Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotukdeals no longer much use

Options
  • 17-01-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, because of Brexit, https://www.hotukdeals.com/ is no longer the source of bargains that it once was for Irish users. Bargains from there were frequently reposted here. I constantly switched between sites.

Anyway, has anyone got any other bargain sites, hopefully within the EU, that we can use to fill the void.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

Addresspal will still take deliveries from UK. It'll cost about a tenner versus PM's 4.50 but they do deliver to your door

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

dubrov wrote: »
    Addresspal will still take deliveries from UK. It'll cost about a tenner versus PM's 4.50 but they do deliver to your door

If you enjoy paying double vat then that's an option otherwise, the OP is largely correct. Most UK bargains won't be for us anymore unless in NI.

Murt10 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, because of Brexit, https://www.hotukdeals.com/ is no longer the source of bargains that it once was for Irish users. Bargains from there were frequently reposted here. I constantly switched between sites.

Anyway, has anyone got any other bargain sites, hopefully within the EU, that we can use to fill the void.

HUKD posts deals than don't originate from the UK (Amazon Spain/Germany, Aliexpress etc.), they're still very useful for Amazon deals (particularly for the current VAT free items until July) and most importantly nothing changes for the majority of items under €150 (and even some over €150) that could already be delivered direct to Ireland as apparently the majority of such UK companies that offered Irish delivery are also registered to collect Irish VAT rather than UK VAT at checkout.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/vat-and-online-shopping-in-the-uk-after-brexit.html

HUKD is still very useful don't worry. The main impact is to those websites that didn't ship to Ireland in the past and you instead needed to uses PM, PW or AddressPal and therefore would pay double the VAT + fees, and for me that was the severe minority.

The main thing I personally use HUKD for is for Amazon deals so very little has changed for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

HUKD is part of Pepper.com, which has various EU equivalents.

For retaillers in Ireland there's Price Scanner, though it's not user curated like the Pepper sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page on hotukdeals and you'll see the drop down box to visit all of their other sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

HUKD is part of Pepper.com, which has various EU equivalents.

For retaillers in Ireland there's Price Scanner, though it's not user curated like the Pepper sites.

Yes if we could get a French Parcel Motel set up it would help a lot with delivery. Given the new shipping routes direct from Ireland it should be commercially viable to run a truck or 2 daily full of packages back to Ireland, might even be return demand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thanks OP. Bought eleventy-one!

On topic - yeah, it's true that HUKD is less useful than it once was but there was exceptions.

e.g if you've Prime, Amazon deals under the limit are still worthwhile - even moreso now with VAT reduction. And also Argos deals are pretty much the same in UK versus here (bar some outliers).

Don't worry OP Murt10 has the answer you are looking for.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87525806

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Basq wrote: »
    Thanks OP. Bought eleventy-one!

On topic - yeah, it's true that HUKD is less useful than it once was but there was exceptions.

e.g if you've Prime, Amazon deals under the limit are still worthwhile - even moreso now with VAT reduction. And also Argos deals are pretty much the same in UK versus here (bar some outliers).

Any chance you'll resurrect HUKD.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

godtabh wrote: »
    Any chance you'll resurrect HUKD.ie ?
    Wouldn't mind the cash.. but unlikely given the poor uptake initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

I'm not up to speed on what brexit means for buying from the UK. I thought the fact they made a deal meant that we'd still be able to buy from the UK without paying imports fees or VAT? I assumed that Amazon would just charge Irish VAT rather than UK VAT since the item is destined for Ireland?

doxy79 wrote: »
    I'm not up to speed on what brexit means for buying from the UK. I thought the fact they made a deal meant that we'd still be able to buy from the UK without paying imports fees or VAT? I assumed that Amazon would just charge Irish VAT rather than UK VAT since the item is destined for Ireland?

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/vat-and-online-shopping-in-the-uk-after-brexit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Does anybody know if the current Amazon slow deliveries are here to stay or are they just slow with brexit being recent and covid at the min? (prime customer).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Well moat of the deals i post here come from hotukdeals !

Currys/Argos/M&S all are relevant for ireland ! And then you have amazon deals too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cudders wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the current Amazon slow deliveries are here to stay or are they just slow with brexit being recent and covid at the min? (prime customer).

Thanks

Brexit teething problems. The whole haulage and logistics process changed overnight with no idea what to plan for prior to the change. The only question is how long till it settles down.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

I started www.bozing.com about a year ago which is showing coupons and deals from e-commerce sites that have .ie version. it has the facility for users to post, comment and vote for deals. I am also trying to promote local small ecommerce sites and towns. Our visitor numbers are increasing weekly and hopefully will keep increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

B1gft wrote: »
    I started www.bozing.com about a year ago which is showing coupons and deals from e-commerce sites that have .ie version. it has the facility for users to post, comment and vote for deals. I am also trying to promote local small ecommerce sites and towns. Our visitor numbers are increasing weekly and hopefully will keep increasing.

.ie doesn't mean it's an Irish site, you used to have to prove that you had a link to Ireland now it's a free for all. I recently bought off a .ie site and was charged in Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

Well moat of the deals i post here come from hotukdeals !

Currys/Argos/M&S all are relevant for ireland ! And then you have amazon deals too

I ordered online for Currys and am getting stung on import charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Staplor wrote: »
    If you ordered on currys.ie you shouldn't be..I'd be contacting customer service to resolve before taking delivery and paying any charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Thanks

Yup same here sorry if its off topic but as many of the deals on HDUK are amazon the stupidly long delivery times makes a big impact on this. 3-4 weeks delivery times is just unacceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Currys.ie you should be ok, currys.co.uk you can be hit. For that reason On our site, bozing.com, we stopped showing currys.co.uk coupons and deals and are now only showing currys.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Have a read here.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/brexit-currys-pc-world-irish-customers-asked-to-pay-import-taxes-in-error-1.4461105

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Yup same here sorry if its off topic but as many of the deals on HDUK are amazon the stupidly long delivery times makes a big impact on this. 3-4 weeks delivery times is just unacceptable

I don't mind the wait if I'm saving money and it's not anything really urgent. The delivery time had just gotten so fast before Christmas it was great then it was just gone over night. Will give it time to see if it improves. They do customer service better than anyone else too always worth keeping that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks

They slowed down are a result of COVID and I think that's still the main reason for slow delivery times. Many retailers are being hit by Brexit, but Amazon seems to be well prepared, with their IT systems already taking advantage of it.

I don't think we'll see the 2-day delivery back anytime soon, but 5-days is doable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement