **** goin' down at yo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Have my Atari 5200 so if. some one has a step down convertor.....we could try it out ?????

I'll bring mine along.

What time suits everyone?
    I'll be heading to pick up a mate and Dinorex, maybe Sparks too.

I also have the step down of champions here.

And, more importantly, I have mince pies! (and sausage rolls! )

Any time that suits you really for me.

Around 7.30 would suit me.

Could probably do earlier.

I won't have time to make a cake though, but I'll be sure to have one when I host another evening soon.

I'll probably be a bit later in the evening
    If you need anything brought pm/ring me and I'll see if I can grab it before I go

Around 7.30 would suit me.

Could probably do earlier.

I won't have time to make a cake though, but I'll be sure to have one when I host another evening soon.

I was just talking to Sparks and picking him up at 7ish at Dinorex's place, so see you then? See the rest of you at mine around 8?

I was just talking to Sparks and picking him up at 7ish at Dinorex's place, so see you then? See the rest of you at mine around 8?

No problem.

fine by me

• Advertisement

I'm off home to tidy for y'all!
    Hide the cadavers from the last party, clean up the blood and faecal matter eight think Charlie Sheen calls it a Thursday night...

Advertisement