Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Internationals may be with Amazon Prime!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I get the rationale for selling broadcast rights to Prime, and I would have no problem paying a subscription for it. But there needs to be a TV alternative too - far too many fans will be disenfranchised because they simply don't have good enough broadband to stream matches. Ours isn't too bad, although at times it can be awful. Our neighbours across the road can barely watch a youtube video without buffering, using the same provider. Fibre is simply not coming here any time soon, we're too far from the exchange to get decent speeds through the copper wire, and the wireless BB is not reliable enough. Outside of the major urban centres this is a big problem for hundreds of thousands of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

This could be a huge turning point for me. I don't pay to watch any rugby at present. I've been using dodgy streams all my life. I even recently got rid of standard sky box as I wasn't using it enough. I can't even watch free to air right now. I'm not willing to pay for a year's subscription for various channels and boxes when all I want is rugby and only rugby. Hopefully the streaming service works and isn't choppy. Spotify managed to crack the music industry for me. It was suddenly more convenient and better than pirating music. I'm very interested to see if amazon can do the same.

This exactly. I nearly pulled the plug and moved to Eir when they had all the rugby and there was a reasonably good deal for the first year (glad I didn't in hindsight!)

But the amount of ****e they try to pedal to make the money you're paying seem worth it is borderline patronising.

"Catch up with the latest NASCAR!"

"See what's happening on day 2 of the Maldives Golf Open"

"Welcome to ESPN 8 the Ocho"

I just want rugby. Let me pay for something that just let's me watch rugby!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zzippy wrote: »
    I get the rationale for selling broadcast rights to Prime, and I would have no problem paying a subscription for it. But there needs to be a TV alternative too - far too many fans will be disenfranchised because they simply don't have good enough broadband to stream matches. Ours isn't too bad, although at times it can be awful. Our neighbours across the road can barely watch a youtube video without buffering, using the same provider. Fibre is simply not coming here any time soon, we're too far from the exchange to get decent speeds through the copper wire, and the wireless BB is not reliable enough. Outside of the major urban centres this is a big problem for hundreds of thousands of people.

It lucky then that all three home games are on RTE and all 3 Ireland pool games are on Channel 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It lucky then that all three home games are on RTE and all 3 Ireland pool games are on Channel 4.

Yes, lucky this time, because of a pre-existing deal with those broadcasters. What happens the next time broadcast rights are up for auction? I'm not saying games should be free to air. I'm saying games should be on a TV channel so that people can actually watch them. For a huge number of people, that simply is not possible through streaming-only platforms, regardless of cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/09/11/tv-rights-confirmed-for-autumn-nations-cup/?fbclid=IwAR07DvvIj-vuNcIQZg5rPlcTfYamoIIVXgSqhpmit6-lI2pgOjHdEPoWf-A
    So all Ireland games will be on RTE and Channel 4. Prime will have every match apart from our opening game against Wales and game against Georgia

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/09/11/tv-rights-confirmed-for-autumn-nations-cup/?fbclid=IwAR07DvvIj-vuNcIQZg5rPlcTfYamoIIVXgSqhpmit6-lI2pgOjHdEPoWf-A
    So all Ireland games will be on RTE and Channel 4. Prime will have every match apart from our opening game against Wales and game against Georgia

Win-win all round.

Everyone gets to see the Ireland games and the others are available at a small enough cost.

If Amazon charged something like 2 euro per game and you could pick whichever you wanted. I'd be all over that. They'd make loads of money off me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Here’s the announcement.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/09/11/tv-rights-confirmed-for-autumn-nations-cup/

Not clear that Prime Video’s coverage will be available in Ireland at all. It specially states “Prime Video in the U.K.” That may be the reason why the England v Ireland game will be available to RTE and Channel 4 - it wouldn’t have formed part of the pre-existing deal. Presumably there’s is an arrangement for Amazon to sub license this game back to the IRFU rights holders in order to ensure there is coverage of this game available to Irish viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

icdg wrote: »
    Here’s the announcement.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/09/11/tv-rights-confirmed-for-autumn-nations-cup/

Not clear that Prime Video’s coverage will be available in Ireland at all. It specially states “Prime Video in the U.K.” That may be the reason why the England v Ireland game will be available to RTE and Channel 4 - it wouldn’t have formed part of the pre-existing deal. Presumably there’s is an arrangement for Amazon to sub license this game back to the IRFU rights holders in order to ensure there is coverage of this game available to Irish viewers.

Eir or Virgin here so if not Prime Video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have some student deal on Amazon so prime costs me like a fiver a month. Always top quality stream, works with loads of devices. What a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Zzippy wrote: »

You'll need to stay of MBs too as Amazon Prime broadcast some Premier League matches last season and while the coverage was pretty good, there was a bit of a lag.

I've thought for a while that this is the way forward. If 10 million people round the world signed up to a Rugby Netflix and paid a tenner a month you'd make €1.2bn a year in TV rights.

It would be interesting to know the total annual TV income for all professional rugby tournaments in the world. Would it be more than €1bn?

Is 10 million realistic? If you add together UK, Ireland, France, rest of Europe, NZ, SA, Australia etc. It might be optimistic I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Definitely looks like just prime UK, so we're still waiting to see how we can watch the other games as far as I can see? Beyond sick of trying to figure out how to watch everything. I'd happily pay 30 a month for bilston's idea above but never going to happen unfortunately.

*Edit if it's Eir I won't be posting for a while as I will Fu(k my laptop at the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If Amazon charged something like 2 euro per game and you could pick whichever you wanted. I'd be all over that. They'd make loads of money off me.

Me and the lads spoke about this over a few pints during simpler times.

What would we be willing to pay per view?

We mused about a sliding scale depending on the game with domestic league games coming in at 2 euro each with knock outs being 5 etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Then watch RTE on Saorview or Saorsat or Sky or watch C4 coverage on Freesat. Plenty of alternatives.

Don't have an aerial, for some reason was removed from my house before I bought it.

Besides the point anyway, they have invested loads into RTE player and it is not fit for purpose. I can get a free stream that works perfectly and it's probably run by some fella from his bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The IRFU see the three homes games as this years Guinness Series, so the TV contracts with RTE and Channel 4 are already in place.

I wonder is that why Ireland ended up in a comparatively tougher group? Maybe RTE/C4 were willing to allow these games be seen as a direct replacement for the big Southern hemisphere opposition. And not look for any compensation.

Whereas if we'd be in France's position, home games against Fiji and one of Scotland/Italy in the group stage may have been considered inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I wonder is that why Ireland ended up in a comparatively tougher group? Maybe RTE/C4 were willing to allow these games be seen as a direct replacement for the big Southern hemisphere opposition. And not look for any compensation.

Whereas if we'd be in France's position, home games against Fiji and one of Scotland/Italy in the group stage may have been considered inferior.

Think that's more to do with the fact we're already playing France and Italy a few weeks before this tournement begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I may be totally wrong here but fact that RTE/Ch4 have live rights to Ireland games suggests that Amazon Prime deal may be UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Welsh games going to be free to air on S4C

• Advertisement
Advertisement