Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair not taking dye in areas.

Options
  • 14-09-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not sure how I explain this properly but patches of my hair wont take dye. It looks grand from the front but as you go around the back its gets shades lighter - kinda like an ombre going across my hair!!
    I usually dye it myself at home & have done for years. A few months back I noticed this happen & thought that I had just missed a bit, I dyed it yesterday & it has gotten worse. I've attached a picture showing the colour difference.

Im going to give my hair a break & leave it for a few weeks before going to a salon.
    Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening?
    Will I have the same problem in the salon & is there any treatment / shampoo I should be using in preparation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Couldn't attach pic to opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,346 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Are you colouring over highlights? It looks like your hair is lighter underneath.

No, same colour all over...

Its strange if the hair wasn't highlighted/bleached previously, is it a permanent colour or a crazy colour ?Lovely colour btw.

Hi all,

I'm not sure how I explain this properly but patches of my hair wont take dye. It looks grand from the front but as you go around the back its gets shades lighter - kinda like an ombre going across my hair!!
    I usually dye it myself at home & have done for years. A few months back I noticed this happen & thought that I had just missed a bit, I dyed it yesterday & it has gotten worse. I've attached a picture showing the colour difference.

Im going to give my hair a break & leave it for a few weeks before going to a salon.
    Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening?
    Will I have the same problem in the salon & is there any treatment / shampoo I should be using in preparation?

Are you putting the colour on yourself? I always miss a bit so now I get my OH to do it for me. He’s a dab hand at the job now!

• Advertisement

Its strange if the hair wasn't highlighted/bleached previously, is it a permanent colour or a crazy colour ?Lovely colour btw.

It's l'oreal colorista... I usually use that or schwarzkopf live in a similar colour.
    I had my hair that mad bright red about 5 years ago, It was pre-bleached back then but that hair has long grown out.
    Are you putting the colour on yourself? I always miss a bit so now I get my OH to do it for me. He’s a dab hand at the job now!

Most of the time I do it myself.
    Last time I did it, when I dried my hair it was lighter around the back. I left it a week or so & got my sister to do it for me, focusing on the back & just on the front for a few min - kinda like the way they reccommend doing root touch up. It was still lighter around the back.
    This time I did it myself, I made sure that I got every strand of hair but it seems to be more faded.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Most of the time I do it myself.
    Last time I did it, when I dried my hair it was lighter around the back. I left it a week or so & got my sister to do it for me, focusing on the back & just on the front for a few min - kinda like the way they reccommend doing root touch up. It was still lighter around the back.
    This time I did it myself, I made sure that I got every strand of hair but it seems to be more faded.[/quote]

It’s definitely time to visit a salon. Over time your hair can become porous and colour will look like it’s taken but once rinsed and dried it’s faded.
    Check out salons close to you and check pics of their work. Pop in for a consultation.
    Home care is a definite must but the salon will advise on the best for your hair.

Dee5 wrote: »

It’s definitely time to visit a salon. Over time your hair can become porous and colour will look like it’s taken but once rinsed and dried it’s faded.
    Check out salons close to you and check pics of their work. Pop in for a consultation.
    Home care is a definite must but the salon will advise on the best for your hair.

Thanks! I'm going to book in to get it done payday week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Sorry, I can’t see your pic.

Make sure they do an incompatibility test first if it’s XXL that you’ve been using as I know it used to contain metallic salts and that doesn’t mix well with pro colours.

This is someone who used XXL then tried to colour it with something else.

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    Sorry, I can’t see your pic.

Make sure they do an incompatibility test first if it’s XXL that you’ve been using as I know it used to contain metallic salts and that doesn’t mix well with pro colours.

This is someone who used XXL then tried to colour it with something else.

That is very helpful information!

I used XXL for a while, then the last time I tried the new l'oreal colorista permanent gel red.
    The colorista took to the front ok but around the back of the head gradually fades, not quite as extreme as your picture but no far off!
    To be honest, if my hair had of turned out the same shade all over I probably would have just used revlon colour bombs for a few months to give my hair a break but the difference from the front to the back is too different to try cover up.

I'm booked in to get it done towards the end of next week.
    I had a chat with them & asked what I can do in preparation, they told me to wash my hair using head & shoulders or fairy liquid & to use a mask.
    I also read on line that rinsing my hair with apple cider vinegar can help too so I've alternated that with the masks.
    I've learned my lesson & will be staying away from the home dyes from now on... It's costing me a fair few bob to sort, which I don't mind, I'm just hoping that the colour will take ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

That is very helpful information!

I used XXL for a while, then the last time I tried the new l'oreal colorista permanent gel red.
    The colorista took to the front ok but around the back of the head gradually fades, not quite as extreme as your picture but no far off!
    To be honest, if my hair had of turned out the same shade all over I probably would have just used revlon colour bombs for a few months to give my hair a break but the difference from the front to the back is too different to try cover up.

I'm booked in to get it done towards the end of next week.
    I had a chat with them & asked what I can do in preparation, they told me to wash my hair using head & shoulders or fairy liquid & to use a mask.

Have you just gone t o one salon to have a consultation? Pop into a few different ones using different colour brands and see how you get on. I'd use a reconstruction shampoo and conditioner as opposed to head and shoulders and fairy liquid!!
    Feel free if you have any more questions. Just please dont use fairy on your hair

Have you just gone t o one salon to have a consultation? Pop into a few different ones using different colour brands and see how you get on. I'd use a reconstruction shampoo and conditioner as opposed to head and shoulders and fairy liquid!!
    Feel free if you have any more questions. Just please dont use fairy on your hair

Just the one salon, but the person I'm booked in with came very highly recommended by a couple of people.
    The head & shoulders recommendation was only for one or two washes, there was such a difference between the front & back of my hair I asked what I could do to try wash out some of the stronger colour out. She told me to make sure I use a mask after...
    I picked up osmo colour save sulphate free shampoo & conditioner & I'm already working on reducing the frequency of washing my hair (I used to wash my hair every 2-3 days) My hair feels so much better already...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Oh dear, I fear this is too late but I’d avoid any salon that advised using washing up detergent to cleanse your hair. That is so outdated and unprofessional, it stinks.

Visit some more salons and see what advise they offer. Anyone that doesn’t check what box dye brands you’ve been using and doesn’t offer to patch test you and do some strand tests is not a great colourist.

I forgot to update!

The girl I went to did a great job... My hair colour is lovely & even, it's been two week & there is no sign of fading in the areas where I was having trouble. She asked a pile of questions & did tests... I'm very happy with the results

Advertisement