Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Minister issues wind warning

• 18-09-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

The Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy has taken to twitter to advise us all of the possibility that it might be windy.
    According to the Minister there is the "potential for damaging gusts"
    So please be careful out there... particularly if you are homeless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All action sleeves rolled up ready for the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Olsky wrote: »
    The Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy has taken to twitter to advise us all of the possibility that it might be windy.

There are very few people in this country without a roof over their head. Actual homeless numbers are being inflated by the ‘Foreva Home’ crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Maybe he shouldn't have built the houses out of straw.

oooh minister for wind talks out of his hole, shock horror!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The opening posts of this thread read like the comments section of the Journal.

This is not a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Posters in the Journal are like the thick class in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

rusty cole wrote: »
    oooh minister for wind talks out of his hole, shock horror!!

windy hole by all account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Whats wrong with him tweeting this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ninthlife wrote: »

Obviously he shouldn’t be doing anything else but building homes by hand until all the “can’t pay, won’t pay” brigade have their fur’eva home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

It's windy out there, stay safe folks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

As well as being a Minister,he's also a TD.

You can bet your mortgage,that if he did'nt tweet about the threat,and one of his constituents got clattered by a falling tree,the aforementioned malcontents would be beside themeslves with righteous anger.

:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Get used to it...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

amcalester wrote: »
    Obviously he shouldn’t be doing anything else but building homes by hand until all the “can’t pay, won’t pay” brigade have their fur’eva home.

It's not in his remit to issue weather warnings. Tweeting for tweeting sake from a professional account is juvenile at best.

amcalester wrote: »

Won’t work brigade.

It's not in his remit to issue weather warnings. Tweeting for tweeting sake from a professional account is juvenile at best.

Hes relaying important information. His entire life doesnt have to be just about housing. Maybe hes a weather geek in his spare time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Jesus.

Jesus.

Make your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What?

Jesus.

First cousin of minister?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That's the name of the next storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

Hes relaying important information.

To be frank I think these semi permanent weather warnings designed to induce weather paranoia and fear are getting a bit ridiculous and silly.

We are already getting these weather warnings from multiple sources including met eireann.

Is it really really necessary for the Housing Minister to take onto his portfolio driving weather hysteria by warning people that it might be a bit windy or it might rain or it might be sunny tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

It actually is, since Met Eireann are part of his department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

There is no hope.

To be frank I think these semi permanent weather warnings designed to induce weather paranoia and fear are getting a bit ridiculous and silly.

We are already getting these weather warnings from multiple sources including met eireann.

Is it really really necessary for the Housing Minister to take onto his portfolio driving weather hysteria by warning people that it might be a bit windy or it might rain or it might be sunny tomorrow?

Hyperbole.

It actually is, since Met Eireann are part of his department.

You're right! Didn't know that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Might that be the Minister whose portfolio includes both Met Eireann and the National Directorate Fire and Emergency Management, the body responsible for co-ordinating the national response to severe weather events and a range of other major emergencies?

If so then I can see a pretty simple reason why such an individual might tweet a warning about the risk of severe weather.

Doesnt matter if he is Minister for Housing or Junior Minister of F All if he wants to tweet its going to be windy tomorrow he can.

Not sure what the issue is. Im sure Evelyn Cusack tweets about non weather related things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nice tactic to soften us up to be raped out of it with carbon taxes in next months budget.

Not everyone gets information from the established media. There were people on the radio today who owned more than one house when the NPPR came in. They never knew a thing about it even though I remember it being all over the radio, television and papers. If it had been on Twitter they might have found out.

• Advertisement

Hyperbole.

Whenever I hear a weather warning I am reminded of the use of fear as a means of controlling and distracting populaces in 1984

Whenever I hear a weather warning I am reminded of the use of fear as a means of controlling and distracting populaces in 1984

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

And whenever I hear one, I check that all of my windows are closed, that the dog is in and I bring the washing in off my clothes line.

In America there are full time radio and TV weather channels. Not for the faint hearted.

Why?

Because people assume that they have been around for ever but they haven't.

Issuing warning alerts about things like "It might be a bit windy" or "It might rain" serves the purpose of conditioning us into thinking that rain and wind are inherently dangerous things that we should fear rather that just perfectly normal natural weather events. Do you really thing we "need" rain and wind warnings.
    Or are they serving their purpose of making us more afraid and anxious.

• Advertisement

Because people assume that they have been around for ever but they haven't.

Issuing warning alerts about things like "It might be a bit windy" or "It might rain" serves the purpose of conditioning us into thinking that rain and wind are inherently dangerous things that we should fear rather that just perfectly normal natural weather events. Do you really thing we "need" rain and wind warnings.
    Or are they serving their purpose of making us more afraid and anxious.

I am not "conditioned" by weather forecasts. You probably should avoid them in future.

I am not "conditioned" by weather forecasts. You probably should avoid them in future.

Maybe you are not but having come from abroad I have noticed that a lot of irish people are becoming conditioned to fear and obsess about the weather and the constant weather warning are playing a bit part in developing this conditioning.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Reported. Try thinking for yourself once or twice instead of following the crowd.

Maybe you are not but having come from abroad I have noticed that a lot of irish people are becoming conditioned to fear and obsess about the weather and the constant weather warning are playing a bit part in developing this conditioning.

Where do you meet these people? They sound a bit unbalanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Maybe its the wind. I hear its a bit gusty out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Posters in the Journal are like the thick class in school.

And boards.ie posters are in the 'gifted' class :D ...

They are your friends and neighbours and your family.
    They are all the people that are a little more fearful and anxious tonight because a nationwide orange alert wind warning has been issued.

They are all the people that are a little more fearful and anxious tonight because a nationwide orange alert wind warning has been issued.

How do you know all this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Olsky wrote:
    The Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy has taken to twitter to advise us all of the possibility that it might be windy. According to the Minister there is the "potential for damaging gusts" So please be careful out there... particularly if you are homeless.

What exactly is your point? Sarcasm? Hilarious.

I hope the wind blows this thread and it's idiocy away during the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I always find it hillarious that we need others to tell us locals how we should think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Make your point.

I don’t need to, others already have.

gozunda wrote: »
    I always find it hillarious that we need others to tell us natives how we should think :rolleyes:

Well. This will get me crucified but.. The irish have a weather obsession that is abnormal and unusual.. It seems to be the main topic of conversation here. No other race has anywhere near the weather preoccupation of the Irish.
    And most other races would also think that a bit of wind would be worthy of a "weather warning" to be ridiculous and laughable

Well. This will get me crucified but.. The irish have a weather obsession that is abnormal and unusual.. It seems to be the main topic of conversation here. No other race has anywhere near the weather preoccupation of the Irish.
    And most other races would also think that a bit of wind would be worthy of a "weather warning" to be ridiculous and laughable

Someone, could have been you, made that ridiculous assertion on Boards before. An English person owned up to their country being a little bit interested in the weather as well.

Anyway it looks like next week won't be so bad.

Fairly sure winds are expected to reach about 120km/h on the west coast..

Sure it's nothing life threatening but no harm with a mid level warning. Hardly evidence of any sort of national obsession, fear or panic about anything.

Stop talking crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement