Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to begin - advice needed

Options
  • 05-09-2019 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

hi, i need an alarm for a new house.... but i've no idea about what is the latest and greatest...
    I'd like something that i dont have to pay a lot to monitor as im home quite a lot...

any advice appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

HKC make good components but charge approx 7 euro a month for you to monitor your own alarm with app.

Siemens I believe is free for app to yourself and would also have good ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

HKC make good components but charge approx 7 euro a month for you to monitor your own alarm with app.

Siemens I believe is free for app to yourself and would also have good ratings.

The HKC one has a world SIM in it and also utilises wifi, that is why it costs money.

The basic Siemens/ Vanderbilt one which you say is free, is incapable of transmitting alarm conditions should there be a power failure to the router in that particular premises.

The bottom line is, you get what you pay for .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've had both systems, HKC and Siemens

Even if they were both free there are pros and cons to each one.

Theres a sticky on same have a look at it.

IMO sometimes the features one manufacturer is missing are exaggerated by installers who have a preference for a competitors offering.

They are both good offerings imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Stoner wrote: »
    I've had both systems, HKC and Siemens

Even if they were both free there are pros and cons to each one.

Theres a sticky on same have a look at it.

IMO sometimes the features one manufacturer is missing are exaggerated by installers who have a preference for a competitors offering.

They are both good offerings imo.

ok thanks ill take a look at the sticky.... I take it these are the best two then and there arent other options to look at?

jobless wrote: »
    ok thanks ill take a look at the sticky.... I take it these are the best two then and there arent other options to look at?

There are other options such as Yale diy setup etc. but for a proper professional alarm system HKC and Siemens are essentially the best.

PS I have the HKC system that i pay the 7.59 a month for the world sim as mentioned above. Its worth it, however you may need to go through a provider in which case it maybe more like 10/11 a month or need a maintenance contract.

With the Siemens if you wanted to keep broadband up you could stick a ups on your broadband - this works especially if using a 4g router for internet. This way if power cut, connectivity is still up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

There are other options such as Yale diy setup etc. but for a proper professional alarm system HKC and Siemens are essentially the best.

PS I have the HKC system that i pay the 7.59 a month for the world sim as mentioned above. Its worth it, however you may need to go through a provider in which case it maybe more like 10/11 a month or need a maintenance contract.

With the Siemens if you wanted to keep broadband up you could stick a ups on your broadband - this works especially if using a 4g router for internet. This way if power cut, connectivity is still up.

Can i ask which hkc system you have?

jobless wrote: »
    Can i ask which hkc system you have?

It’s the 1070 board, with an extender for more zones, however other than main keypad and strobe all my zones are wireless.

21 sensors/vibration wireless (1 wireless to garage door sensor)
    4 pir wireless
    1 wired keypad
    1 wireless keypad
    1 extender
    3 keyfobs/panic (2 pin coded if bringing outside house on car keys, 1 not pin coded to stay inside house)
    Output on alarm wired to pulse gate (allows gate to be opened/closed by app or by a text)

Full set
    Part set A (all except upstairs)
    Part set B (all except upstairs & pirs in house) allows full internal walk around.

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

You are correct, providing that the broadband provider is not reliant on that same electrical supply at the local distribution hub.

Advertisement