Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust in a microwave

Options
  • 24-12-2020 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Hi all...

So my in-laws' Microwave has peeled/cracked 'paint' and rust in it, basically going around in a circle on the bottom, near where the wheels of the plate that spins around would be. It's pretty extensive. This is apparently the second or third microwave they've had and they've all ended up this way after a couple of years. I have my microwave for about 10 years with no sign of rust at all, though it's metal on the inside, not painted.

Anyhow, what causes this? Is it just moisture sitting under the plate and slowly working through the paint? How can it be avoided, should they just get a non-painted microwave?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

Possibly,heavy handed cleaning or water left lying inside or not dried fully after washing.Hardly anything corrosive in the food.Had it happen with first microwave.More careful now

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi all...

So my in-laws' Microwave has peeled/cracked 'paint' and rust in it, basically going around in a circle on the bottom, near where the wheels of the plate that spins around would be. It's pretty extensive. This is apparently the second or third microwave they've had and they've all ended up this way after a couple of years. I have my microwave for about 10 years with no sign of rust at all, though it's metal on the inside, not painted.

Anyhow, what causes this? Is it just moisture sitting under the plate and slowly working through the paint? How can it be avoided, should they just get a non-painted microwave?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

We had the same issue before. We started leaving the microwave door open for the moisture inside of it to escape, when the microwave is not in use. This avoided rust. I don't know if the same works for everyone.

It’s usually just from cleaning! When you clean it & leave the door closed while it’s damp, it’s hard to dry because microwaves are (by design) not great for letting air in and out when it’s not being used. A stainless steel one should solve any of those issues in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

mac.in wrote: »
    We had the same issue before. We started leaving the microwave door open for the moisture inside of it to escape, when the microwave is not in use. This avoided rust. I don't know if the same works for everyone.

Same here, doors always open a bit. Never had that problem again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Deagol

I always buy microwaves with stainless steel interiors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Wow, how about that for quick and helpful replies, and on Christmas Eve too! Thanks Boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Leave the door open(and switch it off at the wall or the light will stay on)

Advertisement