Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamma-Console

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

ooh tate mode :)

15481248305_477c271fc9_z.jpg

And regular mode (with dragons)

15294668297_28d9bbf0ef_z.jpg

I know the monitor is knackered but it looks a lot better than the pics make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh god yes! :eek:

That first pic is actually one of the major reasons I want one of these :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

ooh tate mode :)

15481248305_477c271fc9_z.jpg

And regular mode (with dragons)

15294668297_28d9bbf0ef_z.jpg

I know the monitor is knackered but it looks a lot better than the pics make out.

Whats all the equipment there you have for your setup with the monitor? the black boxes on either side of the monitor?

One on the left is just a 110V step down (Maplins), the one on the right is a standard Jamma power supply that I stuck in a ABS case and added a switch & voltmeter to it.

Cool, where do you get an ABS case from? and did you cut the slots for the display etc in it yourself?

Got the cases here .
    Ya you need to drill out all the holes yourself with these, but its easy plastic to work with just need a set of files.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So..... any idea when these are going to be finished? Just so folks can start camping outside with their tent and sleeping bag a week in advance. :D

No idea but I'll keep posted updates as I make progress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No idea but I'll keep posted updates as I make progress.

Whenever you get the time (and/or when it's in a fit state), maybe throw up a short video showing it in action?

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Whenever you get the time (and/or when it's in a fit state), maybe throw up a short video showing it in action?

I hoping to do that soon enough now that the PS2 controller is working on it, just need to find some quite time at home :)

Better look at the power supply. Not having a switch on the original one was a bit of a pain when used on a bench, didn't like the expose mains connections either.

15489387195_dd696129ed_c.jpg

And something silly.... but shows that anything with RGB out and the 'Atari style' joystick will also work.

15302742488_0c6f21f3ba_c.jpg

whats the coloured things?

They're called banana connectors.

Interesting, so what plugs into those? are they wired to the PSU? sorry for all the questions but was thinking about setting up something like this myself and yours looks so neat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Are we talking about Ole Jack Burtons night job again?

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    Interesting, so what plugs into those? are they wired to the PSU? sorry for all the questions but was thinking about setting up something like this myself and yours looks so neat!

Plug whatever you like into them :D they're the power outputs from the supply.

Black -> GND, Red -> +5V, Yellow -> +12V, Green -> -5V

I plug my supergun directly into it or the jamma test harness depending on what I'm working on.
    The 5V adjuster is still accessible too through the front panel as well.

So you just put those banana wires on the psu connections for each and mount them on the plastic box, then on your supergun or adapter put the connections for those banana things? did you consider putting the supergun inside the plastic box and having the jamma edge connecter mounted on the outside to just connect pcbs there?

Yep that its exactly.

My supergun (prototype one build on strip board) is mounted in one of these types cases alright but I made the ages ago long before I put this together.

I don't like mounting the Jamma edge connector directly to the case as a lot of boards won't fit properly, you're better off with the connector at the end of a harness as its a lot more flexible to use.

Progress.. Video noise barely visible now at full volume, still a bit of work to do but its getting there :) Not sure the amp is loud enough now though...

Video issues resolved, time to spin another batch of boards..

• Advertisement

Hoping to get a bit of time over the hols to do a bit more on this..

But in the meantime, here's a video of it in action. Ignore the crude camera work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Great to see the Saturn gun working so well!

So you got the PS2 pads working alright in the end? All my money, take it :D

By the way, you were right, that monitor really is lovely!

So.... its been a while....

Finally finished the new pcb last night. After going through several amps and a bit of head scratching turns out the design was fine all along.
    Problem is with the crappy jamma power supply or rather my board not using enough power for the cheapass supply to stabilise its output.
    Stuck on a fat load resistor and few other tweaks and all is well, hopefully send off for new pcbs next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Also used for hifi speaker connections, like on a NexusQ which I've finally found a use for

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    like on a NexusQ

I had to look that one up :D

So did I and I'm still not sure what it is :)

New boards are in, hoping these buggers work or I'm rage quitting and throwing all my toys from the pram.

Also made new adapter boards for folks with 1 player panels. Basically stuck two controller adapters on the one board for Player 1 only
    • Megadrive & SNES (also Master System & NES)
    • Saturn & PC-Engine
    • Playstation (1, 2) & XBOX

Mad busy these days though so no sure when I'll get to assemble them and forgot how many poxy SMD parts are there as well :(

18240723588_32a87f7dfb_h.jpg

And we're looking good at last , more or less :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Cool

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ditto :)

That colecovision slowed you down.

• Advertisement

Finally finished off the Playstation adapter :) So that's 8 different consoles working, I think that'll do for now !!

Mini update on this.

Using external controller converts I got XBOX, XBOX 360 and PS3 all working with the Jammacon PS2 setup :)

http://retrotechr.blogspot.ie/2016/08/jammacon-update.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

TLB, have you ever considered making something like this for the Pi? Some type of pcb/box twith gubbins in it that allows you to plug in different controllers from retro consoles, and use them on the Pi (the gubbins convert the retro signals into a standard signal for the Pi, meaning no different configs for each controller)? Is that even possible?

I've already done that for my RetronPi hack, it converts SNES/NES/Megadrive controllers into USB for the Pi to work with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very cool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Mini update on this.

Using external controller converts I got XBOX, XBOX 360 and PS3 all working with the Jammacon PS2 setup :)

http://retrotechr.blogspot.ie/2016/08/jammacon-update.html

Take my money ! Where do i purchase more stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

So great to have some "fab" guys like yourself and Steve X2 on this forum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    So great to have some "fab" guys like yourself and Steve X2 on this forum!

Get
    Out

Advertisement