Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11am Minutes silence - RTE doesn't bother..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

everlast75 wrote: »
    Hmm.. maybe at 6pm on RTE1?

Totally unrelated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Who is watching people at 11am? Not even people on the dole are up at that time :pac:

Now time to make my escape. RTE have a moment of reflection every day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Moment's silence was observed on News Now. Ball still in hand, touch down!

hmm wasnt on my news now! maybe i missed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    hmm wasnt on my news now! maybe i missed it!

When did you flick?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm not sure if you are directing that at me. My reaction to the OP is far from faux, I can assure you.

No, it was at the OP.

• Advertisement

Gaygooner wrote: »
    When did you flick?

11. looks like rte may have err emm timing issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

OP, if you really gave a shyte, you should have just paused and reflected yourself, you obviously knew what the time was, there will be endless news footage of folk standing around in silence for the rest of the day.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id have to agree with the op here. i quickly changed channel. think somebody dropped the ball there

Changing channel during the minutes silence!!! Well!

Trinity are doing there's at 1pm... The old time difference must have confused them..

Gaygooner wrote: »
    Changing channel during the minutes silence!!! Well!

timing blah blah blah. moving on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Maybe RTÉ are going to do the beloved Angelus today without the 'bongs'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The attacks are horrible obviously, but the faux-solidarity that gets whipped up every time something like this happens, is fúcking annoying and cringe-worthy.

The 'Je Suis Charlie' bollocks in particular - it's not like any of the French politicians back then, really gave a toss about freedom of speech, given the countries censorship laws:
    www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-it-means-to-stand-with-charlie-hebdo/2015/01/08/ab416214-96e8-11e4-aabd-d0b93ff613d5_story.html

It's starting to look like an attempt to drum up a kind of semi-'patriotic' fervour, emulating the US, so that this can be exploited in order to push for even more war in the ME - politicians hijacking public sympathy, to try and drum up support for their own agenda's.

How about we have a bit more sympathy/solidarity, for the people that get attacked/murdered by EU countries (thus causing people from that region, to want to retaliate, with attacks like in Paris...) - and stop letting public sympathy be hijacked in such a cynical way, when the inevitable (retaliation) happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Today fm had a minutes silence on the radio, except it wasnt very silent as it sounded like the news reader just put the mike on the desk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jaysus OP you took a right beating on this one!

There's already an entire thread on the tragedy, and there's an entire television forum to complain about a news channel if you so wish. There is no need for a whole thread in After Hours over this.

You would think that these atrocities would remind folk not to get upset over trivial things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement