Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunnes VALUE phones offer switching to Vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

TheDriver wrote: »
    it was the a20e, they said they'd be in in a few days.

Checked in my local store and the a20e is in stock so they are available in places. Still need a voucher though so if anyone has any available I can send self addressed envelope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

foxirl wrote: »
    Checked in my local store and the a20e is in stock so they are available in places. Still need a voucher though so if anyone has any available I can send self addressed envelope
    I have one if you want.I sent you PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks, just unfortunate coincidence.

todolist wrote: »
    I have one if you want.I sent you PM.

Thank you so much Todolist. You are a star. Just replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Thank you so much Todolist. You are a star. Just replied.

Grand.I'll stick it in the post tomorrow. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dezzo

Hi if anyone has a spare voucher would really appreciate it.thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone has a spare voucher I'd appreciate it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Is the a20e worth the extra money over the Vodafone phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Anyone get the samsungs and can they confirm they are unlocked ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

todolist wrote: »
    If you were a new customer could you use the voucher? Want to get a first phone for my son starting
    secondary school next week.

Yes just buy a Tesco/other sim and put it in an unlocked phone to claim the offer. They will ring or text the number to confirm it is yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

If anyone has a spare voucher I'd really appreciate it. Current phone keeps overheating :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Is the a20e worth the extra money over the Vodafone phone?

A quick side by side comparison is the following:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9580&idPhone2=9661&idPhone3=9725#diff-

All are very new models,
    the Voda N10 & Galaxy A10 are both 2gb RAM; once you start putting on 15 of the most common apps for social media, shopping, news, entertainment it would start eating into that. If you're not a heavy app user 2gb RAM should be fine.

The A10 is the slimmest but is substantially the largest screen size & weight. For some people it could be cumbersome to hold in one hand & flick through or carry in a pocket or handbag.
    (alternatively for someone wanting to use it as their main browsing/viewing/gaming device the large screen could be a real plus)

Just my experience & opinion:
    A10: I know people with the A10 & they love it. Cant find a fault.
    N10: For a VERY cheap spare "usable" phone to keep in a drawer for future use if you need to fill a gap for a while, its a great offer.
    A20e: Personally I'll be going with that; it's a great price (reduced by around €100), has 3gb ram. Is very light (that can be a negative too), has a corner to corner screen, good size battery & has the fast charger option which is around 5 times faster. Note it uses a USB-C type connector but adaptors are very cheap on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Anyone knows if the A20 is unlocked to any network ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

You can get a free one in the post from Eir I think or can buy one in Tesco for something like €2.50.

Tesco SIMs are free with 15e top up but for the SIM alone they also charge 15e (it's gone up from 5 to 7.50 to 10 over the last couple of years, now it's 15).

So might as well get the top up with the SIM and give the top up to someone with Tesco.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Tesco SIMs are free with 15e top up but for the SIM alone they also charge 15e (it's gone up from 5 to 7.50 to 10 over the last couple of years, now it's 15).

So might as well get the top up with the SIM and give the top up to someone with Tesco.

Or order a 48 SIM online for free.

• Advertisement

Or get one in eir shop using some excuse why u need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭keizer

Got the Samsung A10 today. It appears to be dual-sim but it is network locked.

keizer wrote: »

Did you get credit in seperate sheet to take away

Balls...was planning to get one...how easy it is to get it unlocked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Balls...was planning to get one...how easy it is to get it unlocked ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Samsung+A10+unlock+code&_sacat=0

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Is the N10 unlocked?

I assume Vodafone UK and irl would have same unlock mechanism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I assume Vodafone UK and irl would have same unlock mechanism

AFAIK codes are different for UK VF and IRL VF. Any eBay ad would need to specify IRL networks to be certain.

Of course a request to the ebay seller would clarify.

IIRC the Vodafone IRL Smart Prime 6 was almost impossible to unlock whilst the UK version unlock code was just a few quid on eBay.

Likewise UK VF SIMs won't work in locked IRL VF and vice versa. Ditto for Three and Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

A quick side by side comparison is the following:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9580&idPhone2=9661&idPhone3=9725#diff-

All are very new models,
    the Voda N10 & Galaxy A10 are both 2gb RAM; once you start putting on 15 of the most common apps for social media, shopping, news, entertainment it would start eating into that. If you're not a heavy app user 2gb RAM should be fine.

The A10 is the slimmest but is substantially the largest screen size & weight. For some people it could be cumbersome to hold in one hand & flick through or carry in a pocket or handbag.
    (alternatively for someone wanting to use it as their main browsing/viewing/gaming device the large screen could be a real plus)

Just my experience & opinion:
    A10: I know people with the A10 & they love it. Cant find a fault.
    N10: For a VERY cheap spare "usable" phone to keep in a drawer for future use if you need to fill a gap for a while, its a great offer.
    A20e: Personally I'll be going with that; it's a great price (reduced by around €100), has 3gb ram. Is very light (that can be a negative too), has a corner to corner screen, good size battery & has the fast charger option which is around 5 times faster. Note it uses a USB-C type connector but adaptors are very cheap on ebay.

They use to be very expensive the usb type c cable but dealz now do them for 1.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

physioman wrote: »
    They use to be very expensive the usb type c cable but dealz now do them for 1.50

I'd be wary at that price. Are those cables safe?

Not being alarmist. I'm just trying to save you from maybe damaging your devices.
    There have been a lot of USB C cables (and chargers) that were wrongly made, didn't comply properly with the USB C standard. These can wreck your device, or even potentially cause a fire.

A Googler called Benson Leung did a lot of research ad testing on this stuff a few years ago after damaging some of his own equipment inadvertently.
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/03/benson-leung-chromebook-pixel-usb-type-c-test/

I know this was a while back, but I have more recently seen an article critical of some relatively big names selling a lot of stuff on Amazon, like Ravpower for example, saying they still aren't fully compliant in some way. I tried to find that article again but it was about 2 months ago and lost in my browser history, sorry. But the point is that you still need to be careful with USB C cables.

Did you get credit in seperate sheet to take away

He said he had to top up the sim there and then, I never actually checked if he did or not.

He said he had to top up the sim there and then, I never actually checked if he did or not.

Interestingly the terms say you must purchase €20 credit but not necessarily to topup the sim that you just ported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭Jeff2

If you get it I think best to topup €5 once transferred and txt the number for the Internet monthly contract you want before topping it up by the €20.

If you top up €20 and send the txt then it will likely come up after txt that it will kick in on your next top up of €20.

Interestingly the terms say you must purchase €20 credit but not necessarily to topup the sim that you just ported.

thats true...i got a separate code and used it for misses on her number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

duridian wrote: »
    I'd be wary at that price. Are those cables safe?

Not being alarmist. I'm just trying to save you from maybe damaging your devices.
    There have been a lot of USB C cables (and chargers) that were wrongly made, didn't comply properly with the USB C standard. These can wreck your device, or even potentially cause a fire.

A Googler called Benson Leung did a lot of research ad testing on this stuff a few years ago after damaging some of his own equipment inadvertently.
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/03/benson-leung-chromebook-pixel-usb-type-c-test/

I know this was a while back, but I have more recently seen an article critical of some relatively big names selling a lot of stuff on Amazon, like Ravpower for example, saying they still aren't fully compliant in some way. I tried to find that article again but it was about 2 months ago and lost in my browser history, sorry. But the point is that you still need to be careful with USB C cables.

Been using the one in dealz the last 3 weeks and it's been fine.

anyone manage to get a cheap unlock code for the samsungs? Vodafone UK ones are cheap on ebay but irish ones seem expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

anyone manage to get a cheap unlock code for the samsungs? Vodafone UK ones are cheap on ebay but irish ones seem expensive.

Are they deffo locked then?

Thanks. Its expensive enough compared to the vodafone uk offers on ebay. I asked one seller but they can't do vodafone irl.

Thanks. Its expensive enough compared to the vodafone uk offers on ebay. I asked one seller but they can't do vodafone irl.

You can't win all the time ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Can anyone spare the voucher if s/he is not using it? I would be glad to pay for the postage. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

Would appreciate a voucher if someone has one free. I'll cover postage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Can anyone confirm if the Vodafone N10 or Samsung A10 is unlocked?

• Advertisement

Picked up a20e, it is locked and I had to put the 20 onto the vodafone SIM which is going in the bin. It is dual SIM.
    Having said that, 100 quid for a a20e unlocked is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Also looking for a voucher if anyone has a spare one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Picked up a20e, it is locked and I had to put the 20 onto the vodafone SIM which is going in the bin. It is dual SIM.

Stupid question, but if its dual sim how is it locked? Are they expecting you to run two Vodafone sims in it?

I tried my sim in both slots but network locked both times. Unlocked now.

Did they make you put it on the phone. When I got mine today they just gave me the credit. So if I wish I can give that to someone on Vodafone.

Also don't just bin it if it's on the SIM. Pick a charity that you can donate by text and use up the credit that way

Did they make you put it on the phone. When I got mine today they just gave me the credit. So if I wish I can give that to someone on Vodafone.

Also don't just bin it if it's on the SIM. Pick a charity that you can donate by text and use up the credit that way

Neither, he put it on the number and activated a plan so effectively its gone (already have all the freebie stuff on my own eir plan). He said he had to do it as Vodafone put the rule in place this year to stop those who buy the phone to use on other networks....

• Advertisement

I tried my sim in both slots but network locked both times. Unlocked now.

How much to unlock ?

How much to unlock ?

I paid 9.95 stg from ebay. Came through in 4 hours.

I paid 9.95 stg from ebay. Came through in 4 hours.

Excellent and it was for both sims right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

What’s the cheapest way to get a new sim from another provider to port in?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

caycro wrote: »
    What’s the cheapest way to get a new sim from another provider to port in?

apply for an Eir sim online for free. it takes around 4 working days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement