Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karl Lagerfeld R.I.P

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Anyone who loves cats can't be all bad. RIP Karl.

Not sure about that.

a9dXYKo_700b.jpg
    Vita nova wrote:
    He was such an iconic, larger than life and instantly recognizable designer, exactly what you need for a big fashion house like Chanel.

Lager than life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

He reminded me of being like a Bond villain with the cat.

Ah keep your knickers on there ffs. I didn't realize I was going to create a platform for a dramatic virtue signalling thanks seeker of a post. I said nothing about sport?! Never had a go at the concept of creativity or any of the other beautiful things you're bleating about. I'm all for creative expression to an extent but the whole fashion world thing is a load of oul elitist, airhead shyte.

Impressive. Bleating, drama and virtue signalling, the only thing you left out was snowflake - but you got in airhead so I'll give you that. You're no amateur.

You must be exhausted.

We Catmaniacs don’t have good press, that’s for sure. Some very dubious characters among us. Hope Choupette has a good loving home, and not for her money which no doubt she will have for her care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Ah keep your knickers on there ffs. I didn't realize I was going to create a platform for a dramatic virtue signalling thanks seeker of a post. I said nothing about sport?! Never had a go at the concept of creativity or any of the other beautiful things you're bleating about. I'm all for creative expression to an extent but the whole fashion world thing is a load of oul elitist, airhead shyte.

Let me guess. You like sports where 'real' men beat the brains out of each other, you love fast food, love to drink yourself senseless, complain about women who are in your opinion not sexy enough, think generally that women should know their place and should hang their heads in shame when a man like yourself tells them to stop 'bleating', think that watching an action movie is the height of culture...
    And to make your point clear you punctuate your opinion with ffs, the equivalent of pounding your fist on the table.

I'm sure as a man of the ordinary people you prefer to wear some clothes from Penneys or Dunnes. But be aware that even the cheapest threads are inspired by Haute Couture. High Fashion is the art, everyday clothes are the imitations. Those who create the originals are artists and deserve, depending on individual taste, to be admired.

You see, it's not about elitist stuff, it's about beauty, style and poise. People who despise beauty (and beautiful things) despise life. That's rather sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

His cat is going is going to be in the money.

Cats have to eat as well,doncha know!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

how philistine. you could belittle almost any artistic accomplishments in that manner. sure all picasso did was paint pictures with funny looking backward faces.

Seems like a fair assessment all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Carry wrote: »
    Let me guess. You like sports where 'real' men beat the brains out of each other, you love fast food, love to drink yourself senseless, complain about women who are in your opinion not sexy enough, think generally that women should know their place and should hang their heads in shame when a man like yourself tells them to stop 'bleating', think that watching an action movie is the height of culture...
    And to make your point clear you punctuate your opinion with ffs, the equivalent of pounding your fist on the table.

I'm sure as a man of the ordinary people you prefer to wear some clothes from Penneys or Dunnes. But be aware that even the cheapest threads are inspired by Haute Couture. High Fashion is the art, everyday clothes are the imitations. Those who create the originals are artists and deserve, depending on individual taste, to be admired.

You see, it's not about elitist stuff, it's about beauty, style and poise. People who despise beauty (and beautiful things) despise life. That's rather sad.

/Stands on desk. Oh captain my captain.....

:pac:

Did you stare out the window after you wrote that and cry softly in despair thinking of all those beasts who don't understand high fashion. Bloody ... beasts!

Everything's going to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

So you picked up just any social media cliche, slur, phrase and use them all in two paragraphs without really knowing what they mean. It's fascinating, sometimes people use big words without knowing what they mean but you are already tripping on the small ones.

Anyway I think we got that you don't like high fashion, the rest is a bit fuzzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Candie wrote: »
    And soccer is just a load of guys in shorts chasing a ball.

Life would be very colourless and dull if we didn't have frivolous things to distract us from the greyness of routine. The world is a duller place without outrageous or creative characters and there's no shame in enjoying sports or fashion or music even if it serves no other purpose but to entertain and amuse us.

I only every once bought a designer piece of clothing. A Versace Versus range t-shirt. I paid £110 for it in Harrods London in 1996, in a moment of madness I admit. A very thin velvety material with an incredibly luxurious feel to it in a glossy red color, no garish bragish logos.

This was during erm, my disco bunny days. I adored it and some ppl adored me for it in the nightclubs probably thinking I had a thicker wallet than I had. But the point is, as you made Candie, it was something to be enjoyed.

To this day it is in exactly the same condition it was when I bought it after wearing it out countless times. I'm still shocked it does't have a single mark on it. I can still fit into it but that's only because ...it's stretchy : )

And here it is today in better condition that I am!

versus.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Miranda priestly, is that you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Miranda priestly, is that you? :D

I feel flattered :cool:

I knew while writing it sounded somehow familiar. I got right in the swing of it. Cultural references, eh? :D
    Thanks for reminding me.

Now, where is my Chanel handbag, have to rush for lunch with Donatella ...

writes she sitting in crocs, jeans and woolly jumper, trying not to think about the hoovering that still needs to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Beauty, style and poise in an industry that is second only to oil in terms of its environmental impact. Almost 250 million tonnes of clothes send to landfill each year, 1.2 billion tonnes of carbon emissions, waterways awash with synthetic fibres as up to 700000 fibres are released in each wash cycle in a domestic washing machine, not to mention the slave like conditions needed for the machine to churn out more and more clothing to keep the people chasing what is deemed fashionable. We are all guilty to some degree but we should be trying to reign in the fashion industry and not put it on a pedestal

Yeah Chanel is just like Penny's. It would bw better to buy a few more expensive clothes made from natural materials than a tonne of plastic from fast fashion brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

AllForIt wrote: »
    I only every once bought a designer piece of clothing. A Versace Versus range t-shirt. I paid £110 for it in Harrods London in 1996, in a moment of madness I admit. A very thin velvety material with an incredibly luxurious feel to it in a glossy red color, no garish bragish logos.

This was during erm, my disco bunny days. I adored it and some ppl adored me for it in the nightclubs probably thinking I had a thicker wallet than I had. But the point is, as you made Candie, it was something to be enjoyed.

To this day it is in exactly the same condition it was when I bought it after wearing it out countless times. I'm still shocked it does't have a single mark on it. I can still fit into it but that's only because ...it's stretchy : )

And here it is today in better condition that I am!

versus.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous color and sheen. I'd love to be able to wear that shade!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'd love to be able to wear that shade!

Why can't you? Do you work as a bull trainer or something?

sabat wrote: »
    Why can't you? Do you work as a bull trainer or something?

It's just a color that doesn't suit me, it makes me look washed out.

Plus I'm a part time Matador.

Absolutely gorgeous color and sheen. I'd love to be able to wear that shade!

It's not quite as bright red in reality as the pic suggests, as I see it on my screen anyway, it's a little bit darker red than that. I took the pic under a very bright light.

It did suit me. I have black hair and I wore it with a black pair of pants and black boots complete with a diamond encrusted belt that set it off. You know that look. Well okay, it wasn't a diamond encrusted belt just a bog standard silver studded belt : )

I could probably sell it now and even get more than I paid for it given it's 23 years ago since I bought it, but I'm the nostalgic type and I would never depart with it for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Sorry to interrupt the love-in but people who think the fuss over him is nonsense are not all philistines who don't appreciate beauty.
    I enjoyed him upsetting people too. Miserable offended fu8ks.

Rip great man
    Lame reason to think someone is a great man. Really sad.

And yet you've zero evidence of the above. But YOU'RE the open minded one.

Also when he was obese himself once, throwing insults at less overweight people is the height of arrogance.

Someone here even said he wasn't that skilled a designer but he "created a narrative" or something. Lol. The emperor has no Chanel clothes it appears.

I can't know for sure but he was reputedly a nasty piece of work, as are numerous involved in that industry.

• Advertisement

Someone here even said he wasn't that skilled a designer but he "created a narrative" or something. Lol. The emperor has no Chanel clothes it appears.

I said he wasn't most interesting which is different. Demna Gvasalia or Alessandro Michelle are more fascinating and personally I prefer Pheobe Philo type of clothing. But that doesn't mean he was not a great designer and immensely skilled. He just designed for Chanel customer. Anyway if you knew anything about Chanel fashion shows you'd understand what I meant. But you jyst came in her to sprout a few cliches. 'Emperor has no Chanel clothes'? What does that even mean in context of you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

But be aware that even the cheapest threads are inspired by Haute Couture. High Fashion is the art, everyday clothes are the imitations. Those who create the originals are artists and deserve, depending on individual taste, to be admired.

Yes people who design clothes can have a talent. Are they artisitc. Yes. Are they artistic in the same was as a musician or a painter. Maybe to a degree but its not the same in my opinion. A Picasso or Pink Floyd's The Wall has way more artistic merit than the dress a certain designer made. I would view a designer as more of an architect per se.

The idea of the fashion industry itself i find vile. Another way to judge people solely based on what they wear. The amount of pressure exerted by the industry to look a certain way especially for women i find appalling.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Yes people who design clothes can have a talent. Are they artisitc. Yes. Are they artistic in the same was as a musician or a painter. Maybe to a degree but its not the same in my opinion. A Picasso or Pink Floyd's The Wall has way more artistic merit than the dress a certain designer made. I would view a designer as more of an architect per se.

Bitching over which artistic talent if better or lesser than another is a bit petty imo. All those talents add to the colorfulness of human life.
    The idea of the fashion industry itself i find vile. Another way to judge people solely based on what they wear. The amount of pressure exerted by the industry to look a certain way especially for women i find appalling.

Your talking about the business side of things rather than the craft per se. You could argue every major industry is vile in some way. If one buys material stuff to make themselves feel better than anyone else, like the latest car for example, that's their problem.

Advertisement