Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood tests?

Options
  • 22-11-2019 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Prob a silly question but what tests are typically donr for a blood test? Can I request specifics or is it just standard stuff they look for. Like if I wanted to find out if im deficient in vit c or whatever can I request. Just wondered as have not had them done before and didn't want to sound like a twat :D Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Generally fairly standard - iron levels, cholesterol, blood sugars etc.

If you have a specific concern that could most likely be checked too.

Best bet is ring your gp and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There’s lets get checked.ie that do numerous blood tests. Pricey. If you ask your GP to test for vitamin levels they’ll probably laugh at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There’s lets get checked.ie that do numerous blood tests. Pricey. If you ask your GP to test for vitamin levels they’ll probably laugh at you.

Really? Why would they laugh? I was hoping they could do a full profile or vitamins/minerals deficiency type thing? If not where would be best? Just curious is all I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Odelay

zweton wrote: »
    Really? Why would they laugh? I was hoping they could do a full profile or vitamins/minerals deficiency type thing? If not where would be best? Just curious is all I guess...

It’s common for them to test and tell you what vitamins you’re lacking.
    What’s not common is for them to laugh at the request, never happened to me.

Odelay wrote: »
    It’s common for them to test and tell you what vitamins you’re lacking.
    What’s not common is for them to laugh at the request, never happened to me.

That sounds a bit more correct :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes GP should be able to do this. Results back in about a week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »

It depends. My GP said I had good results in all previous tests and asked if I had a reason I wanted my bloods done. I explained and he scheduled a comprehensive set of blood results.

As for vitamin/mineral deficiencies, they may not necessarily test for those but how deficiencies in those may manifest themselves in other ways.

It depends. My GP said I had good results in all previous tests and asked if I had a reason I wanted my bloods done. I explained and he scheduled a comprehensive set of blood results.

As for vitamin/mineral deficiencies, they may not necessarily test for those but how deficiencies in those may manifest themselves in other ways.

Ok, so I need to think of a good reason to get a comprehensive set of bloods so...:D like is there some important stuff in general that could be missed between a general and comprehensive blood test? Sorry for all the questions im on a quest to look after myself better and get informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

zweton wrote: »
    Ok, so I need to think of a good reason to get a comprehensive set of bloods so...:D like is there some important stuff in general that could be missed between a general and comprehensive blood test? Sorry for all the questions im on a quest to look after myself better and get informed.

My GP said he'd happily schedule tests for the sake of it cos it's easy money but he didn't think I needed them so was reluctant to. He conceded in the end because I had a good reason.

But most I've been to before had no problem booking me for a full blood panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I get the bloods checked every so often (every one or two years), usually for cholesterol. Have my GP take the blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

OP if you just want "routine" blood tests as part of a check up your GP will request tests they consider routine.

This usually includes tests like
    Kidney function
    Liver function
    Lipids (cholesterol)
    Glucose
    Thyroid function
    Vitamin B12
    Folic acid
    Full blood count (FBC)
    PSA

GPs vary in what they might request.
    If you're having specific sypmtoms they may request other tests.

Asking for weird and wonderful tests x, y and z just because you want them isn't neceasary and would be a waste of resources.

Advertisement