Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage fridge

Options
  • 04-01-2021 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend an under counter Fridge freezer that will work in a Garage. Garage Temp normally around 5degs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnner2

Beko do various ones that are designed for shed/garage use. Your obviously aware of some that are problematic in colder areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭tri50072

Thanks for info I was enquiring about BEKO but the only one recommended was a Freezer, I need a Fridge Freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I got a beko fridge for the garage and have no issues with it. Guy in power city said it would be suitable for garages

Sorry I'm not sure of an undercounter ff, you might have to consider two stand alone units.

I got one from Power City in August and it is useless in Garage I have just Returned it to them

• Advertisement

tri50072 wrote: »
    I got one from Power City in August and it is useless in Garage I have just Returned it to them
    What brand, did you tell them where you wanted to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

If anything, using it in a garage will be a better environment than inside a heated house. The freezer would to work harder in a warm environment.

I asked Lady for a Fridge Freezer for my Garage She sold me a BEKO which was not working well I contacted BEKO and was advised the model was not suitable for a Garage. As my wife and I are both in our 80s Power took it back, i need one for the Garage so any recommendations welcome.

I asked Sales Lady in Power City for a Garage fridge she sold me a BEKO which.
    was useless I contacted BEKO and was informed it was not suitable for a Garage
    Because of our Age both in 80s Power City took it Back

If anything, using it in a garage will be a better environment than inside a heated house. The freezer would to work harder in a warm environment.
    not the cast with most of them, freezers thaw out, most ff arnt suitable, only a couple are suitable, I know for definite beko do freezers for shed use, it might be better to run seperate fridge and freezers, that's what I do with a fridge and freezer I have in my shed for my fishing baits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Any freezer will work in a shed as it’s temp will be c -18 degrees, the problem will be with the larder fridge, these days with the temp down to minus 1 or a bit lower the fridge will not cut in as it’s normal running temp will be somewhere circa +3 degrees on the older fridge freezers they had a built in defrosting heater element which defrosted the ice quickly but also made the compressor cut in . All the fridge freezers are controlled by one stat which controls fridge section and if the fridge section is ok temp wise then the freezer compartment will thaw. Bosch did have fridge freezers with one motor but with two stats. OP I have never seen an under counter fridge freezer unless you are thinking of marine fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some fridges will switch off if the room temp falls under 10 degrees Celsius. You'll want one that will stay on in the cold temps.

The only undercounter fridge freezer will be the fridges with a small ice shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Any freezer will work in a shed as it’s temp will be c -18 degrees.

Just because it's designed to drop the inside temperature to -18 C doesn't mean it can function in a room that's below zero. You need an appliance that specifically states that it's suitable for a shed or other unheated location. For example, this 95 litre chest freezer in Currys says 'suitable for outbuildings'. If that doesn't appear in the specs., dont buy it.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/refrigeration/freezers/essentials-c95cfw20-chest-freezer-white-10205753-pdt.html'

The multiple posts above where the sales guy gave wrong information should be enough to tell you that you should never believe a word you hear from a sales person in an electrical shop. All of the information and product specs. are available online, do the research before you walk in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Just wondering why you think that a freezer that is designed to have an operating temperature of minus 18 to 23 degrees will not work if put in an outside shed. A freezer stat should close contacts to run the compressor motor when the inside temp is approx 18 degrees and cut out at minus 23. If it doesn’t it is faulty. The example you have given are mostly Chinese made without a high temp warning light or fast freeze switch. I have seen some of these where they were cutting out at minus 8 degrees, no wonder they won’t run correctly. I have a chest freezer in an unheated workshop that operated to perfection during the big freeze up of 2010 when we had temps down to minus 13/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just wondering why you think that a freezer that is designed to have an operating temperature of minus 18 to 23 degrees will not work if put in an outside shed.
    The OP is looking for a fridge-freezer. For the majority of indoor fridges, the fridge part will shut off the motor at 10 degrees, as that's cool enough for it. Unfortunately, the freezer section will also be turned off, and then the produce in the freezer may start to unfreeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just wondering why you think that a freezer that is designed to have an operating temperature of minus 18 to 23 degrees will not work if put in an outside shed.

The internal temperature of the unit has nothing to do with it. The compressor and other components have to operate in the ambient air and they may not function properly in subzero conditions. Take a look at this Nordmende chest freezer on Power City. In the specs. it explicitly states the following.....
    This appliance is not designed to be used in an outbuilding. Do not use it in any unheated area.

https://powercity.ie/product/P11200

Here's a Thor chest freezer on DID. In the specs there is a category 'Required Room temperature' and for this freezer, it says 'min 10'...

https://www.did.ie/thor-142-litre-chest-freezer-th11150mlw-prd

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I had this problem a hoover fridge freezer thawed in a cold house where I had no heating. I replaced it for a BEKO fridge freezer which works well. I note that Currys website explicitly states if fridge freezer is suitable for outbuildings (or cold houses). Only issue is there is a build up of condensation on shelves of fridge but it's not too bad. My model has a fan in the freezer but dont know if this is required. When I asked what this was for salesman said it was to reduce the odour in the freezer my response to him was why would there be an odour from frozen food. Seemed like bs from him.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement