Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa to become a nurse

Options
  • 05-09-2019 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A Burmese friend of mine lives in Bangkok. She is fluent in English (having worked for years as a medical translator in a top private hospital in Bangkok) and has a nursing degree from a Thai university but is in a sticky position because the Thai authorities will not grant a Burmese national a Thai nursing license and the Burmese nursing authorities won't recognise her Thai nursing degree for the purposes of granting her a Burmese nursing license.

As a result she is stuck doing medical admin whereas all she really wants to do is be a nurse.

She is a very smart, determined and hard working person who deserves a break.

She has been saving up for a few years to have enough money to do an international conversion course which would partly recognise her Thai nursing degree and allow her on completion of the conversion course to gain a local nursing license.

She was looking at trying to do that in Australia but hasn't had any luck so reached out to me to see if Ireland would be an option and if I could help her.

I'd be happy to propose/sponsor/be a reference for her this end as she really is a very dedicated and hard working person but I've no idea where to start.

Does anyone here know if there is a way for her to gain a visa to come do a conversion course here so she could gain an Irish nursing license? The HSE here is crying out for nurses so it would be a win win for everyone if she was to become a nurse here.

Would appreciate any tips or advise people here might have.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I don't see why they couldn't get a visa to come study here. Information widely available online.

Nursing bridging course is where it gets tricky. They would need to contact the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI.ie) to find out if they could bridge their degree or ever register here. I would EXPECT however that they would need to complete a 4 year degree program either here or in the UK to register in either of those registers, that being the full BSc. Nursing degree.

The goods news is it's very easy to get part-time work here as a student nurse in care homes and the likes but they would need significant savings to come here and get set up to do the 4 year program.

I can't speak to the Thai degree specifically but the vast majority of nursing degree obtained from outside Ireland/UK are mostly not recognised here. There are nursing homes brimmed to the lip with Filipino nurses working as care assistants because NMBI will not recognise their degree. We have quite advanced practice here in the scope of nursing and our education standards are some of the highest in the world in terms of nursing education.

TLDR; Contact NMBI and ask about their degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks Miike, that's very helpful info, much appreciated.

Advertisement