Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollywood Actor Jussie Smollett Facing Prison Time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Candace nails it on just how victim focused today's liberals are. It's their currency of choice.

I'm 90 seconds in and she's already talking nonsense.

Words to the tune of "The first hoax was Colin Kaepernick, he made millions and got away with it, this half white man sold you a complete lie that it was cool to pretend that America shifted somehow under President Donald Trump, nothing shifted other than the mentality of black America, because the media told them that they were victims and that's all they could be".

Colin took a knee during the national anthem in protest of police brutality against black people. Jeff all to do with Donald Trump and in fact he first kneeled a full 4 and a half months prior to DJT even taking office.

I'm not familiar with this Candace Owens character and I'll give the rest a listen in good faith, not off to a great start though. These youtube conservative talking heads are almost universally full of **** and crafting narratives out of misinformation.

Edit: I got about 5 minutes in and had to turn it off. She apparently can speak for every black american and every black american who disagrees with her is just a brainwashed sheep. This is a stream of consciousness emotional rant thats no better than the dross you see posted in some of the threads on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

is_that_so wrote: »

You'd bloody well hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

I haven't read any articles or comments and I won't be either although I googled him.

I think hoaxers like him should be hung, drawn and quartered and then shot. Why is it that the people on the "so-called" Left are always the ones doing what it is this guy did? I think we all know the answer to that! Personal computer gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The two brothers from Nigeria apparently gave him up in an instant. Always be careful who you go in on a scam with. :D

They've been released and will not be charged in relation to their involvement in the hoax.

They showed Police a cheque for $3500 JS had made out to them. Small beans really for man making 1.8 mil off a single series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The two brothers from Nigeria apparently gave him up in an instant. Always be careful who you go in on a scam with. :D

They've been released and will not be charged in relation to their involvement in the hoax.

They showed Police a cheque for $3500 JS had made out to them. Small beans really for man making 1.8 mil off a single series.

Why wouldn't they give him up, he paid them hardly anything as you said and I am not sure of their visa status but America right now is not the country to piss around in if your not a citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Really shows how many are so willing to support that the "Other side" are the bad guys. A bit like the MAGA kids and the Indian guy.

What, the snowflake conservative whites being bullied?

If there's a racist attack it would be from ultra right wingers, not the legion of Mary, (although...).
    I would be quick to believe racists can commit racist acts, yes.

This dude needs to be held to account.
    I'm curious why it gets more press than killings going on. You would think the liberal media would have well hid this story ;)

Sadly it's another case of someone crying wolf and every victim needing to pay the price.

Undividual wrote: »
    I haven't read any articles or comments and I won't be either although I googled him.

I think hoaxers like him should be hung, drawn and quartered and then shot. Why is it that the people on the "so-called" Left are always the ones doing what it is this guy did? I think we all know the answer to that! Personal computer gone mad.

What do you mean by "so called left" and what are your examples of people on "the so called left" always doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,578 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The two brothers from Nigeria

Or put another way the 2 American brothers who were born in America.
    The American-born brothers of Nigerian descent are bodybuilders and have both done some acting. A Thursday court filing by prosecutors said Abimbola Osundairo was a close friend of Smollett's
    apparently gave him up in an instant.

If an instant is 45 hours.
    It was only after more than 45 hours behind bars that they agreed to talk, later admitting they helped stage the attack and offering details on how it was done.
    However odd it might be, it wouldn't be breaking the law to agree to pretend to beat someone up. If that was as far it went, there would be no victims. It becomes a crime if one of the participants reports the fake beating to police as real. Authorities say that's what Smollett did. The victims would include police, who wasted their time investigating the phony attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This dude needs to be held to account.
    I'm curious why it gets more press than killings going on. You would think the liberal media would have well hid this story ;)

Well its come full circle i would think, the day that Jussie reported this an actual hate crime of a jew in New York city happened. Not a word about it because a celebrity of a current big TV series was attacked.

Additionally when it came out that it was more than likely a fraud most of those that condemned him said they needed to see more evidence but when it looked like he was a victim they couldnt condemn the MAGA country enough. The media then went on to "distance" itself from the comments allot of its members made at the time.

So if your trying to suggest that the media in America isn't biased because they are covering this story well it suggest its not the case, they are too far in to walk away now. They have to try and save face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

This type of news is gold dust for Trump's re-election.

Democrat politicians and the media slam white racist homophobic MAGA Trump supporters.... left with egg on their face. Turns out to be about a pay dispute????

The Covington High School boy is suing the Washington Post for $250m over the Native American racial abuse allegations. Now it seems the boy didn't actually do anything but smile. He was accused of being some kind of Klan kid.

If the US economy continues to perform well, he's looking at a second term. The debates will be great fun.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The debates will be great fun.

They always were going to be, in fairness. I don't like Trump but I can't help but find him entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ush1 wrote: »
    Which white supremacist rally was that?

The Unite the Right rally.
    Yes. He condemned people who carried out violence on both sides and suggested that not EVERY person that was at the rally was a white supremacist nor were all the people present to protest the rally violent thugs looking for a fight.

What a monster.

manual_man wrote: »
    Because it wasn't advertised as one. Anyone who did any research into the event would know this. Many people turned up in protest (either for or against) the removal of statues and found themselves caught up in something they wanted no part of.

Please. The type of person who protests the removal of confederate statues wouldn't have any problem with ****e supremacist groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There is a reason he told the police that the two would be white (who were actually black) attackers, wore MAGA caps was to make it political so the media would jump all over it, elevating it from a local assault to something that would make international headlines.

The more exposure the better, for his contract negotiations.

It shows us as a society, especially in the media that we need to make a judgment on a story within about 5 seconds, then dig the trenches and stick with it to hell or high water. The Covington Catholic school incident is another example, where many media outlets had to issue retractions after the full facts came to light. Apparently, the kid is suing the Washington Post for $350 Million for defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The problem with this idiot is that his lies were much too complicated. If you are going to lie then make it simple. His story was far too complicated and with too many hollywood style coincidences at once.

Not only was there the maga hats, there was bleach and then the ****ing rope really jumped the shark. Too many points of interest there. I’m sort of surprised he didn’t say they were wearing white pointy hoods and had a burning cross as well.

I’ve never watched the show. I actually thought it was Power he was in.

America is suffering from a severe shortage of racism and simply can't meet the demand. When half the country have been duped into thinking there are 60 million KKK members and every Trump supporter is a racist, this sort of stuff happens.

Covington, the seven-year-old girl getting shot, and this guy, all in the space of a couple of months. All called out as BS by people, who were then slaughtered, before being proven right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SKILFUL

America is suffering from a severe shortage of racism and simply can't meet the demand. When half the country have been duped into thinking there are 60 million KKK members and every Trump supporter is a racist, this sort of stuff happens.

Covington, the seven-year-old girl getting shot, and this guy, all in the space of a couple of months. All called out as BS by people, who were then slaughtered, before being proven right.

What girl getting shot

The christine blasey ford hoax exposed the left
    And they will never recover from that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Ugh why are there a load of weird posts all of a sudden about the demand and supply of racism. Do people think repeating that nonsense makes them sound smart?

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Ugh why are there a load of weird posts all of a sudden about the demand and supply of racism. Do people think repeating that nonsense makes them sound smart?
    Cos jussie hired 2 nigerians to hatecrime him
    Its like the A-TEAM in reverse

• Advertisement

El_Bee wrote: »
    I'm surprised none of the journalists who covered this haven't been sanctioned for doing absolutely no digging and taking the whole thing at face value.

Most of the media in all places seem to take the press releases of their favourite 'side' on various issues and present that as news.

Its nuts. An independent media really is a pillar of a fully functioning democracy.

LLMMLL wrote:

Ugh. Why do you think that is (given the thread title and the facts lying therein)?

Do you think that it's unreasonable to believe that in certain areas there is an outrage and victimhood culture in which people fabricate hardships in order to appeal to the permanently offended?

I read (on Fox) that America is suffering from a severe shortage of murder and can't meet demand.

Ergo Murder doesn't exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

He's an absolute idiot and has completely thrown away what was the start of a potentially good career. But what's worse is that he's done a lot to undermine the real victims of racism and assault.

Anytime you read or hear about something that seems to fit in perfectly with your world view, you should scrutinize it, or, at the very least, refrain from sharing your opinion until more facts become available. Just like news outlets want to be the first to break a story, some people want to be the first to appear as "woke" as possible, and it's not healthy. Unless you're not directly involved, your take is worthless, so you might as well hold on to it until there are enough details to warrant it.

Excellent point.

I was a Yes voter in the abortion referendum. But since, a few stories with scant details have hit the news and even been brought up in the Dáil about women being refused abortions or about details of women who has abortions being leaked. I’ve withheld opinions on these stories unless more details were later made available. Some people are too quick to be outraged and don’t analyse the information.

Boggles wrote: »
    I read (on Fox) that America is suffering from a severe shortage of murder and can't meet demand.

Ergo Murder doesn't exit.

No one is saying it doesn't exist. Learn how to argue like an adult.

This interview is so embarrassing in hindsight.

What I don’t get is why he thought being racially targeted would increase his salary? He comes across like a right cringe bag. Typical narcissist, anything for attention. What’s worse is he would have happily seen two innocent people go to jail for a crime they didn’t commit. What kind of a mind even conjures up this crap? What a dangerous man.

I think he was cynically trying to leverage the current political climate in the US of A to his advantage. Like “Nobody will dare question a black, gay man on this and the bosses might feel sorry for me!”. Totally hare-brained thought process. Detectives and crime analysts are well-trained in noting anomolies in people’s stories.

Zorya wrote: »
    That interview is eye opening. I have not known many or even any serious liars in my time, so it is educational to see someone just brazenly sit there full on lying, even bringing themselves to tears, apparently reliving horrible trauma, bleach, noose, neck burns, so detailed, so apparently real! It's quite weird to watch. It's like someone in full on delusion. How many other people have we been watching lie their heads off so comprehensively on camera - makes one think.

Check out Joe O’Reilly’s Late Late Show interview if it’s on Youtube. Chilling stuff. :eek:
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    He's an actor.

I don’t think that makes much difference. Very few actors are encouraged to improv and it’s not in every actor’s wheelhouse. Actors interpret lines they have been given. He made this shït up. I don’t believe being an actor makes you a good liar. And it apparently didn’t make him a good liar.

No one is saying it doesn't exist. Learn how to argue like an adult.

Adult, Nonsensical sound bites?

Gotcha!

Boggles wrote: »
    Adult, Nonsensical sound bites?

Gotcha!

A fantastic start. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Check out Joe O’Reilly’s Late Late Show interview if it’s on Youtube. Chilling stuff. :eek:

I don’t think that makes much difference. Very few actors are encouraged to improv and it’s not in every actor’s wheelhouse. Actors interpret lines they have been given. He made this shït up. I don’t believe being an actor makes you a good liar. And it apparently didn’t make him a good liar.

Have never seen that interview. My mother has told me about it in fascinated detail, she found it bizarre, and memorable, especially since she didn't believe him from the beginning. Her clue - she said ''what man knows how many towels are in the hotpress?'' A real-life Miss Marple is my Ma.

As for the acting, it may have helped. I've done some acting and known many actors and even a good method actor would be hard pushed to be so unflinching. I think he was high on delusion. A kind of religious conviction that is there now in identity (I know! Snores..) politics. He was having secular visions :D

Zorya wrote: »
    Have never seen that interview. My mother has told me about it in fascinated detail, she found it bizarre, and memorable, especially since she didn't believe him from the beginning. Her clue - she said ''what man knows how many towels are in the hotpress?'' A real-life Miss Marple is my Ma.

As for the acting, it may have helped. I've done some acting and known many actors and even a good method actor would be hard pushed to be so unflinching. I think he was high on delusion. A kind of religious conviction that is there now in identity (I know! Snores..) politics. He was having secular visions :D

I guess with any fabricated story, the devil is in the detail. Any good detective will quickly spot when a person relays a story slightly differently each time or omits details previously mentioned or embellishes details or adds details. Another good tell is hesitance when asked to elaborate on part of a story or area of ambiguity. That’s when you can practically hear the cogs turning in somebody’s brain as they flail a bit.

LLMMLL wrote:

Ugh. Why do you think that is (given the thread title and the facts lying therein)?

Do you think that it's unreasonable to believe that in certain areas there is an outrage and victimhood culture in which people fabricate hardships in order to appeal to the permanently offended?

Oh people definitely fabricate stories for sympathy. They always have.

However, trying to portray this as some sort of economic process where there is a modern "demand" for racist incidents so fake ones have to be made up to satisfy this is one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while.

However, trying to portray this as some sort of economic process where there is a modern "demand" for racist incidents so fake ones have to be made up to satisfy this is one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while.

That's not my argument (and I was the one you replied to previously).

The reason I use the economic term is that it explains the "price" of every real and fake story. By "price", I mean the global media coverage, the associated outrage, the shaming of people who even question it.

It's a succinct way of expressing a point. These stories gain massive traction because there are relatively few compared to the tens of millions who desire them, and trust me, they are desired.

That's not my argument (and I was the one you replied to previously).

The reason I use the economic term is that it explains the "price" of every real and fake story. By "price", I mean the global media coverage, the associated outrage, the shaming of people who even question it.

It's a succinct way of expressing a point. These stories gain massive traction because there are relatively few compared to the tens of millions who desire them, and trust me, they are desired.

This particular one gained traction because it was a celebrity. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread there was a barely mentioned genuine anti semitic attack around the same time.

If this nonsense "demand" theory was correct all these stories would get equal attention.

Why would I trust you that they are desired? Do you have some inside knowledge? As far as I know you're an Irish guy living in Ireland. I'm supposed to trust you on the "desire" and "demand" (nonsense) for racist stories in the US?

This particular one gained traction because it was a celebrity. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread there was a barely mentioned genuine anti semitic attack around the same time.

If this nonsense "demand" theory was correct all these stories would get equal attention.

Why would I trust you that they are desired? Do you have some inside knowledge? As far as I know you're an Irish guy living in Ireland. I'm supposed to trust you on the "desire" and "demand" (nonsense) for racist stories in the US?

I'm an Irish guy living in Asia with many American friends, one of which I ended a friendship with over a similarish case. Definitely an -ish for that one but he was way worse than you could imagine.

So no, of course my anecdotal experience isn't worth much, but I observe how people react to these stories in the media and on sites like this or Reddit. My own experience tells me that there are many who believe racism is now an epidemic again. It's not. There is racism, of course, but it's nowhere near what it's made out to be.

Irish people shouldn't be subscribing to this stuff. It's an American thing. We aren't a racist country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

This young fella has serious problems.
    I found his interview convincing. He seemed to believe what he was saying on some level.

I get the feeling he's not completely comfortable with himself, his sexuality etc.

And there's an aggressive SJW/NPC and slightly stupid impressionable thing going on as well.

The looney left have a lot to answer for. This is the result.

I'm an Irish guy living in Asia with many American friends, one of which I ended a friendship with over a similarish case. Definitely an -ish for that one but he was way worse than you could imagine.

So no, of course my anecdotal experience isn't worth much, but I observe how people react to these stories in the media and on sites like this or Reddit. My own experience tells me that there are many who believe racism is now an epidemic again. It's not. There is racism, of course, but it's nowhere near what it's made out to be.

Irish people shouldn't be subscribing to this stuff. It's an American thing. We aren't a racist country.

Whether ireland is a racist country or not and whether Irish people have skewed perceptions about this is a completely separate issue.

The economics metaphor and "demand" for racism is still nonsense and hopefully will die out soon.

So no, of course my anecdotal experience isn't worth much, but I observe how people react to these stories in the media

How else should be people react to a pretty awful racist hate crime in the media? :confused:

It was met with universal condemnation from all sections of the main stream media in America (Including Trump and Fox) and his outing as a fraud was met with a similar faith.

I don't see the benefit in trying to manufacture a problem that doesn't exist, less than 1% of hate crime reported is bogus, far less than all other crimes. False reporting of all crimes have always existed, just as long as idiots have, stating that there is particular market for it now is quite bizarre and quite frankly nonsense.

If you are looking for independent unbiased oversight on the likes of Twitter and Reddit, your not going to get it, maybe you need to rethink how you consume media.

Boggles wrote:
    How else should be people react to a pretty awful racist hate crime in the media?

By acknowledging that if true, this was a horrific isolated incident. Not by taking something that suits their agenda and accepting it wholesale and without fact in order to further their own political or social bias

By acknowledging that if true, this was a horrific isolated incident.

What you mean by isolated?

Exceptional?

It wasn't.

Exceptional is what happened in Pittsburgh or Charleston.

People getting physically or verbally harmed because of what there are is neither isolated or exceptional. It's common.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Grayson wrote: »
    You mean reporting the police reports and when the police uncovered more information, they reported that too.

You can't blame the media for reporting the news.

Interestingly, Supt. Eddie Johnson (Basically the Chicago Chief of Police by another title), did put a several digs at the media for their coverage in his press conference.

The first was in stating that CPD treated the allegations in the same manner as every other hate crime the city deals with. The exact line was akin to "We did not make this a big deal. You in the media made this a big deal"

See 21:10 in the press conference, for example. https://youtu.be/jg9vVMNi4N0
    "You all gave it more attention than it deserved. So when you get the opportunity for shooting victims and victims of those crimes, give them the same amount of attention"

Next, see his comments at about 19:30 into the press conference.
    https://youtu.be/jg9vVMNi4N0?t=1179

"When you all put things out there into the universe that's not actual facts, then it causes us to have to chase all that stuff down. Those are resources and time spent which we can't get back"

The other was a later follow-on to "The accusation within this phony attack received national attention for weeks. Celebrities, news commentators and even presidential candidates weighed in on something that was choreographed by an actor." It was a line to the extent that "The media, celebrities and politicians spent weeks on these allegations. I hope that they will spend similar effort on the truth now that these allegations are false". Can't find the timestamp off-hand.

As for the whole "Liberals are just as hateful as those who they profess to be against", CNN yesterday showed this clip. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/22/us/conservative-activist-assault-uc-berkeley/index.html
    Being a conservative should not be grounds for an unprovoked decking, even in California.

The first was in stating that CPD treated the allegations in the same manner as every other hate crime the city deals with. The exact line was akin to "We did not make this a big deal. You in the media made this a big deal"

TBF that isn't hard explain, so all though the Captain has a pretty valid point.

The guy was "famous", it's what happens.

Crimes that are salacious or involve "famous" people get exceptional more coverage, Ireland included, there is a pretty high profile one now that is getting wall to wall coverage.

It's the very reason he did it, he wanted to more famous and therefore earn more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Candace nails it on just how victim focused today's liberals are. It's their currency of choice.

Im a admirer of hers because of the message she puts across and her mentality would be the same as mine regarding the issue surrounding being offended, outrage and popular culture etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Im a admirer of hers because of the message she puts across and her mentality would be the same as mine regarding the issue surrounding being offended, outrage and popular culture etc .

Her interview with Russell Brand is worth a watch.
    Being a conservative should not be grounds for an unprovoked decking, even in California.

The root of the problem with these attacks is that there is an element intent on linking the wearing of MAGA Hats with someone holding racist beliefs. People like this young woman for example:

Nice to see that there is at least consequences for people that think they can do what they like to someone wearing one of these hats. This guy for example is up on felony charges for taking a maga hat off a young land and then throwing an iced drink in his face:

He got another hat to make up for it anyway:

https://twitter.com/JoeGalliNews/status/1017075308388913152

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Trump Derangement Syndrome is the name of the condition.

The worst reaction to a defeat in the history of democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Trump Derangement Syndrome is the name of the condition.

The worst reaction to a defeat in the history of democracy.

The U.S is like a over bearing girlfriend who just got told no by their boyfriend after years of getting their way, but continued to show utter contempt and childish behaviour that pales in comparison to an actual childs temper tantrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭SeanW

El_Bee wrote: »
    I'm surprised none of the journalists who covered this haven't been sanctioned for doing absolutely no digging and taking the whole thing at face value.
    Wrong century. The US (and to a lesser extent Western world) media hasn't had any real standards for a very long time. Back in the 20th century, the news media reported what happened, just the facts, and you had to determine what you thought of them.
    Now the media tells you what to think, and you have to decide if the events they reported on actually occurred. Especially when it's something that confirms an editorial left wing bias. The Jussie Smollet hoax? "A Rape on Campus?" Nick Sandmann harassing Native American Vietnam War veterans? None of these actually happened, but the media chose those stories.

A number of news "reporters" tweeted statements to say that the attack actually happened and used it to attack Trump, homophobia, racism, America etc which they perceive to be all one in the same. I don't actually watch CNN or other American MSM, so I have to go by tweets etc.
    https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1090308948429889536

https://twitter.com/briskwalk/status/1090343510652399616

https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1090351380248825856

This is only the second time in a month they've done this, the same thing happened to Nick Sandmann, where the MSM propagated doctored video to accusing the pro-life Trump supporting teen of harassing a Native American Vietnam War veteran. Only it turned out that the videos were selectively edited and intentionally left out the part about how the boys were being harassed in the first instance by Black Hebrews (a weird hate group in the US) and then the Native Americans approached the boys and the Black Hebrews. Not only that, but the NA activist never served in Vietnam and most likely left the military without an honourable discharge. Yet another case of the MSM tells you what to think, and then you have to decide if it actually happened.
    You mean reporting the police reports and when the police uncovered more information, they reported that too.

Let's see, black gay man, in Chicago (not exactly MAGA country) walks 3 blocks to a Subway, gets jumped by 2 Nigerian rednecks - after midnight when the temperature is near -20C, in the middle of a polar vortex, tell him "this is MAGA country" because so many Trump supporters watch Empire, tie a noose around his neck, pour bleach in his eyes, yet still he manages to walk home without so much as having dropped his Subway sandwich! Some attack. He then casually calls the cops 40 minutes later, but doesn't let the police officers look at his phone ...

At the very least, everyone in the MSM should have been careful to refer to this nonsense as just an allegation, and not jump onto their usual "This is Trump's America in 2019" narrative, though to be fair, they're always on that bandwagon so they'd have to stop long enough to allow an investigation to take place.

Still, reading your post is informative in one way - it gets one to thinking what it must have been like in the USSR when someone expressed a health skepticism of state media such as Pravda. If I were in the USSR and were discussing Pravda with a hardened Communist, such an expression might be responded to with something like this:
    Why you not believe Pravda, Comrade? Pravda is Truth, Pravda is Revolution, Pravda is LIFE!

SeanW wrote: »

Let's see, black gay man, in Chicago (not exactly MAGA country) walks 3 blocks to a Subway, gets jumped by 2 Nigerian rednecks - after midnight when the temperature is near -20C, in the middle of a polar vortex, tell him "this is MAGA country" because so many Trump supporters watch Empire, tie a noose around his neck, pour bleach in his eyes, yet still he manages to walk home without so much as having dropped his Subway sandwich! Some attack. He then casually calls the cops 40 minutes later, but doesn't let the police officers look a

It's easy in hindsight to pretend the details.of the story are too outrageous to be true. I don't think it's as bizarre as you are making out. Yes some of it is outlandish but many crimes are. You and others are being a bit extreme though. In your quest to make it seem as outlandish as possible you seem to imply that racist attacks are unlikely in Chicago. Or that they need to be Empire fans etc. I also don't see why a racist attack is incredibly unlikely on an extremely cold night given that people were walking home that night.

People who report themselves as victims of crimes tend to be believed. Whether it's the aspect of human nature that believes what people say or the fact that fake stories are rare, this should continue.

Sure a very small percentage of these reports will be fake and if you happen to be unlucky enough to publically support a fraudster you will end up with egg on your face.

But in general, believing someone who claims to have been attacked is not a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's easy in hindsight to pretend the details.of the story are too outrageous to be true. I don't think it's as bizarre as you are making out. Yes some of it is outlandish but many crimes are. You and others are being a bit extreme though. In your quest to make it seem as outlandish as possible you seem to imply that racist attacks are unlikely in Chicago. Or that they need to be Empire fans etc. I also don't see why a racist attack is incredibly unlikely on an extremely cold night given that people were walking home that night.
    There was more than enough evidence, at the time, to show skepticism. Those who did so were labeled "Conspiracy theorists" by the media. It should only ever have been regarded as an allegation, at most.
    But in general, believing someone who claims to have been attacked is not a bad thing.
    Yes. Because that never ends badly.
    473921.jpg

SeanW wrote: »
    There was more than enough evidence, at the time, to show skepticism. Those who did so were labeled "Conspiracy theorists" by the media. It should only ever have been regarded as an allegation, at most.
    Yes. Because that never ends badly.
    473921.jpg

There's a difference between convicting an individual and believing a story with no named individuals.

If someone comes to me and tells me they've been attacked I will probably believe them. For both irrational reasons and rational ones. On the irrational side we have the human tendency to believe what people tell us which is pretty much innate to all people no matter what their political persuasion. On the rational side, false reports are rare so it makes sense to give reports the benefit of the doubt.

Trying to conflate belief in a story and court convictions is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement