Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11am Minutes silence - RTE doesn't bother..

• 16-11-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Shame on them,
    I just scanned through all the TV channels, TV3, Sky, BBC, CH4, ... All observing a minuites silence remembering the victims of the Paris shooting.

RTE? - Dr. Phil & some kids cartoon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

RTE News Now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So you scanned through all the channels in order to find out who you should be outraged by?

Definition of someone looking to find offence here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

We interrupt Dora The Explorer for a minute's silence for the slaughtered victims of Paris.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

they probably just want to make us feel like they deserve those 160 euro of racket money we have to pay them to give us the unwatchable programme full of overpaid have-beens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You probably missed RTE's while scanning the other channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Also Dam you MTV , irish TV, Setanta and the Disney Channel....

Dam you all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

So you honoured the victims by flicking through tv channels well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think they did the right thing.
    Are we going to hold minute's silences everytime there is a terrorist bombing?
    If so, there would be one every day, as there is nearly daily suicide bombings on some part of the world (unless of course we only have them for white Western countries).

RTE News Now would have acknowledged the minutes silence, outrage over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Are you not capable of marking your own moment of reflection without a TV channel telling you to do so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Babestation didn't observe either. Would have expected better from the babes.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If so, there would be one every day, as there is nearly daily suicide bombings on some part of the world (unless of course we only have them for white Western countries).

What's with this chestnut of "white Western countries", there were victims of multiple race and nationality, just like there was at the London bombings and the Paris shootings earlier in this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No minute's silence for the Russians murdered in the plane bombing a couple of weeks ago, no minute's silence for the bomb victims in Beirut, no minute's silence when the US bombs an Afghan wedding, no minute's silence for the victims in Paris.

Fair play to RTÉ for their consistency and not having a hierarchy of victims unlike most morons in social media.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    What's with this chestnut of "white Western countries", there were victims of multiple race and nationality, just like there was at the London bombings.

Then why not acknowledge all the other deaths throughout the world?
    Why all the sadness and social media OTTness for Paris, New York, London only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Man on dole, vents anger through internet forum shocker.

Babestation didn't observe either. Would have expected better from the babes.

I thought they didn't take calls for the minute??? Nicki was giving sombre face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't say if any tv or radio stations were observing the minute's silence, as I had all turned off so I could have a minute's silence myself.

OP, just another bluster of indignity without doing anything yourself?

I can't say if any tv or radio stations were observing the minute's silence, as I had all turned off so I could have a minute's silence myself.

OP, just another bluster of indignity without doing anything yourself?

Faux outrage.

Nothing quite like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

OP must regret making this post big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hmm.. maybe at 6pm on RTE1?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Shame on them,
    I just scanned through all the TV channels, TV3, Sky, BBC, CH4, ... All observing a minuites silence remembering the victims of the Paris shooting.

RTE? - Dr. Phil & some kids cartoon.

RTE News Now did it.

It's not their fault you don't know about all their stations.

Also - if you were so intent on other people observing the minute's silence why did you spend it flicking around all the channels?

Seems very disrespectful to me.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    RTE News Now did it.

It's not their fault you don't know about all their stations.

Still think the kiddies station should have had a minutes silence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Gaygooner wrote: »
    I thought they didn't take calls for the minute??? Nicki was giving sombre face

That sombre face was from her butt plug .

Then why not acknowledge all the other deaths throughout the world?
    Why all the sadness and social media OTTness for Paris, New York, London only?

Social media being social media, people will do anything to join in like they did from changing profile pictures to cartoon characters to stop child abuse to the Kony 2012 nonsense.

I wouldn't even waste my time passing heed in the yo-yoing social media does when these events happen, I'm seeing everything from sympathy to outright racist rants about refugees and Muslims. I personally don't join in on any of that shít.

Still think the kiddies station should have had a minutes silence...

With a full explanation that bad men are trying to kill them and they may die at any moment so they should enjoy life while they still can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id have to agree with the op here. i quickly changed channel. think somebody dropped the ball there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Maybe it was the typical Irish attitude towards being on time.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id have to agree with the op here. i quickly changed channel. think somebody dropped the ball there

Moment's silence was observed on News Now. Ball still in hand, touch down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Faux outrage.

Nothing quite like it.

I'm not sure if you are directing that at me. My reaction to the OP is far from faux, I can assure you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Maybe it was the typical Irish attitude towards being on time.

Fair point. Knowing RTE the minute's silence was probably pushed back by earlier ad breaks and actually happened at 11.03

everlast75 wrote: »
    Hmm.. maybe at 6pm on RTE1?

Totally unrelated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Who is watching people at 11am? Not even people on the dole are up at that time :pac:

Now time to make my escape. RTE have a moment of reflection every day anyway.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Moment's silence was observed on News Now. Ball still in hand, touch down!

hmm wasnt on my news now! maybe i missed it!

hmm wasnt on my news now! maybe i missed it!

When did you flick?

I'm not sure if you are directing that at me. My reaction to the OP is far from faux, I can assure you.

No, it was at the OP.

• Advertisement

When did you flick?

11. looks like rte may have err emm timing issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

OP, if you really gave a shyte, you should have just paused and reflected yourself, you obviously knew what the time was, there will be endless news footage of folk standing around in silence for the rest of the day.

Changing channel during the minutes silence!!! Well!

Trinity are doing there's at 1pm... The old time difference must have confused them..

Changing channel during the minutes silence!!! Well!

timing blah blah blah. moving on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Maybe RTÉ are going to do the beloved Angelus today without the 'bongs'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The attacks are horrible obviously, but the faux-solidarity that gets whipped up every time something like this happens, is fúcking annoying and cringe-worthy.

The 'Je Suis Charlie' bollocks in particular - it's not like any of the French politicians back then, really gave a toss about freedom of speech, given the countries censorship laws:
    www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-it-means-to-stand-with-charlie-hebdo/2015/01/08/ab416214-96e8-11e4-aabd-d0b93ff613d5_story.html

It's starting to look like an attempt to drum up a kind of semi-'patriotic' fervour, emulating the US, so that this can be exploited in order to push for even more war in the ME - politicians hijacking public sympathy, to try and drum up support for their own agenda's.

How about we have a bit more sympathy/solidarity, for the people that get attacked/murdered by EU countries (thus causing people from that region, to want to retaliate, with attacks like in Paris...) - and stop letting public sympathy be hijacked in such a cynical way, when the inevitable (retaliation) happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Today fm had a minutes silence on the radio, except it wasnt very silent as it sounded like the news reader just put the mike on the desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jaysus OP you took a right beating on this one!

There's already an entire thread on the tragedy, and there's an entire television forum to complain about a news channel if you so wish. There is no need for a whole thread in After Hours over this.

You would think that these atrocities would remind folk not to get upset over trivial things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement