Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    If you go into your transactions, you can filter by the name of the stock and the date range for either buy or sell.

Not ideal but it will do, thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

You can't transfer with the aib app anymore as it is not an Irish account?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dickface

You can't transfer with the aib app anymore as it is not an Irish account?

Seems so, i have switched to online website.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PlanBee

Hi all,

I am a newbie here and as I see almost all comments about DeGiro are positive. I am intending to open an account,
    convert my euro fund into dollars and trade growing stocks as a medium term trader.

Are there any issues might be there please ?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

PlanBee wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am a newbie here and as I see almost all comments about DeGiro are positive. I am intending to open an account,
    convert my euro fund into dollars and trade growing stocks as a medium term trader.

Are there any issues might be there please ?

Regards

Conversion is done automatically during the trade.

No issues at the moment. Other than the well documented issue of no more US domiciled ETFs on the platform but that is not isolated to just Degiro and not their fault.

• Advertisement

Thank you gavmcg,

That encourages me to go forward.
    To convert the fund into dollars I meant to trade on NASDAQ and NYCE in dollars currency.
    Any advice please where can I see growing stocks, the most volatile, dividends stocks, fundamentally strong and so on.

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

I am building up a share portfolio with Degiro. I intend to buy and hold, so I am concerned about the long-term.

When I buy company shares through Degiro, do I really own them? Am I the registered owner in that company's register of shareholders? Or does Degiro own them "on my behalf"?

What I am concerned about is what happens if / when in years to come Degiro gets into difficulty and the receivers are called in. Am I the happy owner of the shares that I've bought, or am I standing in a long line of unhappy creditors?

A second question: can I buy US Treasury bonds (with the intention of holding them and receiving the coupon income over a period of years)? Or is my only option to buy into a US Treasury ETF, which carries additional counterparty risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Is anyone's daily % difference looking off for individual shares? Micro focus for example started ~1464gbx and ended on 1470 but it's showing a 4%ish increase when I think it should be 0.4?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

hibby wrote: »
    I am building up a share portfolio with Degiro. I intend to buy and hold, so I am concerned about the long-term.

When I buy company shares through Degiro, do I really own them? Am I the registered owner in that company's register of shareholders? Or does Degiro own them "on my behalf"?

What I am concerned about is what happens if / when in years to come Degiro gets into difficulty and the receivers are called in. Am I the happy owner of the shares that I've bought, or am I standing in a long line of unhappy creditors?

A second question: can I buy US Treasury bonds (with the intention of holding them and receiving the coupon income over a period of years)? Or is my only option to buy into a US Treasury ETF, which carries additional counterparty risk?

Take a look at the client agreement. Your points above are addressed in that.

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/Client_Agreement_Investment_Services_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

Degiro holds shares in a separate SPV and so if Degiro gets into trouble, the assets should be safe as it is effectively a separate company that holds the assets. Obviously if you have the cheaper non custody account, there is a little more risk as your assets are used for shorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Thanks, that's moderately reassuring. I am still unclear about whether the registered owner of the stock is me or the SPV (Stichting Degiro). For example, I bought shares in Volkswagen through Degiro. Does Volkswagen's registrar know I own the shares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I was wondering the same as gavmcg92

I was looking for Security Reference Number / Holding Information Number
    SRN/HIN

I understand Degiro use a Special Purpose vehicle (SPV) to hold financial information in the case of bankruptcy.

But does that mean I am not the legal owner of a security?
    I cannot get a certificate of share holder ownership?

I think this is the relevant clause.

6.4 Delivery of Securities
    Other than in relation to Units, DEGIRO does not offer Client the possibility to obtain registered or bearer shares via
    DEGIRO directly in the issuing institute concerned.

Not sure how this works with respect to Relevant Foreign Resident Declaration
    for share holding.

:( learning is fun :O

Anyone know what product categories reflect

A B C D ? is it Degiro's mesure of risk?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Anyone know what product categories reflect

A B C D ? is it Degiro's mesure of risk?

Thanks

Different share classes with different voting rights.

Here's an article with a few examples:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/20/shareholders-wont-force-zuckerbergs-hand-in-facebook-management.html

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Different share classes with different voting rights.

Here's an article with a few examples:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/20/shareholders-wont-force-zuckerbergs-hand-in-facebook-management.html

I thought that might be it. I tried using the search tool and
    I seem to only find some stocks in type B and others only in type D
    while some are in type A.

Does that mean for example AMD only have a public type C stock and
    A and B are not public or is Degiro not offering them.

Thanks

I thought that might be it. I tried using the search tool and
    I seem to only find some stocks in type B and others only in type D
    while some are in type A.

Does that mean for example AMD only have a public type C stock and
    A and B are not public or is Degiro not offering them.

Thanks

That is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

My last 2 lodgements to degiro have failed and returned back into my bank account. Anyone else experienced this? I have changed no details and the funds are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

My last 2 lodgements to degiro have failed and returned back into my bank account. Anyone else experienced this? I have changed no details and the funds are available.
    They changed their account a few months ago, if you missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Taylor365 wrote: »

Cheers I didn't know that, I've changed it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Dividend tax on Degiro. Does this have to be paid? Wouldn't I be paying twice if I'm then taxed on Irish income?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Dividend tax on Degiro. Does this have to be paid? Wouldn't I be paying twice if I'm then taxed on Irish income?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, can't find it after searching:

I own 50 shares in a particular equity via my Degiro account. I'd like to sell. My attempts to get a sell order accepted are unsuccessful as I keep being told 'Size (50) is not a multiple of lot size (100)'.

Any idea how to get around this? Do I need to phone them to manually put the sell order through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Taylor365 wrote: »

I've just got caught out with this as well. Transferred to degiro using a payee I had set up on my online banking. Saw their IBAN info had changed so set it up again.

I sent the new transfer 2 days ago. They emailed me confirming receipt of funds but wanted proof of my name and bank account before they would credit the funds to my account. Once I sent the info, they acknowledged receipt saying the funds would be credited in. 1-2 working days. It's very dragged out. Has anyone used Trustly on the degiro platform..? It says instant transactions, but when I went into it, it looked for banking username and password. Wasn't too sure about it but would like the option of a quicker transaction..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MarioLuigi

in DeGiro, say for example I set up an account, lodge $10k, execute a trade and make a profit of $1k. Does the $11k sit on the account and you're able to trade again straight away, or do you have to withdraw funds into your bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

MarioLuigi wrote: »
    in DeGiro, say for example I set up an account, lodge $10k, execute a trade and make a profit of $1k. Does the $11k sit on the account and you're able to trade again straight away, or do you have to withdraw funds into your bank account?

It stays in your account and you can trade straight away.

Edit: Just to clarify and apologies if this is obvious. But you'd need to sell the shares again after the value has gone up to realise your profits but then the money would be in your Degiro cash account to withdraw or reinvest.

MarioLuigi wrote: »

Hi All,

I have a question related reporting to Revenue in case if you have got a profit for the financial year. Saying, the initial deposit at the beginning of the year was $2000,
    during the year you made some profit $ 500 and total deposit became $2500. Then you made withdrawal $500 to you bank account via DeGiro.
    Does Revenue count the $500 as a taxable income ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That is a capital gain, not income.

Income is regular.

Income is wages, rents, interest, profits, dividends.

Capital gains are subject to CGT.

In Ireland, the annual CGT-free allowance is 1,270.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that it is not relevant where the gain is held, or what you do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is it possible to turn off margin trading? I changed my account to active without really understanding all the consequences. I'd rather just trade with money i have . There doesn't seem to be any option to do this or to revert to a "basic" account. Is it possible to turn off margin trading only or do i have to reach out to support and ask them to revert my account back to basic?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Is it possible to turn off margin trading? I changed my account to active without really understanding all the consequences. I'd rather just trade with money i have . There doesn't seem to be any option to do this or to revert to a "basic" account. Is it possible to turn off margin trading only or do i have to reach out to support and ask them to revert my account back to basic?

Can't you just place orders within your available to trade amount to avoid borrowing money?

Advertisement