Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqt34fr1VBA

Whatever else, Madigan is disarmingly, likably honest.

Think we'll get tanked on Sunday. Amongst other things, Madigan is pretty unguarded about the difficulty, with this massively disrupted season, of getting in the right space mentally to compete in this other competition when your biggest game of the season was the previous one. We're not at the level we could hope to win the European cup unless there were astonishing results or circumstances. But the Pro14, IF WE'D CHOSEN TO KICK SOME POINTS, IAIN, was more within our reach. So this game, honestly, may be hard to get in gear for.

Still, it's the game of the weekend.

Aye, can't see us winning, but Id be surprised if Toulouse has as tight a defence as Leinster did, so we might get over the white wash a bit more. Depending on the weather it could be a good day running rugby..

I think Toulouse will win with a bit to spare...I'll randomly go with 41-23 or something like that. Ulster might even give us hope for about 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    It's the same in Leinster though...

Blackrock, St Michaels, Belvedere College, Clongowes etc etc

Up here we have Inst, Methody, Campbell, Ballymena Academy and Wallace etc.

Which are no longer allowed to be 'private' schools.

Here is an interesting tale about the brain drain from NI schools. Shortly after I arrived here in Scotland I needed a trip to A&E. The consultant I met was from Belfast and had previously worked in the Royal Victoria. Now this hospital was in a small provincial town in rural Northern Scotland. I didn't think much more about it until I had to see another doctor. This one had been to Methodist College, my old school. I then needed major surgery and while I was in the high dependency unit recovering a young doctor came to check on me. She was from County Tyrone and incredibly her mother and I had shared an office and lecturing duties. I then needed surgery on my left arm which involved avoiding a major nerve supply to my hand etc. The first doc who looked at me had been to Inst. The plastic surgery unit where I had the op had a very talented and widely respected consultant....from Ballymena. 2 other doctors I met in the unit were also from NI as were several nurses.
    My next door neighbour is a very, very senior figure in the offshore engineering industry. He studied engineering at Queens. Another guy in my little village also is a multi- qualified engineer who travels the world fixing big things. He also went to Queens. The Chief medical officer for Scotland is was another Methody ex pupil and she had to resign. Her replacement ...yep...another Queens graduate. Now bear in mind the remote location in which I now reside and extrapolate this into other professions and larger areas in the UK and the sheer scale of the intellectual pillaging of NI talent is on a huge scale. If so many people see a future away from NI and make these decisions about careers and life choices early it is also bound to have a major effect on sporting opportunities.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Which are no longer allowed to be 'private' schools.

True, but I'm not talking about schools being private or public, my point was more that they are big rugby schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Aye, can't see us winning, but Id be surprised if Toulouse has as tight a defence as Leinster did, so we might get over the white wash a bit more. Depending on the weather it could be a good day running rugby..

I think Toulouse will win with a bit to spare...I'll randomly go with 41-23 or something like that. Ulster might even give us hope for about 20 minutes.

Ulster to pick up a bp then?
    (That's my tongue in cheek humour)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster to pick up a bp then?
    (That's my tongue in cheek humour)

Only if Mike McComish comes out of retirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ion-Oa27hFM

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,428 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I had forgotten about Mike McComish. :D

A penalty machine.

awec wrote: »

A penalty machine.

The Terror of Toulon.

A penalty machine.

I wonder how many Ulster players we have all forgotten about over the years. Probably quite a few

The Matt Williams reign being a particular nadir...

Clinton Schifcofske, Cillian Willis, Paul Emerick..

We're doing OK at the minute...believe me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Its the hope that kills.....

From The Other Forum - Conor McMenamin, Lewis Finlay, Azur Alison, David McCann, Tom Stewart, Hayden Hyde and Ethan McIlroy all training with the senior side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I wonder how many Ulster players we have all forgotten about over the years. Probably quite a few

The Matt Williams reign being a particular nadir...

Clinton Schifcofske, Cillian Willis, Paul Emerick..

We're doing OK at the minute...believe me..

It always amazed me how lightweight our forward pack seemed to be.
    Guys like Diack, McComish, Wilson etc couldn't make a yard to save their lives. They literally were driven back in every single tackle, be that from a forward or back.

Who was the last nasty bàstard that ever lined out for Ulster? Neil Best?

When you think of the past...Paddy Johns, Jeremy Davidson, Willie Anderson, Ferris...all big men and well able to get stuck in. You'd hope there's one or two out there somewhere for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Had to google Paul Emerick. Couldn't honestly remember him. Short stint with Ulster.

From The Other Forum - Conor McMenamin, Lewis Finlay, Azur Alison, David McCann, Tom Stewart, Hayden Hyde and Ethan McIlroy all training with the senior side.

Presumably with the Pro 14/12 whatever it's called in mind and not Toulouse.

Good mix of backs and forwards there. McMenamin is an interesting name...second row?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Forgot about Hyde, didn't really impress me when I saw him for the A's but I keep reminding myself that he was only a couple months out of school. Was very handy for the u20's though against his peers, looked good in contact and knew when to give the offload and when to recycle. Played 12 for the u20's but mostly 13 for us I think, it'll be interesting to see where we prefer him.

Thought it might be a year too soon for Stewart, but the coaches disagree. If he gets game time, I honestly believe he could leapfrog McBurney without too much trouble.

Wonder if there's any particular reason Finlay is there and Doak isn't. Might just be an incomplete list.

Really surprised at McMenamin being there tbh, Irish u20 coaches didn't seem to rate him. Played 2nd row/backrow through age-grade but not sure he has the size for 2nd row professionally. Haven't seen him play in probably two years though, awful lot can change in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Presumably with the Pro 14/12 whatever it's called in mind and not Toulouse.

Good mix of backs and forwards there. McMenamin is an interesting name...second row?
    Yeah second row from Donegal. There's a programme on tg4 on now finishing at 10 part of a series from few years back that he's involved in.
    Forgot about Hyde, didn't really impress me when I saw him for the A's but I keep reminding myself that he was only a couple months out of school. Was very handy for the u20's though against his peers, looked good in contact and knew when to give the offload and when to recycle. Played 12 for the u20's but mostly 13 for us I think, it'll be interesting to see where we prefer him.

Thought it might be a year too soon for Stewart, but the coaches disagree. If he gets game time, I honestly believe he could leapfrog McBurney without too much trouble.

Wonder if there's any particular reason Finlay is there and Doak isn't. Might just be an incomplete list.

Really surprised at McMenamin being there tbh, Irish u20 coaches didn't seem to rate him. Played 2nd row/backrow through age-grade but not sure he has the size for 2nd row professionally. Haven't seen him play in probably two years though, awful lot can change in that time.
    Wouldnt think too much about why Doak isnt involved there yet

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

RedRaider0 wrote: »
    Ulster u18 schools side are generally very competitive with leinster u18 schools.

I agree with this. I have watched this game for last 3 years. Three stupid mistakes cost three tries last year (2002). Crothers wasn't allowed to play for u18 and Posletwaite (should have got an academy contract) was away at sevens last year and missed this game. Not to mention over half the starting team last year was a year young inc both second rows and the half backs. Was a lot closer than scoreboard suggested. Year before (2001) was v close and year before (2000) Ulster won.

My own view is there should be more players in the academy and they should play more games.

Think someone above is underestimating Carson btw. Mccormick good enough as well.

Had to google Paul Emerick. Couldn't honestly remember him. Short stint with Ulster.

Put in a pretty dirty hit in an interpro - McLaughlin never picked him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RedRaider0

I agree with this. I have watched this game for last 3 years. Three stupid mistakes cost three tries last year (2002). Crothers wasn't allowed to play for u18 and Posletwaite (should have got an academy contract) was away at sevens last year and missed this game. Not to mention over half the starting team last year was a year young inc both second rows and the half backs. Was a lot closer than scoreboard suggested. Year before (2001) was v close and year before (2000) Ulster won.

My own view is there should be more players in the academy and they should play more games.

Think someone above is underestimating Carson btw. Mccormick good enough as well.

Exactly the gap isn't huge at u18 level, it's translating that upwards.

any indications on academy additions?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

RedRaider0 wrote: »
    Exactly the gap isn't huge at u18 level, it's translating that upwards.

any indications on academy additions?

Postlewaite is a possibility from what I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RedRaider0

Postlewaite is a possibility from what I hear.

i thought he might.. along with McMenamin given the latter is training with the seniors.

• Advertisement

I see Trevor Brennan's having a good aul' moan in the Independent.

'I was wrong to hit him... but did I deserve a lifetime ban?'

Yes. Yes you did, Trev. Anything else you need clarification on, just let us know.

Going to say it now, the Leinster rejects have not improved Ulster in any meaningful way.

McGrath and Murphy two of our worst players today. This signing policy has been a massive failure.

Carter is absolute muck. Faddes is a journeyman.

This squad will win nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Going to say it now, the Leinster rejects have not improved Ulster in any meaningful way.

McGrath and Murphy two of our worst players today. This signing policy has been a massive failure.

In desperate need of a decent 10. Lowry is class with ball in hand but as soon as he gets into contact it's completely negated. Had hopes for Burns when he signed but I think it's clear now he's not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I see Trevor Brennan's having a good aul' moan in the Independent.

'I was wrong to hit him... but did I deserve a lifetime ban?'

Yes. Yes you did, Trev. Anything else you need clarification on, just let us know.

A lifetime ban is pointless to me but he really doesn't deserve sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Cooney is the only player to come in and improve Ulster. Would much rather Ulster brought in an academy player who may be less experienced but give it their all than do what Ulster have done with the likes of Murphy and McGrath. The players Ulster bring in are just safe picks, they would screw up significantly but will never give you that edge you need in games like this where Ulster need to do everything right, butchering that 4-2 in the first half summed it up.

Short memory awec if you think Ulster haven't improved. Two years ago we were called a "basket case" for a reason.

But I agree we will win nothing as those guys won't take us to the next level.

But I'd rather be where we are now than where we where 2 or 3 years ago.

Short memory awec if you think Ulster haven't improved. Two years ago we were called a "basket case" for a reason.

But I agree we will win nothing as those guys won't take us to the next level.

But I'd rather be where we are now than where we where 2 or 3 years ago.
    I said meaningful improvement bilston.

We’re not a joke, but we’re still miles off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

This keep in mind how Murphy has helped over the past season. Not to mention that he has played almost every minute in a back row over 4 knockout games, including a HIA?

McGrath on the other hand is up and down.

I’m all for promoting from academy, but if there’s no one there, there’s no ones there. There is no point putting some 20 year old in to sink and get injured.

Perspective is needed with our budget and resources l, Ulster are where they are.

I said meaningful improvement bilston.

We’re not a joke, but we’re still miles off the pace.

I'd say there has been meaningful improvement.

Whether thats down to the former Leinster players I'm not sure.

McFarland has played a role, the emergence of the likes of O'Toole, O'Sullivan, Hume, Lowry, Lyttle and Balacoune has played a part.

Cooney has been good, Murphy has generally been good, I'd say that when fit Marty Moore is a big asset.

Not sure about Jack McGrath and its too early to judge Madigan.

Faddes and Carter have been underwhelming signings, although I'd give Carter a run of games before judging too harshly.

We will see how next season goes, hopefully we will see two or three Academy players make the step up, at least we don't have long to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

launish116 wrote: »
    This keep in mind how Murphy has helped over the past season. Not to mention that he has played almost every minute in a back row over 4 knockout games, including a HIA?

McGrath on the other hand is up and down.

I’m all for promoting from academy, but if there’s no one there, there’s no ones there. There is no point putting some 20 year old in to sink and get injured.

Perspective is needed with our budget and resources l, Ulster are where they are.

There are players there though, that’s another big difference between Ulster/Munster and Leinster. Flannery,Healy,Ahern,Hodnett etc for Munster I’m not as familiar with Ulster but definitely someone like McCann,Allison,Rea etc would be looked at but instead of that the two rather be safe and settle on guys like Haley,Holland,Hanrahan,Cloete/O’Donnell and just happily take their inevitable beat down in a SF against a team much happier at using the resources at their disposal. You could see today Ulster had given up before a ball was kicked, they knew they did have a chance and played accordingly. It may be good enough to get you to the QF and in Munsters case possibly a semi but when you play a Racing, Saracens etc you’re safety first selections will be found out by sides willing to take more risks. Nothing will change as long as these teams settle journeymen not good enough or just the same safe selections just because they have done it in the past attitude. You’ll see come the CC in November Munster and Ulster will play the same journeymen, nothing will be learnt and we will be having the same discussion at the same stage next season if not sooner.

Advertisement