Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 May update loses personal settings

Options
  • 11-09-2019 7:24am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just had the May update forced on me which installed quickly and fine.

However literally every application such as steam and Spotify have lost their login details and need me to reenter them and all of my personal settings have been reset from sound to wallpaper to taskbar and start menu settings and even task manager has reverted to basic view and chrome has lost all cookies.

Is this a known issue?

It's. Terribly annoying and I've tried one Steam game that needed to be reinstalled. Haven't tried any more as had to go to work but if I am going to have to do this for everything is it possible for me to roll back to avoid this?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

devnull wrote: »
    Just had the May update forced on me which installed quickly and fine.

However literally every application such as steam and Spotify have lost their login details and need me to reenter them and all of my personal settings have been reset from sound to wallpaper to taskbar and start menu settings and even task manager has reverted to basic view and chrome has lost all cookies.

Is this a known issue?

It's. Terribly annoying and I've tried one Steam game that needed to be reinstalled. Haven't tried any more as had to go to work but if I am going to have to do this for everything is it possible for me to roll back to avoid this?

Don't think so. There was a problem with one of the updates where it'd wipe all your data if you had a non standard location for the "documents" folder or some such, but that was caught within a day of release and removed until it was fixed.

Sounds like this isn't as serious though, just an inconvenience (if a really annoying one). I'm not sure that rolling back would return everything to the way it was, plus then you'd be fighting Win10 to keep the update away.

Outside of your problem devnull, I still recommend people to stay up to date with the Win10 patches, there's a reason that Windows viruses aren't in the news anymore, and the forced updates are probably the biggest reason. It can be annoying, but it keeps everyone safer in the long run. I usually wait a week after the release of an update to download it, as then any major problems should be caught, and then I put it on when I'm heading out somewhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Had to revert back to the old build in the end, way too many glitches, sound kept breaking, after any kind of sleep the machine came back on and the sound wouldn't work and only a restart would fix it.

I changed my taskbar to the way I wanted it and a reboot later it had gone back to the default, changed it again, it downloaded an update, reverted them back once again to the default, can't be dealing with that stuff.

The last straw for me was what happened on the last reboot, so I couldn't login at all so had to boot in safe mode:
    1-13.png

Just did a revert and it's back to the way it was before the update everything installed and working fine so it's pretty much like a system restore when you do that.

Will upgrade again before they stop supporting this version in November in the hope something would have changed but at the moment it's just too annoying to live with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Definitely sounds like a failed update then.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Just allowed a Major update last few days Windows 10, version 1903. Loads of improvements.
    No issues from my setup..
    In general I find Windows 10 very stable even on older hardware.

Advertisement