Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you Value your pet?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm leaning towards 'not a wolf' based on the fact that when zoological researchers studying the domestication of wolves, people who had decades' of experience dealing with wolves, brought wolf pups home to raise them with dogs and study the effects had to stop the experiment because once the pups weren't pups any more they became completely unmanageable, untrainable, and totally wild, and those were only half grown. If experienced researchers can't handle a young wolf I can't really see a regular person being able to have one in their house.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sod this guff and gloves off, in case somebody out there thinks this is reality and might be tempted to make a grave error for them and theirs on the back of it and end up with an actual wolf or high content hybrid

There is no gloves to take off. You are commenting on the genetic history of an animal you have zero access to. You simply have no idea what you are talking about. The people who HAVE accessed it however - do - people with actual training, qualifications and relevant medical and other expertise.. It really is that simple.
    again actual experts would back me up on this 100 percent.

Except this is simply not true because I have been to "actual" experts. They were. You are not. SImple as. I will take the opinion of people who actually work with the species, and people with actual veterinary and other relevant education - over some guy on the internet who read a wildlife magazine or two any day. And whatever background you want to fabricate simply does not negate the fact you have no access to the subject. At all. Not will you.
    That's all lovely and all, however reality again comes in to bite that on the arse.

And the reality biting your arse is that you have not just little - but zero - information on how I sourced him and how I managed to get him into the country. Nor will I be offering you information on either for obvious reasons (you mentioned legality). The two words you did use - one of the few places you have been accurate and on the money - were "problematic" and "lengthy" though.

While a vast quantity of the things in your lengthy post are indeed accurate in general - they are simply not applicable to my specific case.
    Given you apparently give courses in Vipassana, you're well ahead of the curve on subjective magical thinking that can twist itself into something that approaches logic if you buy into it

Now you are just getting personal and ad hominem in a way that does not fit you or become you based on the quality of the vast majority of your posts on this forum. Which coupled with the emotive and useless expletives you have populated your post with suggests you might want a few deep breaths before posting again. However you clearly know less about Vipassana and mindfullness meditation than you do about my case then. There is no magical thinking required for it whatsoever. It has nothing to do with the nonsense forms of "meditation" sold by new age guru charlatans and religionist frauds. It is nothing more than a training of ones control over ones moment to moment attention - and not a shred of magical anything about it.
    I really fcuking wish some folks in the actual field would jump in here

In my life - they have. And unlike you, they know their field(s).
    Otherwise some innocent passersby would think this was a good plan

And I happily and frequently agreed with you that this is not for everyone. Or for anyone but the minority. And it takes inordinate amount of personal investment - education - and knowing what you are getting into. You keep throwing the word "easy" at me as if I ever claimed it ever was. You are replying to someone who exists in your head - not on this thread.

If your goal here - as you have suggested it is - is to ensure no one reads that I own this creature and thinks to themselves on a whim "I am gonna get me one of these" then I am 100% with you. We can perpetuate that view point without you having to assume I am wrong on little or no data you have access to. We can come together and preach that view point without you having to pretend anything about me or him. It is a good point that stands alone without us having to tell lies or make up fantasies. It is a massively hard process to invest in - it is a massive drain on ones energy and free time - and done naively it will - as you said multiple times - end in misery for all concerned - not least the animal itself.

If anyone is thinking of doing it - dont. If you are still thinking of doing it then - really dont. If after all that you still feel you are up to the task - then get educated - informed - and ask yourself if you really have what it takes to invest in the project. And - like me - get in contact with people actually working with such animals.

And I would say that about _any_ non-standard animal - as I said that bloke in north dublin that I grew up near who just obtained all manner of creatures on a fashion whim - was visiting no end of misery upon them - as his idea of caring for them involved nothing more than hammering a stake into the ground and attaching them to it with a length of rope. Had I been stronger - braver - or more ethically informed at that age - I would have stepped in in all manners of ways - none of them likely legal. Your heart is in the right place with the message you are trying to convey. You are simply in error with how you are trying to convey it.
    Do you think you own an actual wolf? Thats cute.

I do indeed.

Advertisement