Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Gammon"

Options
  • 16-12-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭

This phrase in relation to (seemingly mostly upper class) brexit supporters in the UK.

I never heard of it 3 years a go (apart from the actual meat!)

What do you take it to mean?

Is it offensive?

They call remainers "remoaners" for example all the time yet this one seems to hit a nerve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This phrase in relation to (seemingly mostly upper class) brexit supporters in the UK.

Is it offensive?

They call remainers "remoaners" for example all the time yet this one seems to hit a nerve.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gammon-left-wing-political-insult-twitter-racism-debate-right-charles-dickens-a8352281.html

Or google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Sammy 'The Raging Gammon' Wilson is a prime example of the cut.

gettyimages-1052212102-594x594.jpg?itok=5QHnmxci

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The first time I heard it was on a pre-election episode of Question Time, when someone on Twitter noticed a particular facial feature that all the pro-Brexit audience members seemed to share.

Screen-Shot-2018-05-14-at-14.57.15.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thick Ham

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

gettyimages-1052212102-594x594.jpg?itok=5QHnmxci

He's also a massive cnut.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

Isn't it funny how white people are the only people who's appearance you can comment on. White men actually. If this was an insult to flabby fat faced women there'd be murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Utter tosh.

No british men of same age who back remain have similar look?
    Not even Ken Clarke?

What next.... dem black folk have shiny white teeth. Ffs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Isn't it funny how white people are the only people who's appearance you can comment on. White men actually. If this was an insult to flabby fat faced women there'd be murder.

I just did a search on Boards and found many insults directed at Diane Abbot. Two examples:

Is there something wrong with Diane Abbot? How can she go on to SkyNews (ToryTV) so unprepared like that? She had to have been expecting to be accosted like that, on that channel, and she just comes across as some mouthbreathing moron. Is she doing it on purpose?

but it does show the undercurrent of dissatisfaction, when folks prefer to listen to him and the former oasis knuckledragger rather than any established opinion If Corbyn ever gets rid of that dire Diane Abbot idiot, he could win the next election hands down, and is currently the favourite to do

I just did a search on Boards and found many insults directed at Diane Abbot. Two examples:

That's on boards. The gammon phrase is being thrown around the Guardian and BBC etc. They'd never repeat or encourage words talking badly about a particular kind of woman. Or people of another race.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there something wrong with Diane Abbot? How can she go on to SkyNews (ToryTV) so unprepared like that? She had to have been expecting to be accosted like that, on that channel, and she just comes across as some mouthbreathing moron. Is she doing it on purpose?

but it does show the undercurrent of dissatisfaction, when folks prefer to listen to him and the former oasis knuckledragger rather than any established opinion If Corbyn ever gets rid of that dire Diane Abbot idiot, he could win the next election hands down, and is currently the favourite to do

Where did they draw attention to her appearance as a black woman as opposed to her abilities conduct and performance?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

In fairness it's mainly other white people deriding them as Gammon. The rather odd vista of people slagging off others for having the same skin tone as themselves.

That level of self hatred must eat them up inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Which of those mis about her appearance? Both are about her being an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

‘I don’t agree with your opinion on this matter, so I’m going to take the piss out of your physical appearance in an effort to totally humiliate you’

It’s classless, pitiful stuff. But it’s also wholly indicative of how nasty, and vicious politics has become.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

‘I don’t agree with your opinion on this matter, so I’m going to take the piss out of your physical appearance in an effort to totally humiliate you’

It’s classless, pitiful stuff. But it’s also wholly indicative of how nasty, and vicious politics has become.

Politics has always been nasty. Look at satirical cartoons from newspapers and magazines over the last few centuries. Stereotyping is not new.

Which of those mis about her appearance? Both are about her being an idiot.

That's true. But the classical portrayal of the appearance of mouth breathers and idiots is never of pretty people.

Insults about the physical appearance of women politicians is rare enough. I did see a few on the internet about the likes of Margaret Thatcher and Hillary Clinton. But then insults about the physical appearance of male politicians in not common either, and a lot is being made of this one instance.

That's true. But the classical portrayal of the appearance of mouth breathers and idiots is never of pretty people.

Insults about the physical appearance of women politicians is rare enough. I did see a few on the internet about the likes of Margaret Thatcher and Hillary Clinton. But then insults about the physical appearance of male politicians in not common either, and a lot is being made of this one instance.

What is a mouth breather? A living human as opposed to someone who doesn't breath, or what?

What is a mouth breather? A living human as opposed to someone who doesn't breath, or what?

An insult from those who regard others as being stupid. Like idiot, imbecile and cretin.

An insult from those who regard others as being stupid. Like idiot, imbecile and cretin.

I don't get it though, it's like calling someone a foot walker or something. Those damn heart beaters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mary Harney got a lot of appearance based abuse

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Someone who doesn't breath through their nose

• Advertisement

Mary Harney got a lot of appearance based abuse

Yes but not in the mainstream media

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I agree. Why can't we go back to the civilized gentlemen politics from the days of Julius Caesar and Brutus? The gentle cultural revolution of Chairman Mao and of course who could forget the lively debates that occurred when the brownshirts arrived.

If even we could muster a tiny percentage of the decorum Oliver Cromwell conducted himself with in this country we would never lower ourselves to such viciousness as to compare someone to a cut of ham.

How low we've sunk.

I agree. Why can't we go back to the civilized gentlemen politics from the days of Julius Caesar and Brutus? The gentle cultural revolution of Chairman Mao and of course who could forget the lively debates that occurred when the brownshirts arrived.

If even we could muster a tiny percentage of the decorum Oliver Cromwell conducted himself with in this country we would never lower ourselves to such viciousness as to compare someone to a cut of ham.

How low we've sunk.

To most people the Roman Republic and Maoist China wouldn’t be the obvious reference points they look to when assessing the state of contemporary politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The term is unpleasant, but a lot of those people who its aimed at e.g reactionary right wing white old men are just as guilty as using similarly stupid and obnoxious terms such as snowflake and SJW,,,play with fire etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

To most people the Roman Republic and Maoist China wouldn’t be the obvious reference points they look to when assessing the state of modern politics.

Surely to assess the state of anything modern you've to consider history.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,072 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is it offensive?

Sounds like it's the over-70s equivalent of the millenial snowflake.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Colour of Sammy Wilson’s face to be used for weather warnings

Storm-Sammy-696x365.jpg

https://theulsterfry.com/featured/colour-of-sammy-wilsons-face-to-be-used-for-weather-warnings/

Surely to assess the state of anything modern you've to consider history.

Yes okay, contemporary may be the more fitting word.

The quality and tone of political dialogue, at all levels, has deteriorated enormously in the last 10 years in Britain

Civility has been discarded and the art of compromise has been lost, in my opinion

Yes okay, contemporary may be the more fitting word.

The quality and tone of political dialogue, at all levels, has deteriorated enormously in the last 10 years in Britain

Civility has been discarded and the art of compromise has been lost, in my opinion

The Beast of Bolsover is no more nasty today than decades ago.

• Advertisement

The Beast of Bolsover is no more nasty today than decades ago.

Yes I gather that he has always been a thoroughly unpleasant man.

I’m not disputing that the nastiness hasn’t always existed at some level. But I do think it is at its lowest point since the 80s

Advertisement