Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Influencers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Shepherds will always be employed once there are sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

wasn't there a story recently where some snowflake was crying because she didnt get hotel room or meal in Dublin and was told to take a hike :pac:

I get advertising business properly, but some twat claiming they have following and will promote your business is most stupid thing to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I think if someone introduced themselves to me as a social influencer I'd punch them in the fucking face.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've no issue with these people. They saw a gap in the market and exploited it to their own gain, fair play to them. They're not doing any harm.

It's the people who follow them religiously I'd judge.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Why I don't get is people who follow them are usually envious or admiring of their lavish lifestyle ignoring the fact that they are funding it by following them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I know a girl who is trying to become one of these. She fancies herself as some sort of lifestyle guru. In reality she's a bit thick.

Started off with "designing" her self build home. Then came all the interior posts. Like all these "influencers" every wall in the house is grey, along with every piece of grey furniture.

Then her and her fella got married last year. Again she went on about her wedding as if by having a civil ceremony was a totally new and unique experience and "blogged" every minute of it, including on her wedding day. I believe she spent most of her wedding day at the top table on her phone looking at the likes she was receiving on her instagram. Funny thing is that she doesn't have a big following outside her friends and family (who were at said wedding). Its monkey see monkey do with the likes of her, who hang on every word of these "influencers". Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I used to follow one because I found her genuinely funny and she wasn’t really a shill. I unfollowed her recently because there’s only so many hours in the day. I just didn’t have time to watch her videos.

I know a few people who want to be influencers and honestly, it’s depressing. I think what depresses me is how much of your downtime you’ve to give up to try and make it happen. The wannabe influencers that I know all have day jobs because they need them. So when do they get time to decompress after work like everyone else? To be a successful one, you need to sign away a lot of your life and make yourself a commodity.

My OH and I had a bit of a row about this at the weekend - I think the amount of attention-seekers has likely been constant throughout time but that there are more avenues for attention-seekers now whereas he just thinks there are more attention-seekers now.

A guy OH works with is really trying to be an influencer and is glomming onto mental health and fitness to try and make it happen. He has around 2000 followers on Instagram. A woman in their workplace is also one, with about 20,000 followers. Apparently ‘2000 followers’ guy could not hide his envy that she had ten times his following.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If you want to know my real opinion on this be sure to check out my insta stories, like and subscribe to my YouTube channel and give this post a thumbs up. Thanks guys.

I used to follow a 'fitness and lifestyle' influencer but I stopped as there were just too many Instagram stories. I felt like I knew too much about her from the second she got up the morning until she laid her head at night.

YES, this is it. That’s why I stopped following the one influencer I followed. I just felt like I knew too much about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Youtube is making a lot of folks wealthy.

It's crazy what people will subscribe to.

For instance I follow a long distance truck driver in the States who vlogs his journeys.

The only problem now is that the fcker is getting too big for his boots with his youtube cheques and endorsement deals and is talking about quitting the trucking business to focus solely on vlogging his home life. :mad:

We watch for the scenery mate, not your personal life. Now show me the back roads of Idaho again. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

For instance I follow a long distance truck driver in the States who vlogs his journeys.

I dont specifically follow one but I like one who travels with his cat in the truck and its basically footage of his cat sleeping/playing/eating/looking out the window.

His cat is actually the social influencer.

Then again, the proper use of the interwebs IS to watch cat videos so I feel ok about watching.

The only problem now is that the fcker is getting too big for his boots with his youtube cheques and endorsement deals and is talking about quitting the trucking business to focus solely on vlogging his home life. :mad:

We watch for the scenery mate, not your personal life. Now show me the back roads of Idaho again. :mad:

I still reckon it’s like, say, the acting profession where only like the top 5% or so make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I've been influenced by boards.ie to hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think it's good. There's millions of youtube channels/twitter users/instagram users out there. Follow who you like. Before people had to make it onto TV or radio. This cuts that part out.
    2 people (twins) that used to live near me started a youtube channel. They were idiots imho, a bit like Jedward. They started up a youtube channel and now earn €2m a year and drive around in Audi r8's! Fair play to them.

The beauty of it is you can follow who you like. Or ignore it altogether.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Social influencers have no impact on my life. Now I'm off to put on my waist trainer, down a Vit Hit tea and then brighten my teeth with my Hi Smile all while wearing my valentines garb from @fashionnova

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

The term influencer genuinely bothers me.

Its like the advertising industry couldn't be arsed trying anymore instead they're like lets get these people to influence you because you're incapable of forming your own opinion on anything.

With that said it appears to be another side effect of people incapable of living life without their phones in their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

A barometer of how fcuked the world is, that these people exist, and there's an actual term for them.
    Isn’t it similar to an actor advertising aftershave or hair dye? It’s just the natural extension of capitalism and marketing. It’s just very targeted marketing at a very specific audience.

But to answer the question I don’t subscribe to any or know any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Red_Wake wrote: »
    It's made stalking young attractive women easier than ever.

This would be funny if it weren't true.

Isn’t it similar to an actor advertising aftershave or hair dye? It’s just the natural extension of capitalism and marketing. It’s just very targeted marketing at a very specific audience.

To me, the difference is that the model does their day’s work and goes home. Social influencers have to almost make their whole life a commodity to be successful and even then it’s not guaranteed. Now, if someone wants to do that and is happy to, let them off. But I would fücking hate it myself. It seems like giving up a lot for possibly quite meagre returns.

The influencer I used to follow has around 50k Youtube subscribers and around 20k Instagram followers. She says she makes about $200 per month plus a small amount of freebies. It’s basically just a hobby for her because there’s not that much filthy lucre in it. And it’s not that easy to get 20k followers on IG!

And surely the more people try to enter the field, the less money there is to go around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

And it’s not that easy to get 20k followers on IG!

You can buy them.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    You can buy them.

Yeah, but companies are wising up to that now. They look at how many people interact with a social influencer’s page. Sometimes buying followers can make things worse because it means that an even smaller percentage of your total followers are actually interacting with your page.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I have a big enough folowing(for me but not compared to mega influencer types) on instagram, just shy of 30k. I didn't set out to have that many followers, it just happened. It is hobby based not about me or my life and I have so far refused all offers of freebies etc but who knows if the right thing comes along in the future maybe I would be tempted.
    I wouldn't be cut out to be an influencer though, as it is I get tons of messages every day and have had abusive messages because I didn't see and reply to the comment they posted at 3am 20 posts back. I can't imagine what it must be like for influencers with huge followings. Not to mention having reddits,gossip gurus and the like set up just to slag you off. A lot of them give up so much privacy in return for their paychecks, for me that is too high a price to pay but if they are ok with that and clearly mark ads etc I don't see a problem with what it is they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

To me, the difference is that the model does their day’s work and goes home. Social influencers have to almost make their whole life a commodity to be successful and even then it’s not guaranteed. Now, if someone wants to do that and is happy to, let them off. But I would fücking hate it myself. It seems like giving up a lot for possibly quite meagre returns.

The influencer I used to follow has around 50k Youtube subscribers and around 20k Instagram followers. She says she makes about $200 per month plus a small amount of freebies. It’s basically just a hobby for her because there’s not that much filthy lucre in it. And it’s not that easy to get 20k followers on IG!

And surely the more people try to enter the field, the less money there is to go around.

That’s a difference alright but I just see it as a matter of difference in success.

Whether it’s a Hollywood actor advertising aftershave or an actor from Geordie Shore advertising a fake tan product, it’s the same as far as I can see. The Geordie Shore actor isn’t going to make as much as the Hollywood actor so they’ll have to work more hours to sell their the products they’re endorsing. But that’s normal enough for any self employed business owner.

I wouldn’t sell my private life but it’s easy for me to say because nobody wants to but it.

That’s a difference alright but I just see it as a matter of difference in success.

Whether it’s a Hollywood actor advertising aftershave or an actor from Geordie Shore advertising a fake tan product, it’s the same as far as I can see. The Geordie Shore actor isn’t going to make as much as the Hollywood actor so they’ll have to work more hours to sell their the products they’re endorsing. But that’s normal enough for any self employed business owner.

I wouldn’t sell my private life but it’s easy for me to say because nobody wants to but it.

Sure, but the successful actor/traditional model/musician still has more set hours and defined downtime. Like I said, if people want to be an influencer and give up their own lives to that extent, they should go for it. But I’m just saying I would hate it whereas the idea of being a traditional model doesn’t fill me with dread.

I also wouldn’t say it’s the same as any small business owner. My dad was one and kept regular hours as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Couldn't care less if some sportsball person is pushing an electric shower or a cattle drench or an actor selling cat food or cologne. Doesn't mean anything to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Advertising affects us all.
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    I've no issue with these people. They saw a gap in the market and exploited it to their own gain, fair play to them. They're not doing any harm.

It's the people who follow them religiously I'd judge.
    I agree they saw an opportunity and took it - nothing wrong with that. But the ones who document every second of their life and make a big deal out of nails or whatever ****, still seem woefully vapid and narcissistic. The followers who worship them are worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here's the craic....
    If someone can make money online more power too you. Hell even well done. Problem is most people don't earn nothing or next to nothing and call themselves a "social influencer" or blogger or "content creator" (YouTuber)

You have to wade through the BS-blowing-yourself out crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Please tell us the name of the channel so we can all watch this man's fascinating journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭TheDavester

There’s one around where I am. She’s driving around in a lovely new Mercedes. There’s money to be made in any old sh*te and she’s making it so fair f*cks to her.

My brother is doing a marketing class and he was saying there’s about 60% of the class ( mainly females) are using Instagram to try and blag free things ... there’s one I know whose desperate fir A mineral company to give her free stuff so she puts it in every post she does with 50 hashtags but she’s only had 30 followers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭TheDavester

It's the self importance they give them self that's the most painful to tolerate

If you can get paid decent money for 10 mins worth of work then fair play but don't be slapped c*nt about it

Mentioned in another thread, won’t say who it was but I happened to be in a restaurant and directly facing a sort of well known one and she not once looked away from her phone, through the meal (I was seated directly viewing her) barely talked to the person she was with unless it was to get them to take a video or photo ...and the poor waitresses fawning/fangirling over her whole she barely acknowledged anyone ...they seem to have a inflated ego once they hit ‘big time’
    And think they’re saving the world with their ‘opinions’

Advertisement