Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe repair and shoe shine Dublin 2?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭

Folks

Quick one, where in dublin 2 is the best place to get shoes resoled, and also shoes polished. I have started to buy more expensive shoes as i believe cheaper ones are a false economy long term so im buying the likes of loakes, barkers, patrick cox etc from now on.

Ive used the italian heel bar and they seem good for heeling and covering leather soles with rubber but they dont polish and are reasonably expensive too.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

There's a place at the top of Tara Street, I think it's called Tara Leather, that is great for new soles. I know they sell shoe polish but I've no idea if they'll polish them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's a shoe repair place towards the end of Georges St, before it meets Dame St - Not sure if the do shining, but no harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The best place that I've ever used for repairs is C& D Shoes though Gavin in Marlowe Dry Cleaners on Sth Great George's Street is good too.

Most places have machines to buff your shoes but the absolutely best way is to learn to do it yourself. It only costs you a few soft cloths and brushes, polish, and some elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

Cyrus wrote: »
    Folks

I have started to buy more expensive shoes as i believe cheaper ones are a false economy long term so im buying the likes of loakes, barkers, patrick cox etc from now on.

I've come to the same conclusion myself; it goes double for 'comfortable' shoes; soft soles are just that, soft!

many of the old style brands have a complete resole and refurb service. Allen-Edmonds (in the US aren't so well known as it's English counterparts) offer it for 99$; Barker also do.; they claim the shoe is as good as new after it as it's more than just a basic reheel.

Try HerringShoes.co.uk for a selection of leather soled shoes;

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭dingbat

The Italian Heel Bar isn't cheap but they do a good job; in the long term the latter is more worthwhile.

Echo the previous poster's point about learning to polish shoes yourself. Decent polish (Kiwi), a couple of horsehair brushes, some leather conditioner, a buffing rag/sheepskin and much elbow grease. Well worthwhile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement