Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting from scratch... Looking for outset advice

• 29-04-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I have been meaning to build an upright arcade machine with my son for a long while now and have been lurking in the shadows for a while! :D

We were talking about it during the weekend and we have the skills to do it, but just like the horrors in the mame of shame, we want to do it right and have a classic look to the whole thing.

Im just looking for some outset advice. The route we would be going is the hyperspin route, as mainly will be used for mame/nes/snes/megadrive etc and also as a jukebox when not playing games.

Would i be better off using a simple 2 player control layout with just a joystick and 6 button layout for each player. (and player 1/2 buttons in centre towards the screen) - any other thing i should be considering regarding controls?

Also, what would be the norm for screen size?

Thanks for any info!

Comments

First thing I'll say that building is the expensive option.
    It becomes very expensive very very fast.
    but if you know that and want to continue my advice is to get a monitor first and build around it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Watch out for a cheap Silver line maybe?
    Rock solid and built to last.

There's a IKEA unit based cab on Adverts with the monitor already fitted, just plug in PC and sort out some controls.
    http://www.adverts.ie/3475073

A little PC and a control panel, I built one of these and it's a great place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

As brownfinger said try pick up a cheap woody and use that as your starting point, I've built a few and it ends up costing you alot more in the long run but it's a good experience( although head wrecking at times) build it from nothing.
    Also if build your cab off the design of a cab which has already been manufactured i.e mortal kombat donkey kong etc
    Ive seen some cabs that just turn out awful when people try to create there own design!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Watch out for a cheap Silver line maybe?
    Rock solid and built to last.

There's a IKEA unit based cab on Adverts with the monitor already fitted, just plug in PC and sort out some controls.
    http://www.adverts.ie/3475073

A little PC and a control panel, I built one of these and it's a great place to start.

I have to say the Ikea one wouldn't be my cup of tea, but the pics of the silver line ones i googled are exactly what im looking for shape and style wise.
    FixitFelix wrote: »
    As brownfinger said try pick up a cheap woody and use that as your starting point, I've built a few and it ends up costing you alot more in the long run but it's a good experience( although head wrecking at times) build it from nothing.
    Also if build your cab off the design of a cab which has already been manufactured i.e mortal kombat donkey kong etc
    Ive seen some cabs that just turn out awful when people try to create there own design!!

Yeah, i think maybe buying an empty cab to start might be a way to start our first build. Like yourself and brownfingers point of maybe looking into getting a silver line or similar cab would make life easier for a first build and no having to get bezels done/buying t-moulding/building the case etc.

I would deffo agree with you on copying plans/dimensions of classic cabs, that had been my plan all along as i prefer the classic look of a cab and not the "look what i made in the shed with a jigsaw and a blindfold" examples that are all too often for sale on advert and done deal!

Can i ask though, besides silverline, is there any other makes/models of cabs that i should be searching for online, what sort of money should i be expecting to pay and (finally!) are adverts/done deal the best place to look or should i be looking else where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I have a couple of cabs that might suit . depending on what you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have a couple of cabs that might suit . depending on what you want

Cheers Mitch,

Pm Sent

Advertisement